CF Moto thoughts

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: CF Moto thoughts

Post by Shootermick » 29 Jul 2021, 4:21 pm

FNQ wrote:There is a young girl who has just done “The Cape” return in a bog stock Hyundai i30 solo.

No lift kit no snorkel no muddies no Bullbar no winch etc absolutely nothing ARB or TJM :unknown:

Brought the Great Wall v240 4x4 new in 2011 literally bashed it around FNQ, never burped or farted and still going strong with approx 100,000km on her. Paid $21k for it and it’s lived out doors all it’s life. I’d get one again. :thumbsup:

I’ve got a variety of vehicle brands on the farm.

That being said my primary vehicle is a Toyota.. costs me about 5 x the v240 :drinks:

I don’t think she’d have much trouble flagging down a car if she needed some help.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 29 Jul 2021, 6:24 pm

True..I recon a few people would be willing to drive from Victoria to lend her a hand :lol:

Correct disco. Such is life.

What's even more funny is that half of the bits and pieces for a made in Thailand Toybota or Ranger come from china.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lsfan » 29 Jul 2021, 8:12 pm

I haven’t had any experience with quads, only Japanese road bikes, but I have looked at cheaper ways of getting back into bikes and even read about quads. The Chinese stuff is obviously built to a price and when I look at the specs they seem to have relatively low weight capacities and I think this is an indication of the cost cutting, cheaper materials etc. nothing wrong with that, they are offering something a lot cheaper which some people are prepared to compromise on. It seems pointless comparing them to something two or three times the price. Not really a fair comparison.

Similarly on here, If I'm looking to spend $500 or $600 on a rifle and I’m considering marlin, Rossi, savage or ruger, people are quick to say cheap sh.t!, get a tikka or sako. etc. maybe I don’t care for a timber stock or a slick feeling bolt with precision machining. I just want something that shoots ok.

Personally, I think Chinese vehicles will end up like Korean cars. When Kia came out, everyone said cheap sh.t! Now over time they have developed cars which keep winning car tests. Now they have earned a reputation, their price is going up. We have a sorento and it’s faultless for an suv, plus they have a 7 year warranty. Try and buy a top model sorento now. They are in such demand and dealers are charging over $80k for $65k vehicles.
Lsfan
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by ZaineB » 30 Jul 2021, 12:16 am

Lsfan wrote:I haven’t had any experience with quads, only Japanese road bikes, but I have looked at cheaper ways of getting back into bikes and even read about quads. The Chinese stuff is obviously built to a price and when I look at the specs they seem to have relatively low weight capacities and I think this is an indication of the cost cutting, cheaper materials etc. nothing wrong with that, they are offering something a lot cheaper which some people are prepared to compromise on. It seems pointless comparing them to something two or three times the price. Not really a fair comparison.

Similarly on here, If I'm looking to spend $500 or $600 on a rifle and I’m considering marlin, Rossi, savage or ruger, people are quick to say cheap sh.t!, get a tikka or sako. etc. maybe I don’t care for a timber stock or a slick feeling bolt with precision machining. I just want something that shoots ok.

Personally, I think Chinese vehicles will end up like Korean cars. When Kia came out, everyone said cheap sh.t! Now over time they have developed cars which keep winning car tests. Now they have earned a reputation, their price is going up. We have a sorento and it’s faultless for an suv, plus they have a 7 year warranty. Try and buy a top model sorento now. They are in such demand and dealers are charging over $80k for $65k vehicles.

my mates GU was valued at 7k before covid, then went to 17k over night

a bloke I used to work with put a cummins in his blown up CRD patrol and got nearly 60k for it.

doesnt seem to matter what the car is, if its good for going long distances or carting stuff around or fitting loads of people its gonna cost a mint in the pandemic economy.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Tiger650 » 30 Jul 2021, 8:19 am

ZaineB wrote:
Lsfan wrote:I haven’t had any experience with quads, only Japanese road bikes, but I have looked at cheaper ways of getting back into bikes and even read about quads. The Chinese stuff is obviously built to a price and when I look at the specs they seem to have relatively low weight capacities and I think this is an indication of the cost cutting, cheaper materials etc. nothing wrong with that, they are offering something a lot cheaper which some people are prepared to compromise on. It seems pointless comparing them to something two or three times the price. Not really a fair comparison.

a bloke I used to work with put a cummins in his blown up CRD patrol and got nearly 60k for it.

doesnt seem to matter what the car is, if its good for going long distances or carting stuff around or fitting loads of people its gonna cost a mint in the pandemic economy.

Last 6BTA Cummins I bought was maybe 2 yrs back, new price was $17k, made in China at a Cummins run factory and good engines.
The s#it alternative was a Daewoo imported by a company I tried to avoid dealing with, think a propensity for headgasket water leaks and $650.00 for a replacement gasket.
A new 6BTA for $17K would be attractive if it made a blown engine Nissan worth $60K, not a difficult swap either.
Chinese manufactured Cummins engines are Ok, worst issue we had with one was timing case crank seal leak on an 855, Cummins fixed it ASAP.
The "secret" appears to be imposing stringent quality control on the Chinese, maybe 25 yrs back Grundfos [Pumps] began fitting Chinese elec motors, most required bearing replacement.
The Chinese do not know what honest means, FFS they put bad chemicals in their baby formula.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by ZaineB » 30 Jul 2021, 10:57 am

Tiger650 wrote:
ZaineB wrote:

Last 6BTA Cummins I bought was maybe 2 yrs back, new price was $17k, made in China at a Cummins run factory and good engines.
The s#it alternative was a Daewoo imported by a company I tried to avoid dealing with, think a propensity for headgasket water leaks and $650.00 for a replacement gasket.
A new 6BTA for $17K would be attractive if it made a blown engine Nissan worth $60K, not a difficult swap either.
Chinese manufactured Cummins engines are Ok, worst issue we had with one was timing case crank seal leak on an 855, Cummins fixed it ASAP.
The "secret" appears to be imposing stringent quality control on the Chinese, maybe 25 yrs back Grundfos [Pumps] began fitting Chinese elec motors, most required bearing replacement.
The Chinese do not know what honest means, FFS they put bad chemicals in their baby formula.

Not sure if US market Cummins/Dodge Ram donks are made in China, seeing as he imported the donk from there along with some other essential parts.

And no s**t, Chinese know one thing, grifting people, nothing more.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Downunder » 08 Aug 2021, 6:44 am

A99A8B3A-0132-4387-AC61-89CE54A73B13.jpeg
We have 1 2008 CF Moto 625 with 13k on the clock on one farm, it was bought during the drought years when we had no money and was $6500 new in comparison to $12000 for a Honda.
It was also purchased prior to the full realisation of the global dominance agenda China has towards not only manufacturing but investment as well and their human rights abuses weren’t fully realised yet either.
It’s been a reasonable vehicle, parts are cheap but wear out faster than the other makers, plastics don’t have the UV Tech that competitors do, it’s fuel injected and has had some Fuel pump and tuning issues.

They may have come along way since 08 In regards to build and tech but BUT knowing now what we know of China I wouldn’t authorise the purchase of another one.
Downunder
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by cz515 » 08 Aug 2021, 7:42 am

Yep agreed, we only need one authoritarian govt in the world at one time.

Saying that Australia is currently going down that path. Both state and federal governments.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by phill55phill » 04 Oct 2021, 10:59 am

Been around for years if they werent alright they probably would have disapeared by now
phill55phill
Private
Private

South Australia

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel