The ZD is getting retired.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

The ZD is getting retired.

Post by Ziege » 24 Sep 2020, 4:06 pm

Been deliberating lately, the old Trolls ZD donk has gotten mighty thirsty and gutless, started drinking oil like a parched stockman sucking down beer, and is all round giving me the sh!ts,

What to do? I started looking at engine rebuild kits, new turbos, front mount intercoolers, viscous fan deletes with thermos, and all the other junk I would need plus any linishing and bearings and all that and to be honest, for what will be an expensive exercise, and a long winded one, to just put it back on the road with its less than 100 rwhp; its just not worth the time and effort,

so I head out into the car market, and blow me down if things are STUPIDLY inflated at the moment, not a damn car on the market worth throwing a 5c coin at let alone the $40K+ that you would need to get even a half decent set of wheels under you.

So, screw it, I start shopping for options, I want more power, less than 20l/100km (current consumption), and less cost of maintenance and more torque, do I go TD42? nope thats got less HP than the ZD and uses waaaay more fuel, so do I go 6.5TD chev? NOPE again only 40hp increase and only 200nm increase in torque and something stupid like 25l/100km around town..... So what the hell

Go petrol! but what? Nissan petrol? tb42? tb45? tb48? Hell no... so little power and so much fuel....

ENTER the LS SWAP, yep thats right, rip the donk out of an SS CommonWhore and bolt her in. buy a wiring harness/loom and solder in 4 wires, change fuel pump, add few cooling hose mods and bobs ya aunty...

so now the fun begins, stripping down the LS out of a crewman SS ute, redo the big ends, redo the seals and smack on a Marks adapter kit. all in all cost? apparently only $1500 more than what the ZD rebuild was gonna cost...

cant wait to get it finished.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Re: The ZD is getting retired.

Post by bigrich » 24 Sep 2020, 4:30 pm

i came across a fella a few years ago that had a LS-1 conversion in a GU patrol . it was a fairly easy swap and reliable , but if i recall correctly he replacesd the valve springs while they were easy to get too . about the only weak link in that engine series. gave good fuel economy too . it's a cost effective excercise , but if i had the money a TD42 would be my choice . the pain in the arse bit is changing the driveline to suit the deisel . ya won't go wrong with the chev but :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 24 Sep 2020, 4:50 pm

I had an '81 Hilux diesel-four 2.2L.

I swapped in a 253 V8, so much nicer. Kept the OEM 4-speed box and diffs so it was still only good for about 120kph, but I could drive it all day in 4th gear, never had to change gear unless I was making a hill-start :-)
Same fuel economy too.

Spent hours at the wreckers comparing clutch baskets and plates to work out what would work.

Took it up to the Kimberley with me.

I'd love to drop a V8 in the Landcruiser.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Sep 2020, 6:42 pm

I know a bloke with a LS powered patrol.

It goes like a bat out of hell and it sounds awesome.

Don't skimp out on the fuel pump.
Get a decent in tank pump like the Aeromotive Phantom coupled with the matching aeromotive return regulator.

I'm really happy with my TD42 but replacing the hand grenade ZD with a TD42 is definitely expensive.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GQshayne » 24 Sep 2020, 7:34 pm

My TD42 makes 200 kw, at the rear wheels. And 775 nm of torque.

Bit more than the ZD30.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Sep 2020, 7:53 pm

GQshayne wrote:My TD42 makes 200 kw, at the rear wheels. And 775 nm of torque.

Bit more than the ZD30.

Rock stock standard :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Sep 2020, 5:00 am

Bit more than the ZD30.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a vehicle. I new a fella years ago who had a 308 in a shortie landcruiser with no roof that used to wheelstand on the tar . Used to power up Sandhills like they weren’t there. But at full noise most v8’s can’t go as far from a fuel pump :D

Give me diesel reliability , fuel economy and lugging power any day . I had the TD42’s little brother, the TD27, in a 1990 terrano. No power house, but unbelievable fuel economy, bullet proof once it’s got a decent aftermarket radiator. Would crawl up anything. I upgraded to a 2007 prado , and for the same reasons couldn’t be happier.

Horses for coarses , but a td42 would do me in a ‘troll :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 25 Sep 2020, 9:33 am

bigrich wrote:

Bit more than the ZD30.

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a vehicle. I new a fella years ago who had a 308 in a shortie landcruiser with no roof that used to wheelstand on the tar . Used to power up Sandhills like they weren’t there. But at full noise most v8’s can’t go as far from a fuel pump :D

Give me diesel reliability , fuel economy and lugging power any day . I had the TD42’s little brother, the TD27, in a 1990 terrano. No power house, but unbelievable fuel economy, bullet proof once it’s got a decent aftermarket radiator. Would crawl up anything. I upgraded to a 2007 prado , and for the same reasons couldn’t be happier.

Horses for coarses , but a td42 would do me in a ‘troll :thumbsup:

I prefer diesel, but you cant even buy a TD42 donk, and even if you can get one by the time you factor in cooling issues, engine swap, exhaust, and all the other crap to swap it in where the ZD was you're a long way out of pocket, aside from that it just gets even stupider when you look at other diesel options, Brunswick diesels are garbage, that tired old 6.5 might be ok for geriatric nomads giving everyone the s**ts at @85kmh on the highways but in essence its an overfuelling underwhelming waste of money. Cummins and CAT motors require a massive ****** of engineering as they weigh over twice what the original engine does, sure theyre solid but theyre fa from cheap. and aside from the cummins when slapped with a big ass turbo they are slow and unappealing and thirsty. as for the other chev option the Duramax, sure its light, punches well above its weight, but good luck getting bits and pieces for it, and well..... conversion is gonna cost a minimum 3 times that of using an LS. so yeah... whilst I love diesel and how you can use chip fryer oil. I wont be putting any current solutions from the diesel camp into my old GU.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Sep 2020, 11:30 am

I see they're doing Barra conversion kits now.

It would be cheaper to register as a 6, lighter, give more room under the hood, simpler single exhaust and possibly be better on fuel.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Sep 2020, 12:59 pm

I hear ya zeige, you’ve definitely taken the most cost effective solution. The last time I looked at TD42 powered patrols and factory diesel 80 series cruisers, people wanted silly money for them even with really high mileage. You’ll be happy with your LS conversion, and from what I remember there’s not too much too it in terms of difficulty :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 25 Sep 2020, 2:25 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I see they're doing Barra conversion kits now.

It would be cheaper to register as a 6, lighter, give more room under the hood, simpler single exhaust and possibly be better on fuel.

Seen a few done, and they seem easy, but theyre definitely a lot more screwing around, Im not that keen, I wouldnt barra without a turbo and then if thats the case ya looking at constant tuning issues much like a turbo diesel, from what I've read they arent much chop on economy, but yeah not keen on the weeks of messing around to get it working, let alone the compliance issues, the kits from marks 4x4 for patrols and ls1 almost makes them a plug n play option, only 5 wires to solder in the loom, and fuel pump is a simple addition as well. that and I have some dead commodores on the farm here to poach parts off. lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 25 Sep 2020, 2:31 pm

Ziege wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:I see they're doing Barra conversion kits now.

Seen a few done, and they seem easy, but theyre definitely a lot more screwing around, Im not that keen, I wouldnt barra without a turbo and then if thats the case ya looking at constant tuning issues much like a turbo diesel, from what I've read they arent much chop on economy, but yeah not keen on the weeks of messing around to get it working, let alone the compliance issues, the kits from marks 4x4 for patrols and ls1 almost makes them a plug n play option, only 5 wires to solder in the loom, and fuel pump is a simple addition as well. that and I have some dead commodores on the farm here to poach parts off. lol

dead commodores ? what gun did ya use on them ........ :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 25 Sep 2020, 2:36 pm

its more that they were slowly beaten to death by way of accelerator and handbrake haha... paddock hacks, used to have a big course all around the back of the shearing shed and silos a bit of a dirt drift track kinda thing. anyway was a good outlet for me and a mate of mine we both got divorced from our ex's in the same year and both were working same job so decided to get free rent fixing up the late grandads house on the farm as well as cutting sick in the gravel lol, but as a result all the throttle cable and thermo fans and other stuff I need is sitting there at the ready. lol
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 26 Sep 2020, 6:08 am

So seeing the title of this thread I thought it might be about ZD Fairlanes but alas it is full of jibber jabber that is incomprehensible to me.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by eddievic » 26 Sep 2020, 9:46 am

straightshooter wrote:So seeing the title of this thread I thought it might be about ZD Fairlanes but alas it is full of jibber jabber that is incomprehensible to me.

I thought it was about zeige himself, giving up guns or retiring from work.

When someone says diesel i lose interest. I twin most of the people on this thread watch diesel brothers on Zee TV
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 26 Sep 2020, 11:58 am

straightshooter wrote:So seeing the title of this thread I thought it might be about ZD Fairlanes but alas it is full of jibber jabber that is incomprehensible to me.

:lol: that’s what I thought too initially. ZD,ZC’s . I’m not a ford guy, but I like ‘em. ZF and ZG too , anything after 1973 in cars doesn’t really interest me . Except charger’s :D

Deisel’s are good but. If I want to go off road or long range touring, I’ll take a good diesel :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 26 Sep 2020, 6:53 pm

Ziege wrote:Been deliberating lately, the old Trolls ZD donk has gotten mighty thirsty and gutless, started drinking oil like a parched stockman sucking down beer, and is all round giving me the sh!ts,

What to do? I started looking at engine rebuild kits, new turbos, front mount intercoolers, viscous fan deletes with thermos, and all the other junk I would need plus any linishing and bearings and all that and to be honest, for what will be an expensive exercise, and a long winded one, to just put it back on the road with its less than 100 rwhp; its just not worth the time and effort,

:lol: :lol: Yer could do all of the above,,,,,,,,,, and still end up with something that doesn't even equate to a Cruiser.

The absolute pick of all cruisers in my book is the Factory Turbo 79 Series six.

I took an as new V8 cruiser for a test drive just before I bought the 79 Series Ute (with a Steinbaure chip), and the 79 has just as much balls and grunt as the V8 cruiser had,,, with way better fuel economy and still better reliability.

Just sayin,,,,,
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Sep 2020, 7:37 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

Bit more than the ZD30.

Rock stock standard :lol:

Almost!!!! :allegedly:

To be honest, its not really. It also has a 5 speed Tiptronic auto gearbox, and the two work together very well.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 26 Sep 2020, 7:42 pm

Historically, anyone who has been totally honest, and added in EVERY cost of an LS conversion reckons it costs close to 20k by the time you are finished. That will very much depend on what skills you have of course. This topic has come up many many times on the Patrol forum.

If it is what you want then go for it, but just be aware that lots of owners reckon that they can do it for 6-7K, and it ends up costing a lot more.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Ziege » 27 Sep 2020, 12:28 am

Die Judicii wrote:
Ziege wrote:Been deliberating lately, the old Trolls ZD donk has gotten mighty thirsty and gutless, started drinking oil like a parched stockman sucking down beer, and is all round giving me the sh!ts,

:lol: :lol: Yer could do all of the above,,,,,,,,,, and still end up with something that doesn't even equate to a Cruiser.

The absolute pick of all cruisers in my book is the Factory Turbo 79 Series six.

I took an as new V8 cruiser for a test drive just before I bought the 79 Series Ute (with a Steinbaure chip), and the 79 has just as much balls and grunt as the V8 cruiser had,,, with way better fuel economy and still better reliability.

Just sayin,,,,,

mate id never have a troopy with the worlds ****** wheelbase (they can roll on a straight road, if ya know what I mean, cousin has a 4.8L TD and its worked to the hilt, makes 500hp and 850nm but still meh. the clutch and gearbox cant handle it and it needs to be even more modded now with a custom auto box which is now just even more $$$ thrown away so nah, i'll be right, stick with the solid as troll box and driveline and keep the old mule going, just not with the ever degrading modern diesel in it. but horses for courses.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by straightshooter » 27 Sep 2020, 12:51 pm

bigrich wrote:

:lol: that’s what I thought too initially. ZD,ZC’s . I’m not a ford guy, but I like ‘em. ZF and ZG too , anything after 1973 in cars doesn’t really interest me . Except charger’s :D

Deisel’s are good but. If I want to go off road or long range touring, I’ll take a good diesel :thumbsup:

I admit I am no Ford lover either but I have a fondness for the ZH Fairlane only because it resembles a down sized 70/71 Dodge Phoenix.
And yes Chargers also hit the spot with me.
I regret the passing of MoparMarket. There doesn't seem to be a dedicated discussion forum for Australian Chryslers any more.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by SCJ429 » 02 Oct 2020, 7:56 am

Why are you doing the big end bearings? Are they worn? What are the mains like?

The weak points of the LS motors are the lifters and springs which need replacing every 100,000. While you are in there you might as well put a new cam in and valve seals. Upgrade the Trunions in the rockers while you have the heads off. I am guessing that you have an LS1.
SCJ429
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel