4WD needed for State Forests?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

4WD needed for State Forests?

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 28 Jul 2020, 4:08 pm

Hey guys

I hope that everyone is well

I was just wondering if I need to buy a four wheel drive to gain access into Victorian State Forests?

I guess I do
But I thought I'd ask you guys to confirm

Also
When it comes to Victorian State Forests
Do they have designated tracks there already that you can use to go through the forest?
Or do you just have to drive "off road" completely if you wanna go through the forests?

Thanks guys
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: 4WD needed for State Forests?

Post by 9.3x64 » 28 Jul 2020, 4:56 pm

Don’t forget a change in weather while you’re out hunting. It’s one thing to get in but another to get out on wet muddy roads...
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 28 Jul 2020, 5:02 pm

9.3x64 wrote:Don’t forget a change in weather while you’re out hunting. It’s one thing to get in but another to get out on wet muddy roads...

That's a great point
Thanks for the advice
Definitely something to watch out for
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2020, 7:58 pm

Change of weather can have you in strife even in a 4wd, so in a car you would be unlikely to get far on anything other than a main road. The other issue is that such roads are frequently graded with erosion mounds in them, to direct water where it is needed. In a lot of cases a 2wd vehicle would struggle to get over these.

So, on main gravel roads you would be ok, but what are the chances of good hunting opportunities just off main roads?? Low, I would think. A 4wd will open up many more opportunities for you, will carry more equipment more easily, and be safer as well. I would advise a 4wd training course for a newcomer too, before heading bush. There are many tricks to learn. Many people overlook this, thinking they know how to drive already, but if you do not know why you should be lowering your tyre pressures, or that you should not have your thumbs hooked inside the steering wheel in the rough stuff, then a training course is a good idea.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TheFirearmEnthusiast » 28 Jul 2020, 9:39 pm

GQshayne wrote:Change of weather can have you in strife even in a 4wd, so in a car you would be unlikely to get far on anything other than a main road. The other issue is that such roads are frequently graded with erosion mounds in them, to direct water where it is needed. In a lot of cases a 2wd vehicle would struggle to get over these.

So, on main gravel roads you would be ok, but what are the chances of good hunting opportunities just off main roads?? Low, I would think. A 4wd will open up many more opportunities for you, will carry more equipment more easily, and be safer as well. I would advise a 4wd training course for a newcomer too, before heading bush. There are many tricks to learn. Many people overlook this, thinking they know how to drive already, but if you do not know why you should be lowering your tyre pressures, or that you should not have your thumbs hooked inside the steering wheel in the rough stuff, then a training course is a good idea.

Awesome
Thank you so much for your comment
Thank you for taking the time to explain this to me

Yes
I will most definitely look into those 4WD training courses
Thank you for the recommendation

I'm not gonna lie
I love firearms
I really see myself loving hunting
I love being out in the bush as well
I find it so grounding to be in nature
I find it so refreshing and healthy for the mind to be out in nature

I think it's time for me to sell my car to getta 4WD

Next steps for me;
- sell my car
- buy a 4WD
- do a training course
:thumbsup:
TheFirearmEnthusiast
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jul 2020, 7:54 pm

Most 4wd's will do what the average hunter needs, so no need to be influenced by people that say you must have a Patrol with big tyres and a winch that makes 200kw at the wheels. Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

But you don't need it. Most 4wd's will do what you need to do. But like buying a firearm, there are some choices to make. Personally, I like proper 4wd's not SUV's, but I don't live in the city, so my big and heavy Patrol suits me fine.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by boingk » 29 Jul 2020, 9:14 pm

GQshayne wrote:Most 4wd's will do what the average hunter needs, so no need to be influenced by people that say you must have a Patrol with big tyres and a winch that makes 200kw at the wheels. Nothing wrong with that though. ;)

But you don't need it. Most 4wd's will do what you need to do. But like buying a firearm, there are some choices to make. Personally, I like proper 4wd's not SUV's, but I don't live in the city, so my big and heavy Patrol suits me fine.

Suzuki Jimny all the way! Or failing that, a TJ Jeep Wrangler.
Nil
boingk
Sergeant
Sergeant

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2020, 9:57 pm

Like I said in the other thread, I wouldn't rush out and buy a 4x4. After 12 months you might decide hunting isnt for you. Yes, your limited without one, but many hunters never buy one iether. There is ample access with a 2x4. You just walk more & most of us need the exercise. Lol
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Peter988 » 30 Jul 2020, 8:18 am

Some of the SUV’s can also get you most places. While not as complete as a 4x4 they can still be very effective. Have a look at the Subaru Forrester off-road clips on YouTube.
Peter988
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 30 Jul 2020, 12:51 pm

I bought a Suzuki Sierra to go hunting in NSW and VIC, it was only a few thousand. I didnt want to spent $30-40 thousand and find out its not for me. Over the years i did see a few 'soft roaders' stuck. Mostly because of poor trye choice or traction control issues. One guy in a Subaru was stuck in mud up to his floor, i stopped to a see if i could help and we worked out how to turn the traction control off and he managed to get himself out. Most of the time i was in 2 wheel drive. All the locals drived hyundai excels and ford falcons and they didn't get stuck driving through the forests.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 12:59 pm

I’ve seen Honda CRV’s go amazing places...
Even something with modern 2wd traction control will go more places than you think...many times I’ll go bush in 2wd because I like the extra drive ability - the TC sorts out the gnarly stuff.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 30 Jul 2020, 7:46 pm

Funny where your travels take you. Sometimes, it can be not quite where you planned. Or maybe it rained two days ago, and now the previously nice smooth track has a big rut in it, and now you are in the rut. Or the firm track is now soft and you are struck in it. And sometimes you are not somewhere where you can just wait ten minutes for another traveller.

In those cases, I will always want a proper 4wd. I would also not suggest a Jimny, Wrangler etc as a hunting/camping 4wd. Great for offroad fun, but hunting means equipment, and often camping which means more equipment. So a vehicle that allows you to carry your gear conveniently is a big advantage, such as a ute with a lockable canopy. Plenty of room and lockable ally canopy provides security for rifles and equipment.

Oh, and I have been hunting for a week, three people, rifles, clothing and bedding, food and cooking equipment, and a 20l drum of fuel, in a VW beetle. So yes, you can do this, but I would rather not! LOL
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 30 Jul 2020, 8:22 pm

Thing is - and some ppl are going to shoot me for this - sometimes, taking a chance is part of the fun and ppl are usually happy to help if ya not a dick. It’s part of the adventure spirit that we lose as we got older and wiser...(wider)...I remember going crazy places without mobiles and crap happening and - those times that things went south, are fond memories. I think sometimes - we can be over prepared...over connected.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by GQshayne » 31 Jul 2020, 8:04 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Thing is - and some ppl are going to shoot me for this - sometimes, taking a chance is part of the fun and ppl are usually happy to help if ya not a dick. It’s part of the adventure spirit that we lose as we got older and wiser...(wider)...I remember going crazy places without mobiles and crap happening and - those times that things went south, are fond memories. I think sometimes - we can be over prepared...over connected.

All good until you have a problem with no-one within cooee. And then that problem can cost you your life. Being unprepared for hunting will likely mean you are unsuccessful, but being unprepared in the bush can have a very poor outcome. Like you, I did stuff when I was younger I would not do now. I am still here, but others were not so lucky.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 01 Aug 2020, 9:54 am

GQshayne wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Thing is - and some ppl are going to shoot me for this - sometimes, taking a chance is part of the fun and ppl are usually happy to help if ya not a dick. It’s part of the adventure spirit that we lose as we got older and wiser...(wider)...I remember going crazy places without mobiles and crap happening and - those times that things went south, are fond memories. I think sometimes - we can be over prepared...over connected.

All good until you have a problem with no-one within cooee. And then that problem can cost you your life. Being unprepared for hunting will likely mean you are unsuccessful, but being unprepared in the bush can have a very poor outcome. Like you, I did stuff when I was younger I would not do now. I am still here, but others were not so lucky.

The common sense me agrees - the younger, hungry for adventure me, would still just “do it” with caveats in place...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel