Rifle storage during travel/camping/to and from range

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Rifle storage during travel/camping/to and from range

Post by SAnewb85 » 19 Sep 2020, 11:43 pm

hi lads, im picking up a GU patrol next week and was interested in finding a secure yet easily accessible for me system of locking my guns away.

It would have to be able to fit behind the 3rd row seats as they will be permanentlyin place, be inconspicuous if someone were to look in the back window and decently secure.
Will also be hooking up a quality alarm and gps tracking for extra peace of mind.

Cheers
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Re: Rifle storage during travel/camping/to and from range

Post by Farmerpete » 20 Sep 2020, 6:20 am

In qld the rules are locked in a container, it also specifies that a motor vehicle isn't a container. When i did my course the trainer told me I could get a gun bag with a $2 travel lock through the zippers and be compliant. As long as ammo was separated. He also told me that while in a sedan it was expected to be in the boot but they didn't mention where you should keep it in a ute,.
Farmerpete
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 20 Sep 2020, 7:32 am

Can i just leave it securely mounted to the window frame of my Ute when travelling then ?

I should probably write to them and politely enquire.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 20 Sep 2020, 10:20 am

Farmerpete wrote:In qld the rules are locked in a container, ...,.

The QLD rules actually specify 'a securely closed container with the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted' or 'in a locked container'

The accepted interpretation of this is that a soft gun bag can be used without a lock inside the vehicle as long as the bolt is removed or trigger lock fitted.
OR
The firearm must be inside a locked metal container on the inside or outside of a vehicle with nothing to suggest it might contain a firearm.

The full detail can be read in sections 95 and 96 of the QLD Weapons Regulations 2016 but as usual it doesn't give the exact information that we need
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by trekin » 20 Sep 2020, 10:26 am

Farmerpete wrote:In qld the rules are locked in a container, it also specifies that a motor vehicle isn't a container. When i did my course the trainer told me I could get a gun bag with a $2 travel lock through the zippers and be compliant. As long as ammo was separated. He also told me that while in a sedan it was expected to be in the boot but they didn't mention where you should keep it in a ute,.

rc42 wrote:

The QLD rules actually specify 'a securely closed container with the bolt removed or a trigger lock fitted' or 'in a locked container'

The accepted interpretation of this is that a soft gun bag can be used without a lock inside the vehicle as long as the bolt is removed or trigger lock fitted.
OR
The firearm must be inside a locked metal container on the inside or outside of a vehicle with nothing to suggest it might contain a firearm.

The full detail can be read in sections 95 and 96 of the QLD Weapons Regulations 2016 but as usual it doesn't give the exact information that we need

And irrelevent to the OP as it appears he is from SA.
Image Rifle stock and pistol grip reproduction.
"legally obligated to be a victim in this country"
I earned every grey hair I have.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Sep 2020, 8:19 pm

Trekin is correct. States vary when it comes to firearms law.

I found this in about 30 seconds just googling.

More here www.police.sa.gov.au/services-and-event ... nd-weapons.

Transporting firearms and ammunition - SA Policewww.police.sa.gov.au › __data › assets › pdf_file › Firear...PDF

SA Transport.JPG
SA Transport.JPG (109.91 KiB) Viewed 11968 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by duncan61 » 20 Sep 2020, 11:29 pm

There you go problem solved.In W.A.your firearm can be on the seat next to you however I choose to have mine in a bag and I have a jeep with the back seats down and use it for plumbing so I sit the bag behind the front seats.I would not lock up and go shopping on the way back from the range cos that is just dumb.When a group of us shoot the farm down south I bolt an old gun safe I have to the trailer and all the firearms go in it.It means if we stop at a roadhouse on the way we can all go in and no one has to stay at the car.We keep the ammo and bolts seperated in the car
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by AZZA'S HJ47 » 21 Sep 2020, 6:28 am

I have a lockable ammo box that is bolted into the boot of my car for ammo i also have a lockable pin that I use to lock my rifle bags to. I was pulled over once and had a cop inspect it he thought it was a great idea and wished more people thought like that.
Sako Varmint 243,Marlin 917, Lithgow La101 .22 , 1917 BSA 303 (ted), Finnish Vkt 1944 M39,T3X Super Varmint 223, Marlin 1895 SBL 45-70 Howa 1500 308, BSA CF2 222, 1911 9mm, Adler 12G, Sako 7mm rem Mag,Ruger m77 mk1 22-250AI, Rem 700 17 Rem, BSA No 5 303
AZZA'S HJ47
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by perentie » 21 Sep 2020, 7:47 am

trekin wrote:
Farmerpete wrote:In qld the rules are locked in a container, it also specifies that a motor vehicle isn't a container. When i did my course the trainer told me I could get a gun bag with a $2 travel lock through the zippers and be compliant. As long as ammo was separated. He also told me that while in a sedan it was expected to be in the boot but they didn't mention where you should keep it in a ute,.

rc42 wrote:

OR

So when travelling around OZ in a camper or caravan one has to be compliant with all the states regulations.
perentie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by trekin » 21 Sep 2020, 8:34 am

perentie wrote:
trekin wrote:

rc42 wrote:

OR

So when travelling around OZ in a camper or caravan one has to be compliant with all the states regulations.

That is correct. However the OP, who appears to be from the State of SA, has not indicated that he requires this information for the purposes of traveling interstate. And while the laws of others States is interesting for those traveling, it is mudding the waters for someone who appears to be looking for the laws relating to his home State.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 21 Sep 2020, 10:35 am

The kicker in all of it is the statement, "all reasonable precautions". So, while a gun bag secured in the boot may satisfy Mr Plod in a random circumstance, if your vehicle is broken into and the firearm is stolen, it can be seen that you didn't take "all reasonable precautions".
In the case of the NSW requirements which the minimum requirement is basically, "unloaded and out of sight", there is a bottom line that if category A & B firearms are transported in accordance with the requirements for transporting more restricted categories, you have complied with the "all reasonable precautions" clause.
Category A & B firearms must be conveyed in a manner that ensures
compliance with section 39 of the Act. The firearm must not be loaded with
any ammunition while it is being conveyed and the firearm must not be visible
from outside the vehicle.

[i]The Commissioner has determined that 'all reasonable precautions', as
required under section 39 of the Act, have been met if category A & B firearms
are conveyed in the same manner as category C, D & H firearms.
NOTE: At no time should a firearm be left stored unattended in a motor vehicle
unless the firearms are stored in accordance with the requirements of category
C, D & H firearms and no other alternative safe storage is available.
[/i]

Yes, I understand the the O.P is from S.A but they have also included the "All reasonable precautions" line in their requirements.
Personally, as someone who travels ( or at least, used to ) around Australia to attend competitions, I have always applied the most secure method I can implement. I have too much at stake to lose on a technicality or interpretation of the law.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by SAnewb85 » 21 Sep 2020, 3:35 pm

All good guys, im aware of the legislation side of it.
Was more looking for a creative and more secure option which would easily satisfy the "reasonable measures".

Chucking them in the boot isn't quite what I was after
SAnewb85
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2020, 5:49 pm

My brother has a Jeep, he has a sort of steel false floor in the rear. I gives him a padlocked secure storage area about 250mm high across the floor area. It is a commercial unit but I don't know anything about it. I could ask though if it's of interest.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 21 Sep 2020, 7:31 pm

bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 21 Sep 2020, 7:44 pm

perentie wrote:So when travelling around OZ in a camper or caravan one has to be compliant with all the states regulations.

For those travelling Australia wide it would be best to comply with all possible regulations, however, it's only required that you are compliant with the regulations of the state that you are currently in.

Another consideration might be how firearms are to be stored during the two week hotel quarantine for anyone currently travelling as those rule seem to be switched on and off for different states at the whim of politicians and it could come as a sudden surprise for somebody driving a camper and crossing a border.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by winton » 02 Oct 2020, 4:51 pm

Anyone brought their firearms whilst doing a trip to Cape York?

I am of the impression that all QLDers bring their firearms whenever they tour around the place.
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by rc42 » 02 Oct 2020, 9:02 pm

Section 5(1) of the QLD Weapons Regulations 2016:

"a licence does not authorise
possession of a weapon for or during its transportation unless
the transportation is necessarily incidental to engaging in an
activity for which the weapon may be used under the licence"

In other words, there must be some authorised activity involving firearms which is a part of the licensee's journey, they can't take firearms on a driving holiday 'just in case'.
No doubt some people do but hopefully they have a well prepared explanation if they ever get stopped by the police or the firearms get stolen.
rc42
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2020, 7:21 am

rc42 wrote:Section 5(1) of the QLD Weapons Regulations 2016:

In other words, there must be some authorised activity involving firearms which is a part of the licensee's journey, they can't take firearms on a driving holiday 'just in case'.
No doubt some people do but hopefully they have a well prepared explanation if they ever get stopped by the police or the firearms get stolen.

Once covid settles down I will be doing a lot of traveling around OZ. No going to bother bringing a firearm. Hardly likely I will use it and just too hard to comply.
But within Vic, yep, all the time.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by trekin » 03 Oct 2020, 7:39 am

rc42 wrote:Section 5(1) of the QLD Weapons Regulations 2016:

incidental
adjective: incidental

1. happening as a minor accompaniment to something else.
"for the fieldworker who deals with real problems, paperwork is incidental"
2. occurring by chance in connection with something else.
"the incidental catch of dolphins in the pursuit of tuna"
3. happening as a result of (an activity).
"the ordinary risks incidental to a fireman's job"

'Just in case I get asked out on a hunt'
'Just in case I get an invite to a club shoot'
Think that about covers it for RE and SC conditions on a licence.
trekin
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by winton » 03 Oct 2020, 3:26 pm

Oldbloke wrote:But within Vic, yep, all the time.

Whats your reason/excuse for carrying one all the time? "I might go for a hunt" ??

@rc42 Aren't there hunting opportunities up along the way to the cape? State Forest? Do I need a game license in QLD?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2020, 3:28 pm

winton wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:But within Vic, yep, all the time.

Whats your reason/excuse for carrying one all the time? "I might go for a hunt" ??

@rc42 Aren't there hunting opportunities up along the way to the cape? State Forest? Do I need a game license in QLD?

Qld only allows hunting on private property, no public land at all.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by winton » 03 Oct 2020, 4:07 pm

bladeracer wrote:Qld only allows hunting on private property, no public land at all.

Like everywhere else, you gotta know people.

Would this be a suitable excuse: Organise a hunt by paying to hunt on a private property in qld on my way up to the cape and then on my way down, go hunt again before making my way back home?
winton
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 03 Oct 2020, 4:57 pm

winton wrote:
bladeracer wrote:Qld only allows hunting on private property, no public land at all.

Like everywhere else, you gotta know people.

Would this be a suitable excuse: Organise a hunt by paying to hunt on a private property in qld on my way up to the cape and then on my way down, go hunt again before making my way back home?

Not in Victoria, don't have to know anybody, we have thousands of acres of state forest to hunt in.

I would certainly think a booked hunt is sufficient cause to take a rifle up there, coming back is incidental to that.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Oct 2020, 6:23 pm

What's your reason/excuse for carrying one all the time? "I might go for a hunt" ??

Yep and there are plenty of opportunities in Vic. SF everywhere.

But for interstate I would just arrange to borrow a rifle if I got the opportunity to go out for a day or two. It's just easier. Most states are private property only just seems sensible.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 30 Oct 2020, 10:13 pm

SAnewb85 wrote:hi lads, im picking up a GU patrol next week and was interested in finding a secure yet easily accessible for me system of locking my guns away.

It would have to be able to fit behind the 3rd row seats as they will be permanentlyin place, be inconspicuous if someone were to look in the back window and decently secure.
Will also be hooking up a quality alarm and gps tracking for extra peace of mind.

Cheers

How many & what size are the guns?
Gun bag and a padlock should do the trick.
Put a trigger lock on for good measure.
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Biscuits » 19 Apr 2022, 4:59 pm

What is the law, or the police's interpretation of the law for travelling with a rifle on a motorbike? Rifle in a bag strapped across the pillion seat. Bag not rifle shaped and would look like any random metre long object. Bike with hard luggage, so ammunition could be stored separate to the rifle. New South Wales.
Biscuits
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Bugman » 19 Apr 2022, 5:23 pm

Biscuits wrote:What is the law, or the police's interpretation of the law for travelling with a rifle on a motorbike? Rifle in a bag strapped across the pillion seat. Bag not rifle shaped and would look like any random metre long object. Bike with hard luggage, so ammunition could be stored separate to the rifle. New South Wales.

Mate, that is a hard one.( Gone are the days when you could take your 303 cadet rifle via train and bus to the Anzac range.)
I too would like to know an answer to your question.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by womble » 19 Apr 2022, 6:33 pm

Riding a motorcycle is a good reason to carry a gun.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 20 Apr 2022, 7:42 am

I put mine in a hard case across the seat behind me. I've got a GSA with hard panniers so it kind of blends in as just extra storage. Done it for years with no issues. Just make sure it's locked to the bike in case you go for a coffee etc.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel