Darn cv boots

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Darn cv boots

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 12:13 pm

Was doin a tyre rotation this morning noticed a split boot about midway along. Half circular split not all the way. Going away for a hunting for a week Monday night don’t have time to fix it. After I leave the bitumen I have 20 k of dirt then I’m at the property gate if I can brave the cold during the night and stick to my quad bike I can not use my hilux until I drive back onto the bitumen. ( to minimise dust entry. ) boot still contains lots grease. Can I just split a new boot over it and duct tape and cable ties? I won’t be engaging 4wd so it’s not goin to be spinning ...
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Re: Darn cv boots

Post by Stix » 13 Jun 2020, 12:32 pm

I dont know BLR...but id just do something like that... :thumbsup:

Cover/wrap it in something & zip ties...Take spare stuff with you to re-do it incase the cover up fails...
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2020, 12:32 pm

Blr243 wrote:Was doin a tyre rotation this morning noticed a split boot about midway along. Half circular split not all the way. Going away for a hunting for a week Monday night don’t have time to fix it. After I leave the bitumen I have 20 k of dirt then I’m at the property gate if I can brave the cold during the night and stick to my quad bike I can not use my hilux until I drive back onto the bitumen. ( to minimise dust entry. ) boot still contains lots grease. Can I just split a new boot over it and duct tape and cable ties? I won’t be engaging 4wd so it’s not goin to be spinning ...

Clean it up with brake cleaner, get the $5 roll of black 50mm tape from Bunnings, wrap it up with a few layers.
https://www.bunnings.com.au/bear-48mm-x-30m-black-pvc-duct-tape_p1661581
Not the cloth-backed stuff.
Check it every time you stop and add a bit if required, but I reckon it would last the trip, it's great stuff.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JSS » 13 Jun 2020, 12:34 pm

That sucks, and yes you can throw another boot over it, but if you don't want to cut another boot you can just sikaflex the split together, let it go off overnight then duct or race tape around it. I've seen it done before and I'd be very surprised if it didn't go the distance.until you got home.
JSS
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 12:56 pm

This is sounding good. Never heard of brake cleaner. Super cheap is ten mins away. If I don’t want to use brake cleaner I’m thinking a rag and hot soapy water. And then the black tape.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2020, 1:06 pm

JSS wrote:That sucks, and yes you can throw another boot over it, but if you don't want to cut another boot you can just sikaflex the split together, let it go off overnight then duct or race tape around it. I've seen it done before and I'd be very surprised if it didn't go the distance.until you got home.

I haven't had great results with sikaflex or silicones on CV boots.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2020, 1:07 pm

Blr243 wrote:This is sounding good. Never heard of brake cleaner. Super cheap is ten mins away. If I don’t want to use brake cleaner I’m thinking a rag and hot soapy water. And then the black tape.

Brake cleaner and Carb cleaner are amazing, they clean extremely well but completely evaporate leaving a perfectly clean surface. Hot soapy water will clean it, but it'll be bloody awkward crawling around under there.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Jun 2020, 2:48 pm

Stretch cv boots for the win and the tool to do them with. There not to bad to do either
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lebner » 13 Jun 2020, 4:49 pm

Ya can buy a split boot kit, cut off ya old one squash a mob of moly grease in the CV joint and bolt on the kit.
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 6:03 pm

Blade, your emphasis on how great brake cleaner is was enough to make me go get some. AZZA can u please re phrase I’m having trouble understanding your sentence? Lebner. I will research the split boot option. The first time I tried my own cv boot I did something wrong and it had a flow on effect with damage to other things. It caused me a ton of inconvenience. Broke down in the middle of no where and could not get parts for days. spent money on accomodation it happened three times brake line and wheel bearing damage and a the list goes on a total nightmare...( and at one stage the Ute slipped of the jack rolled back and nearly crushed me too. It was the fastest I ever moved from underneath a vehicle) .....even if a split boot kit is not as good as a conventional unit it might get me out of trouble. For now ........am grateful for the advice!
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Jun 2020, 6:14 pm

Blr243 there are stretch cv boots that you can use. The great thing is you dont have to take the cv appart to replace the boot. The tool speads the boot and presto nice quick cv boot replacement.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2020, 6:49 pm

Blr243 wrote:Blade, your emphasis on how great brake cleaner is was enough to make me go get some. AZZA can u please re phrase I’m having trouble understanding your sentence? Lebner. I will research the split boot option. The first time I tried my own cv boot I did something wrong and it had a flow on effect with damage to other things. It caused me a ton of inconvenience. Broke down in the middle of no where and could not get parts for days. spent money on accomodation it happened three times brake line and wheel bearing damage and a the list goes on a total nightmare...( and at one stage the Ute slipped of the jack rolled back and nearly crushed me too. It was the fastest I ever moved from underneath a vehicle) .....even if a split boot kit is not as good as a conventional unit it might get me out of trouble. For now ........am grateful for the advice!

I've heard of split boots but never used one. They open along one side so you wrap it around the joint without having to disassemble it.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 13 Jun 2020, 6:51 pm

AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Blr243 there are stretch cv boots that you can use. The great thing is you dont have to take the cv appart to replace the boot. The tool speads the boot and presto nice quick cv boot replacement.

My mechanic at the time swore by these stretch boots, loved them, but I've never used them myself. If the boot is torn I prefer to take the time to inspect the joint thoroughly.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Jun 2020, 7:52 pm

Thank you all. Tomorrow’s and Monday I get onto it.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 13 Jun 2020, 8:04 pm

bladeracer wrote:
AZZA'S HJ47 wrote:Blr243 there are stretch cv boots that you can use. The great thing is you dont have to take the cv appart to replace the boot. The tool speads the boot and presto nice quick cv boot replacement.

My mechanic at the time swore by these stretch boots, loved them, but I've never used them myself. If the boot is torn I prefer to take the time to inspect the joint thoroughly.

If your onto a split boot early enough and you know the condition of the vehicle it shouldn't be an issue and some drive shafts can be a real pain in the backside to get apart. The stretch boot is a god send in particular if your time poor.
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by kneelo » 13 Jun 2020, 9:05 pm

Ive use red silicon and pvc duct tape for a temporary repair on a split boot and it worked so well i ended up leaving it for 20000k before i got a chance to fix it properly. As long as you get it early enough before any dirt gets in the joint its all good.
kneelo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Lebner » 13 Jun 2020, 9:26 pm

I've had one lock up after running dogs up the sand near Darwin, at 70kms it rips ya off a road real quick!! Theres no point inspecting a CV , repair it enough for the trip and replace both sides each when you return.. they've all done the same amount of revolutions
Lebner
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Jun 2020, 9:32 pm

Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2020, 1:19 pm

Ta for the link TT. i now have so many options. I have been doin some maintenance work on my quad bike. When this rain stops I can finish loading my truck to go away .......and then point my hilux in the direction of the bush ....I have fitted a soap dispenser on the side of my quad. It’s full of pilchard oil. It’s on the shelf next to the tuna oil at the fishing shops I’m going to offload it as I driv all my bush tracks. Hopefully I get some foxes and cats hanging about.
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2020, 1:44 pm

Blr243 wrote:Ta for the link TT. i now have so many options. I have been doin some maintenance work on my quad bike. When this rain stops I can finish loading my truck to go away .......and then point my hilux in the direction of the bush ....I have fitted a soap dispenser on the side of my quad. It’s full of pilchard oil. It’s on the shelf next to the tuna oil at the fishing shops I’m going to offload it as I driv all my bush tracks. Hopefully I get some foxes and cats hanging about.

Just remember how good their sense of smell is BLR...
I dont know how stupid the foxes are up there, but ive seen them run from bait ive laid before--infact got it on camera to prove foxes--& even crows--will not take a bait if they suspect something out of place...
I guess im saying dont over do it...they only need the slightest of a hint of a smell in a constant trail, they dont need big globs every 2m.
(think of an injured animal the fox is tracking--it doesnt leave a big glob of smell every 5 metres with no smell in between).

Just giving you food for thought from how id approach it, not telling you how to do it... :)
The man who knows everything, doesnt really know everything...he's just stopped learning...
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2020, 2:38 pm

Point noted stix. I see small game randomly within range of the tracks I travel ( sometimes scarce and occasionally plentiful) I was just going to mark my quad trails in the hope of drawing them closer to increase my sightings and opportunities but It certainly won’t hurt for me to put some thought into it
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Stix » 14 Jun 2020, 3:05 pm

Blr243 wrote:Point noted stix. I see small game randomly within range of the tracks I travel ( sometimes scarce and occasionally plentiful) I was just going to mark my quad trails in the hope of drawing them closer to increase my sightings and opportunities but It certainly won’t hurt for me to put some thought into it

I wasnt suggesting you werent putting any thought into it BLR--sorry if you get that impression...

I just wrongly assumed you might think a big glob every now & then will always create a trail...but i see now you you say that, that scent points along your bike trails...i think thats a good thing... :thumbsup: ...so sorry for my poor assumptions.

I will say this though...if you are just leaving a scent, the likelyhood of the fox sticking around for a great amount of time is unlikely...if they cant find substance after nose full of rotting filth, they will soon wander off...
Ive found they dont stand still for very long at all if there is just a smell--so getting a sound shot into one walking in circles is a bit tricky...
Thats where a tied down bait is invaluable.

Think of you at the end of a night of Rum & you smell the Yiros shop...if the line-up is so long that its quicker for you to go to the next shop & youre starving with those smells making your hunger even worse...after hanging around & assesing all your optins, you'll soon leave on the search for the next greasy food outlet...

Thats my exoperience with them anyway...foxes dont hangaround for great amounts of time if no fulfillment is on offer...But you'll be good if youre hanging around to ambush... :thumbsup:

:drinks:
Stix
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Blr243 » 14 Jun 2020, 5:38 pm

All good. I’m the first to admit I never gave it much thought. I will post my success/ or lack of next week .....so looking forward to a week away after so long stuck in the city
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel