Trac Grabbers

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Trac Grabbers

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2020, 7:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:On a side note I did wonder if you could use some short lengths of heavy chain like the track grabbers then bolt them in place or use shackles lol

Bloody good thinking 99
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2020, 7:27 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:Mud chains are a thing, just like snow chains. Military used to issue them allot but i think there effectiveness was marginal.

The grippier the tread the more they bite. The more they bite the more material you move and the track wears down or away more and more. Guys with big mud tyres are always ripping up tracks instead of just plodding through. And after a bit of use its gone from passable to a challenge.

An interesting one is undtitching beams for tracks, tried during WW1 to help tanks.

Yay Caveman,,,,,,,,
I did the same thing (in minature) on a half track machine that I built in the 70s
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by CAVEMAN » 18 Aug 2020, 7:30 pm

http://www.tankarchives.ca/2016/03/the-log.html

The concept is sound, but damn would it be some work.
"Well if it ain't an 8 inch, i'm not paying"

Some guy on the internet circa 2020
CAVEMAN
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 18 Aug 2020, 7:48 pm

CAVEMAN wrote:http://www.tankarchives.ca/2016/03/the-log.html

The concept is sound, but damn would it be some work.

As i said,, i did it but in "small scale"

I used an aluminium scaffolding plank that was carried with the machine,,,, and was only used in sand hills back off the ocean.
Quick and easy with chain hooks/links.
Damm,,,,, I wish I still had pics so I could post.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 19 Aug 2020, 5:27 pm

OldBloke - Have a watch of Ronny. Knows his stuff about 4x4.
https://youtu.be/SntXKcKKvW8
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 11 Sep 2020, 10:44 pm

Buy MaxTrax and forget the rest. We work everywhere from Kimberley to WA south coast to the deserts. That is all we rely on.

Quality and reliability is everything, especially when you are stuck in the middle of knowhere. Do not sacrifice your safety for $100
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Tiger650 » 11 Sep 2020, 11:31 pm

Not suggesting that there are any dodgy folk around here but I have heard that cut up milk crate sections connected by several big cable ties make passable traction mats at small cost.
A really dodgy bloke would leave enough slack in the cable ties to allow the arrangement to fold up flat for convenient and innocuous storage within the vehicle.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Skinna » 12 Sep 2020, 3:15 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Not suggesting that there are any dodgy folk around here but I have heard that cut up milk crate sections connected by several big cable ties make passable traction mats at small cost.
A really dodgy bloke would leave enough slack in the cable ties to allow the arrangement to fold up flat for convenient and innocuous storage within the vehicle.

:lol:

Nothin dodgy bout that Tiger...its all about what works, & i have absolutely no doubt they would work considerably better than nothing at all.

They might not be something you'd rely on for trekking across the desert or extreme long outback adventures, but surely they's suit as a backup for the odd sandy farm or low-lying dished mud/(sh!t) pit on a cattle or dairy farm... :thumbsup:

And anyway...who you rekon these dodgy folk are that would try something like that eh.? ;)
:lol:
Skinna
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 13 Sep 2020, 6:00 am

Tiger650 wrote:Not suggesting that there are any dodgy folk around here but I have heard that cut up milk crate sections connected by several big cable ties make passable traction mats at small cost.

Bloody good idea right there! Thinking outside the b..crate!
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel