Buying a camper trailer

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Buying a camper trailer

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 07 Oct 2020, 4:49 pm

I'm looking at buying a camper trailer and am interested in people's thoughts on what is necessary and what is just fluff.
I'm thinking about a Black Series Dominator let me know your thoughts if you have one or have any experience
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Re: Buying a camper trailer

Post by kneelo » 07 Oct 2020, 9:00 pm

I have a trackstar omaroo which is a very similar design. Did a month long kimberley trip this year with it and reckon this type of fold forward configuration is the best compromise between towability, interior space and ease of setup. Really quick and easy to setup the main tent which is all we did most of the time. Annex roof is a bit involved so we only put it up when we were stopping for a few days.

If you need something bigger there is a similar style that is fold forward with a slide out rear. Cant remember the make at the moment.
kneelo
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by TassieTiger » 08 Oct 2020, 7:26 am

The amount of ppl who bought camp trailers and never use them is quite staggering. Consequently - bargains to be had.
Work out what style you want (sounds like you have)but don’t disregard the power set ups / options to improve the longer term comfort.
Generators are noisy and require fuel. Battery and solar are expensive and heavy and the dominator as standard only has 200ah - will you need more ? Are kids going with you ?
How do you heat the upper floor on the dominator ?
Whst storage areas are available- the dominator has a lot in it - but you need a lot of gear yourself - where is that going to be packed? Just a few questions I’d be asking.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Nathanthezoologist » 10 Oct 2020, 8:58 am

TassieTiger wrote:The amount of ppl who bought camp trailers and never use them is quite staggering. Consequently - bargains to be had.
Work out what style you want (sounds like you have)but don’t disregard the power set ups / options to improve the longer term comfort.
Generators are noisy and require fuel. Battery and solar are expensive and heavy and the dominator as standard only has 200ah - will you need more ? Are kids going with you ?
How do you heat the upper floor on the dominator ?
Whst storage areas are available- the dominator has a lot in it - but you need a lot of gear yourself - where is that going to be packed? Just a few questions I’d be asking.

Yeah I think power us important to us. Most of them seem pretty decent with the ability to increase battery size of necessary

Heating isn't really an issues for us. We live in NW Qld at the moment so it's always hot. It can get chilly in winter but we have always managed when camping.

Also have a dual cab ute so still plenty of storage in the tub if needed
Nathanthezoologist
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel