Red belly black snake vs Amarok

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Red belly black snake vs Amarok

Post by Stu222 » 19 Jan 2020, 10:04 pm

Hi Gents,

Thought I’d share a picture of a snake which climbed into the engine bay of the Ute while we were out scouting for fallow outside Benalla.

Unfortunately that property was sold due to the dairy downturn. Back into the state forests we go.

Cheers,
Attachments
795C17BE-1520-4BE9-8529-93E6E38A78CE.jpeg
795C17BE-1520-4BE9-8529-93E6E38A78CE.jpeg (489.21 KiB) Viewed 6685 times
Stu222
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Red belly black snake vs Amarok

Post by Ferrisweil » 19 Jan 2020, 10:15 pm

s**t. Interesting looking pipes in the Amarock!
Ferrisweil
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by No1Mk3 » 20 Jan 2020, 10:30 am

Oh well, if he settles at least you won't have to worry about Browns or Tigers getting in there!
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Jan 2020, 4:01 pm

Blends in well... ;)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2020, 5:45 pm

Well thats evolution for ya...!!

Snakes evolving to look like fancy braided hose... :?

Be funny to see what a mechanic did if went to a garage & asked them to check the hoses... :lol: ...well sort of.. :silent: ...wouldn't want them to get bitten...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by marksman » 20 Jan 2020, 6:44 pm

WTF
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 20 Jan 2020, 7:47 pm

Somebody in the news died recently from snake bite. U all be carefull out there.!.... A bite in the bush is a bite a long way from a hospital
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 20 Jan 2020, 8:32 pm

Yes BLR youre right...
I havent seen a snake for years... :unknown:

But the last trip out couple of weeks ago, i walked out the shack with thongs on & a blacky shot off toward me & under my left foot in his mad attempt to get away from me...
He darted right into a hole in the ground & moved with such speed it id have had no hope of not stepping on him if he wasnt quick...

My heart skipped a beat & i took a minute to think about what just happened, because the farmer wasnt home & i was atleast half hour away from the nearest help...not sure how long it takes for the venom to kick in, & i hope i never find out...!!!!!!!!!

:wtf: ,
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 21 Jan 2020, 12:22 am

Years ago at moonie after hoping of the bikes we were just walking a vague cattle track thru a grassy paddock and I stepped on a stick rather than over it ...one step later u thought to myself that sticks a bit shinier than most so I pivoted to check it out and there’s a red belly black disappearing into the grass He just waited for the weight of me to come off his body and then carried on his merry way. No stress , no agitation no striking ..... I have heard they are much more mellow than taipans and browns ........ so important for us to remember our knee high gaiters no matter how much of a hurry we are in to go for our morning or arvo walk. Our gaiters could save our lives in the bush if we are the target of an angry snake full of venom .......
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Member-Deleted » 21 Jan 2020, 2:40 am

Yes those Taipans are agro on steroids as well, That red belly black was most likely chasing warmth from the engine . It'd be tricky getting a hose clamp on it. :lol:
Member-Deleted

Post by Die Judicii » 22 Jan 2020, 7:19 pm

I was once privy to a demonstration by a CSIRO officer with a Red Belly Black.
He was apparently following the major shows, and used to give info and show onlookers all manner of snakes.
The entire truck was a combination of series of locked containers,,, each one holding a particular reptile.

He was pulled over in a parking bay and having a rest, and when I commented on the myriad of little doors, he told me what they were for.
We got talking and he started telling me about the Red Belly Blacks.
He described them as snakes that only bite 12 or 13 year old boys.

From the obviously puzzled look on my face he expanded to say that they (the snakes) usually mind their own business and try to avoid
conflict,,,,,, and more often than not only 12 or 13 year old boys that persisted in annoying them would wind up getting bitten.

Then he said,,,, "I'll show you"
He opened a door up and got a pretty big fat Red Belly Black out,, and put it on the ground.
The old snake started to slither along the ground, and he kept stepping across in front of it.
Every time he stepped across, the snake would veer away to either side,,, and never showed any sign of striking at him.

He kept that up long enough for me to really understand what he was showing me,, then caught it, and placed it back in its little mobile motel.

I really appreciated him taking the time and effort to show me when he really didn't have to. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 22 Jan 2020, 9:31 pm

Stix wrote:Yes BLR youre right...
I havent seen a snake for years... :unknown:

But the last trip out couple of weeks ago, i walked out the shack with thongs on & a blacky shot off toward me & under my left foot in his mad attempt to get away from me...
He darted right into a hole in the ground & moved with such speed it id have had no hope of not stepping on him if he wasnt quick...

My heart skipped a beat & i took a minute to think about what just happened, because the farmer wasnt home & i was atleast half hour away from the nearest help...not sure how long it takes for the venom to kick in, & i hope i never find out...!!!!!!!!!

:wtf: ,

Red bellies are one of the least of your concern as far as Aussie venomous snakes go. You'd have been able to drive for help no problem while keeping to the speed limit.
Now if it were a brown or tiger then you might want to speed on your drive to get to help.
If a Taipan you'd be wanting to active your PLB and move as little as possible...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 9:52 pm

Ah thanks YoungBuck... :thumbsup:

Its got me thinkin about the gators...but i only like wearing them.in winter...cos they're just so cosy n warm... :)

And i dont have a PLB so id be screwed i spose ... :cry:

Cheers... :)
:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Member-Deleted » 22 Jan 2020, 11:09 pm

There was a story going around years ago about a fella being bit on the foot ,through his sandshoe by a brown . He survived and months later he put his sandshoes back on only to be rushed to hospital by ambulance . they told him that he'd be bitten again, he said that was impossible but remembered a sting when he pulled his sandshoe on so they checked inside it and found that one of the browns fangs had broken off and was still imbedded in the wall of the shoe. He again survived probably not enough venom the second time.
Member-Deleted

Post by Stix » 22 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm

So whats the moral of the story ?

If you get bitten once & survive, you go hunting naked from then on... 8-) :problem: :silent: :unknown:

:)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 23 Jan 2020, 5:25 am

That's what i hear, the the ted belt are very docile, but importantly they are very territorial, and kick out all other types of snakes. Not that i care, it's a snake is enough for me to get my running shoes on..... which then reminds me of the time when i was working on cement sheets only to lift up the last one and see 3 tigers nicely coiled up having a sleep.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Member-Deleted » 23 Jan 2020, 9:45 am

I don't know what the moral is Stix maybe ''Don't wear sandshoe's'' or maybe '' Third strike your out'' who knows . :thumbsup: :)
Member-Deleted

Post by doc » 23 Jan 2020, 12:28 pm

Die Judicii wrote:I was once privy to a demonstration by a CSIRO officer with a Red Belly Black.
He was apparently following the major shows, and used to give info and show onlookers all manner of snakes.
The entire truck was a combination of series of locked containers,,, each one holding a particular reptile.

He was pulled over in a parking bay and having a rest, and when I commented on the myriad of little doors, he told me what they were for.
We got talking and he started telling me about the Red Belly Blacks.
He described them as snakes that only bite 12 or 13 year old boys.

From the obviously puzzled look on my face he expanded to say that they (the snakes) usually mind their own business and try to avoid
conflict,,,,,, and more often than not only 12 or 13 year old boys that persisted in annoying them would wind up getting bitten.

Then he said,,,, "I'll show you"
He opened a door up and got a pretty big fat Red Belly Black out,, and put it on the ground.
The old snake started to slither along the ground, and he kept stepping across in front of it.
Every time he stepped across, the snake would veer away to either side,,, and never showed any sign of striking at him.

He kept that up long enough for me to really understand what he was showing me,, then caught it, and placed it back in its little mobile motel.

I really appreciated him taking the time and effort to show me when he really didn't have to. :thumbsup:

Those demonstrations are always interesting - and while the CSIRO officer's comments are close to the mark - snake demonstrations need to be taken with a grain of salt simply because they are used to human contact. This does have some impact on their behaviour. (Coming from someone who has owned snakes).

So it's all well and good to say "I'll prove it" and bring out a snake - but in the end remember - YMMV.

Kinda like the youtube video of bloke in thongs who stayed still while a snake was coming towards him and went between his legs to at the last minute turn around and bite. I figure 9 times out of 10 that probably wouldn't have happened, but there are always different circumstances, snakes that have had different experiences/contacts with humans in the past, different scent on someone's legs today than other days, etc that can change their behaviour.
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Die Judicii » 23 Jan 2020, 12:56 pm

Hey Stu222,,,,,,,,
I meant to say, Great Photo Mate,,

But if i were you I'd check under the bonnet a bit further down the track just in case,,,
Your heater hoses might start having babies. :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jan 2020, 1:41 pm

That's weird the engines making a hissing sound :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Stix » 23 Jan 2020, 2:03 pm

bigfellascott wrote:That's weird the engines making a hissing sound :lol:

:lol: :lol: ..... :thumbsup:

Thats why i suggested a mechanic check the hoses... ;)
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel