Quad bike maintenance

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Quad bike maintenance

Post by Blr243 » 10 Jan 2020, 2:46 pm

I bought a two wheel drive 25o cc Honda quad in 2005/0r 2006. It’s a fourtrax farm type bike not a sand dune race thing. I have only ever changed the oil and cleaned or replaced the air filter. It starts first time every time and is 100 per cent reliable. Occasionally as I’m scooting along in the dark at 35kph I wonder if something might give way underneath and the bike does somersaults down the track breaking my neck in the process. Apart from ensuring the wheel nuts are good and running my eye over the underside is there ball joints or bushes or grease points or anything under there that require s maintenance or observation ?
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Quad bike maintenance

Post by GQshayne » 10 Jan 2020, 7:24 pm

I think the best thing you can do is some googling, and find yourself a workshop manual and service schedule.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Stix » 10 Jan 2020, 7:29 pm

I cant give you any specific pointers BLR...

But id say that just like a car, the answer would be yes...

Get it up off the ground drop the wheels & have a look...

Maybe do an internet search for maintenance schedule for the machine...that might give you an idea of what parts are sealed/non-servicable, & which require a pressurised squirt of grease...
Check all the rubber boots for damage & steering linkages for excessive slop...split pins & hose clamps are in place & servicable, & no wires &/or liquid supply lines are hanging down...

Dont mean to tell you how to suck eggs--you probably do all this anyway...but thought id give a reply regardless...

The only reason you should come off that thing with a leg in the air is to go take a pic of a dead feral to show us... :) ...or because the farmers daughter motioned for you to come into the hay shed... :thumbsup:

:lol:

Make sure its safe mate...for both you & Diesel... :drinks:
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jan 2020, 3:34 pm

Thanks for the replies. Hopefully not too many work calls next week and I’ll make time to look under the quad. I actually have a hydraulic quad raising machine so no excuse not to give it a good inspection. Then once I can verify it’s all good ,,in the field I can relax and enjoy the ride ,wind in my face , boar and fox scent in my nostrils etc
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 17 Jan 2020, 6:49 pm

Found my quadbike manual on the internet. Printed it off. Will replace engine oil and gear case oil and air filter and spark plug. I looked under the front end and there are ball joints everywhere with rubber boots containing grease so I will replace them when I return from my next hunt. There’s nothing under there that’s looking like collapsing so I can just ride and enjoy life .... it’s normal to carry rope plugs and a mini air compressor when hunting in outback q or nsw , and it’s normal to have to stop now and then to add a bit more air if I have a slow leak somewhere. and for a while I was taking spare tyres and bead breaker too but my new place simply has nothing to puncture my tyres The soil is just so different. This next trip will be my eight th trip to the same place and not once have I needed to use the mini compressor ... that’s eight weeks of hunting with no punctures
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 17 Jan 2020, 7:26 pm

I am going to guess there are no grease nipples on these parts???

If so, unless it is an old machine, I would be getting the front off the ground and looking for play in any of them. These parts tend to wear very slowly, as they only have minimal movement compared to a bearing as an example. So I would inspect them for possible replacement. If the machine is second hand and has had a lot of use, then maybe a new set is warranted.

I would also be having a squiz at your driveshafts. The front will likely have a CV on each side joint that is worth inspecting.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 18 Jan 2020, 6:10 pm

No nipples ....that’s what I was looking for under the quad. After u mentioned getting it off ground and feeling for play I realised I should have done that when it was grounded but unfortunately it’s now back in the trailer and tied down ready for my next hunt. So I will have to check that out next time.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2020, 2:49 pm

Hardly any of em have any grease nipples anymore.

But very important to check (closely) those rubber boots around drive shafts/CV joints.
Run the tip of your finger around each and every ring/neck in the rubbers.
Check for any splits.
At rest if there is a split it can look ok at a glance, but will open and shut while driven.
Any such split will let sand in to mix with grease which in turn will become very aggressive grinding paste = $$$$$ cost
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 23 Jan 2020, 3:40 pm

I think one of them has split. So when I get home it’s get it up of the ground and start pulling stuff apart and I will sort everything same time
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel