Isuzu mu-x

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Isuzu mu-x

Post by Steve-0 » 05 Jan 2021, 2:07 pm

G'day

Looking at buying an isuzu mu-x, just wondering if any of the forum members have one and if so what's your opinion on it, what you like and don't like, anything else that may be useful to know.
Its a my19 2020 model, mid range ls-u.
I have 2 young kids, one still rear facing (at least for the next 5/6 months.
Keen to hear of anyone's experiences.

Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Isuzu mu-x

Post by animalpest » 05 Jan 2021, 5:38 pm

I have a 2018 Mu-x and have 100,000 km with plenty of highway, city, rural and tough 4 wheel driving done in it. Other than a few dings and scratches, it has been a beaut.

My next vehicle will be a MU-X.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 05 Jan 2021, 6:46 pm

animalpest wrote:I have a 2018 Mu-x and have 100,000 km with plenty of highway, city, rural and tough 4 wheel driving done in it. Other than a few dings and scratches, it has been a beaut.

My next vehicle will be a MU-X.

Sounds good. How do you find it off road? Have you done any suspension mids or locker?
I'll mostly use it as a family cruiser and to tow a caravan we just brought, and maybe just maybe a bit of spotlighting lol
Cheers
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 05 Jan 2021, 8:41 pm

I have put in aftermarket suspension and a 50mm lift. All the fruit on it (bar, winch, spotties, snorkel, full rack etc) and do a lot off road. Have smashed up the side steps on some really tough areas.

Rear diff lock is good but the correct tyre pressure and driving technique will get you further.

I traded in a Prado on the Mux and that had the same setup. The Mux is better because of the motor.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 05 Jan 2021, 11:50 pm

the isuzu is reliable and handle ok, but they are woefully gutless in the HP dept... since HP is work/time that means doesn't matter that it has high torque cos it will be next wednesday before it does anything with it... in saying that I think they are alright for putting around.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 06 Jan 2021, 5:23 pm

Ooo I know my Mux is a whole lot better than the Prado I had and previous model Hiluxes (3.0 L). There is no comparison when it comes to low down torque.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Steve-0 » 06 Jan 2021, 6:15 pm

Ziege wrote:the isuzu is reliable and handle ok, but they are woefully gutless in the HP dept... since HP is work/time that means doesn't matter that it has high torque cos it will be next wednesday before it does anything with it... in saying that I think they are alright for putting around.

Yeah took one for a test drive today, was expecting it to be a bit more sluggish than it was. By no means a rocket ship but wasn't too bad..
Steve-0
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ziege » 06 Jan 2021, 6:25 pm

Yeah down low they are good, but yeah, the HP deficit hurts when wanting speed... most dyno with between 70 and 80 horsepower at the wheels, so they're definitely a tractor, but if economy and reliability matter then thats the go... I do a lot of kms over long highway stretches hence me not liking it when I test drove one.. but I cant fault my mates one on or offroad as far as a family wagon is concerned
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by animalpest » 07 Jan 2021, 12:42 am

Seriously they are a low stressed motor which may show up on the push you in the seat type of urban driving you may expect of a urban petrol head. I am not the first off the lights but if that is what floats your boat....What I want is reliability long term, grunt off road, decent tractability in urban and bush bashing stuff and it delivers better than the rest.

The dyno stuff is rubbish. There is the Mux at .....what.... 10% difference in KW of power. Yet compare the weight difference in the Mux to others and you will find that the KW or torgue is better.

Sorry, but you need real world experience to compare.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Ziege » 07 Jan 2021, 8:40 am

animalpest wrote:Seriously they are a low stressed motor which may show up on the push you in the seat type of urban driving you may expect of a urban petrol head. I am not the first off the lights but if that is what floats your boat....What I want is reliability long term, grunt off road, decent tractability in urban and bush bashing stuff and it delivers better than the rest.

The dyno stuff is rubbish. There is the Mux at .....what.... 10% difference in KW of power. Yet compare the weight difference in the Mux to others and you will find that the KW or torgue is better.

Sorry, but you need real world experience to compare.

I literally drove all the ute gone 4x4 wagons, the HP figures and dynos don't lie... I am not contesting what you said, but it is a snail by all means. I do agree its reliable and handles well for its class.
Ziege
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 02 Apr 2021, 11:03 pm

My partner has a 2016 MUX,,,,, from new and it is a lease car,
Currently done 182,000 klms.
Absolutely no dramas with it.
The only thing I don't like about it is the blind spots,,,,, caused mainly by the extra beefy pillars demanded by the "ANCAPS" or whatever they are called.

Forgive me (preceding gents) as I understand it,,,,, the MUX (we have) is NOT a 4X4
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Bugman » 04 Apr 2021, 8:12 pm

I am not a speed freak, and I test drove one about a month back and liked it. It suited me, but obviously won't suit others. I have had Isuzu's before and they were all very reliable. As a youngster I got around in an Isuzu Bellet, complete with a manual crank start in case the battery got flat. Terrific little buzz box.
Bugman
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel