CF Moto thoughts

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

CF Moto thoughts

Post by Shootermick » 24 Jul 2021, 10:37 am

I’m thinking about getting a 4 wheeler, just for general farm work.
Anyone know anything about CF Moto? The reviews look ok and they’re a fair bit cheaper than a lot of the more well know brands. I was considering the 400cc model.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Re: CF Moto thoughts

Post by cz515 » 24 Jul 2021, 3:15 pm

Cfmoto from my research is probably the best of the Chinese brand stuff. Lots happy with them.
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by MontyShooter » 24 Jul 2021, 5:18 pm

Cheap crap in the 2 wheel market. Assume it's more of the same with 4.
MontyShooter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 24 Jul 2021, 6:13 pm

I have smashed my Honda thru scrub over logs chaseing pigs with dogs many times , 16 years on it still runs like a dream and don’t fail on me when I’m in the middle of nowhere forcing me to to the long walk home in the dark ......sometimes I buy less than the best when it don’t matter , but I try to buy near the best when I know one day it will matter
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Bill » 24 Jul 2021, 6:14 pm

MontyShooter wrote:Cheap crap in the 2 wheel market. Assume it's more of the same with 4.

Nope CF Moto makes some pretty tough reliable 4x4 these days, a mate just is getting a new CF moto 1000. next week
When a guy is digging his own grave, you don’t fight him for the shovel.

Success leaves clues, Fools follow failure !

20 Hornet, 218 Bee, 222 Rem, 256 WM, 6mm ARC, 6.5 Grendel, 6.5x55 Scan, 270 Win, 357 Mag, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 A Square
Bill
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Rule404 » 25 Jul 2021, 5:30 pm

Hi shooter Mick. I’ve had many quads over the years. Honda’s, then can am, a cfmoto, and now back to can am.
With cf moto you get what you pay for. They are cheaper for a reason. Best described as agricultural and clunky. The Honda’s all did in excess of 20,000 km. The last 3 can-ams Did over 25k Without major issue. Had one drive belt fail on a can-Am, no big deal to replace, then never missed a beat. It’s a beautiful motor in the can-am.. usualLy had two quads ata time on the farm. When it was a Honda and a can-am everyone wanted to ride the can-am.No regrets. Better suspension. I currently have one in the shed with 1400 km on the clock that I can no longer ride for health reasons.
If you want to know more let me know
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 25 Jul 2021, 7:15 pm

Sounds like I might be better off looking for a good used Honda, Cam Am or another known brand, maybe a Suzuki or Polaris. The thing that attracted me to the CF Moto was the fact that I could get a brand spanker for the price of a good used one of the above makes.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Rule404 » 25 Jul 2021, 7:27 pm

That’s what attracted me mate. Two for the price of one, but personally, I wouldn’t have another CF. What’s the price of a 500 CF now?
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 25 Jul 2021, 8:07 pm

My Honda is only 2wd and 250 cc. At the time I could have bought a cheap copy 650 cc and 4 wd for less money but I figured the cheap 4wd may Permanently fail sooner Rather than later
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by ZaineB » 25 Jul 2021, 8:21 pm

if you buy chinese buy a whole shipping container of them and a whole container of spare parts.

theyre s**t, like everything chinese, even that chinese car that beat the Nürburgring Nordschleife FWD record was pretty much in parts after an 8 minute drive.

buy a honda.
ZaineB
Corporal
Corporal

Other

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jul 2021, 8:52 am

Rule404 wrote:That’s what attracted me mate. Two for the price of one, but personally, I wouldn’t have another CF. What’s the price of a 500 CF now?

The 400cc CF is about $8k, not sure about the 500.
But I think I’ll put a line through it after what I’m hearing.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 26 Jul 2021, 9:15 am

My latest 4 wheeler purchased for the farm is a Yamaha, 650EFI, 4wd, power steering with upgraded tyres at a cost of $10.5K.
This is the 3rd one in the last 20 years, still got the 2nd one, ( 400, 4wd ) they get used for checking water, rounding up stock and spraying. I've had a good run out of them and the local dealer has always been good to deal with, not that we've had any dramas with them.
My next door neighbour had a CF Moto, ( bought to replace a stolen Honda ), total piece of crap, he had nothing but trouble with it.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jul 2021, 9:20 am

My first Honda 2 wheeler I bought For the bush work new in 1996 ...still going 25 years later
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Jul 2021, 11:49 am

Better still
https://www.imz-ural.com.au/adventure-package
Be nice, I have one on order !
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jul 2021, 12:34 pm

Tiger650 wrote:Better still

Not sure how that would go around the sheep. It’s got a spot for the dog tho I guess.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 26 Jul 2021, 12:37 pm

That look a bit too flash to be splattered with fresh cow manure from the paddocks
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2021, 2:36 pm

Well, it looks the part if nothing else. Who's planed for the side car, the Mrs or the dog? Lol

About the 1.2 mark. Lol
https://youtu.be/CQ-S74lwI_o
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Jul 2021, 4:47 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Well, it looks the part if nothing else. Who's planed for the side car, the Mrs or the dog? Lol

About the 1.2 mark. Lol

I reckon the dog but that is a secret.
Sheep s**t / Yak s**t, all the same :D
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Shootermick » 26 Jul 2021, 5:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

About the 1.2 mark. Lol

Whichever one would be the quietest gets the sidecar.
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 26 Jul 2021, 7:02 pm

Light farm use or weekend warrior the CF is fine.

Where are the other brands made?

Look at the 4wd ute market and you will see they are all made in Asia.... not Japan
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

GSM 1911 .22, Glock 17A 9mm, Glock 34 9mm
FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 26 Jul 2021, 10:33 pm

Pretty much all utes are ex Thailand, damn good quality though, my MQ Triton gets treated sympathetically but has proven bulletproof so far.
I reckon the only issues with late model utes are design fuc#ups, Toyota and VW DPF issues are one example.
I digress, were we not speaking of Urals and how splendid they are ?
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 26 Jul 2021, 11:33 pm

Interested in this as I am thinking I need a small runabout for the farm in the paddocks not roads. Hills but not tech type driving just getting to old to do the walk or the motorbike is getting a bit much and sometime the terrain is a bit tricky on the bike where the tractor has created culverts with the help of erosion.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 27 Jul 2021, 9:58 am

FNQ wrote "Where are the other brands made?"

My latest Yamaha is made in the U.S.A, go figure. :unknown:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by cz515 » 27 Jul 2021, 8:36 pm

So I see in this thread no one has real world first hand experience. One internet keyboard warriors (me lol) said his research says XXXC, another one has a neighbour with a cfmoto that gives a lot of problem. Lots of people saying Yamaha/Honda etc

All I can say is I see the same thing on 4wd forums, anyone ask how does that LDV or Greatwall GMW UTE go. Everyone says they all bad, but they love their Hilux/Ford cuz they bought one 40 years ago and it's still running strong. Even the Colorado they say was awesome.

I giggle because GM sold the Colorado plant in Thailand to Great wall who make their GMW Ute there, LDV comes out of the same factory that also makes the VW Amorak for the China market. The phone or the computer they are using is also comes from China. And I am still laughing when I am passing your old jalopy or your 60k brand new FORD/TOYOTA with my 30k LDV. paying less in interest compared to the 60k loan and after 5 years I would have lost less in depreciation than the fancy name vehicle others drive. And best of all if I have a warranty issue I get a loan vehicle until LDV fix it :lol:
When good men and women can’t speak the truth, when facts are inconvenient, when integrity and character no longer matter, when ego and self-preservation are more important than national security — then there is nothing left to stop the triumph of evil
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by FNQ » 27 Jul 2021, 9:12 pm

cz515
Ive got a Great Wall v240 4wd as a farm ute.
Nothing wrong wth it
Gamo CF.177, Savage A.22ss, JW15A, Savage 42 .22/.410, Stirlng .22MAG, Howa .223 stainless, Remington 770 .308, Savage AXIS .30-06, #4 MK1 .303, #4 MK2 .303,#5 .303, Akkar Churchill O/U 12ga, Chippa lever 12ga.

FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by cz515 » 28 Jul 2021, 1:34 pm

The 240 petrol... had an older Mitsubishi engine (from magna asking other cars). Gutless but should be near on bulletproof mate.
cz515
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Rule404 » 29 Jul 2021, 8:50 am

cz515 wrote:So I see in this thread no one has real world first hand experience. One internet keyboard warriors (me lol) said his research says XXXC, another one has a neighbour with a cfmoto that gives a lot of problem. Lots of people saying Yamaha/Honda etc

All I can say is I see the same thing on 4wd forums, anyone ask how does that LDV or Greatwall GMW UTE go. Everyone says they all bad, but they love their Hilux/Ford cuz they bought one 40 years ago and it's still running strong. Even the Colorado they say was awesome.

I giggle because GM sold the Colorado plant in Thailand to Great wall who make their GMW Ute there, LDV comes out of the same factory that also makes the VW Amorak for the China market. The phone or the computer they are using is also comes from China. And I am still laughing when I am passing your old jalopy or your 60k brand new FORD/TOYOTA with my 30k LDV. paying less in interest compared to the 60k loan and after 5 years I would have lost less in depreciation than the fancy name vehicle others drive. And best of all if I have a warranty issue I get a loan vehicle until LDV fix it :lol:

Hi CZ.. NO FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE. 3 can ams with in excess of 75000 Kms, 28,000 on the third one. On my fourth now and it’s only done 1411km. Couldn’t tell you number of Honda’s over 40 years But they did all right. Double the price of a CF Moto but I only got 9,000 kms before major work needed. I sold it to a bloke over here. He went in eyes open knowing the work. He onsold it within3 weeks.
I can no longer ride a quad so my can am is up for grabs if anyone is interested. Almost new 1411 km on the clock. 4WD,winch, 650 v twin variable speed transmission
Cheers
Rule404
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 29 Jul 2021, 9:17 am

Now, now, don't go questioning his Royal Highness, the self appointed expert who is all seeing and all knowing.
I also had first hand experience with my neighbours CF MOTO, not just hearsay, actually used it helping him with cattle, what a piece of sh!t!
The quality of the welding looked like they did it with their eyes closed, the vibration from the engine made it feel like it was about to jump out of the frame, the quality of the wiring was very questionable and the fit and finish of the whole machine was just terrible.
Actually rode in a brand new Great Wall 4x4 ute going underground at the mine where I worked, bloke couldn't stop raving on about how he got it so cheap, what a great thing it was. Three months later, had to ride in it again with him, hardly anything worked, power windows, no longer worked, dash was about to fall on the floor it rattled about so much, engine warning lights constantly on, the ride felt like the shocks were no longer installed on the vehicle, drive train noise was incredible, this time he couldn't stop raving on about what a piece of crap it was!!
Anyone who thinks they are cleverer than everyone else because they buy cheap Chinese crap hasn't had it long enough.
Chinese power tools, garbage, Chinese small engines, Chinese pressure washers, garbage, Chinese hand tools, garbage, Chinese drill bits, absolute garbage,... bit of a pattern there... :allegedly:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by FNQ » 29 Jul 2021, 11:58 am

There is a young girl who has just done “The Cape” return in a bog stock Hyundai i30 solo.

No lift kit no snorkel no muddies no Bullbar no winch etc absolutely nothing ARB or TJM :unknown:

Brought the Great Wall v240 4x4 new in 2011 literally bashed it around FNQ, never burped or farted and still going strong with approx 100,000km on her. Paid $21k for it and it’s lived out doors all it’s life. I’d get one again. :thumbsup:

I’ve got a variety of vehicle brands on the farm.

That being said my primary vehicle is a Toyota.. costs me about 5 x the v240 :drinks:
Attachments
24724BEC-E157-41D4-B909-F258836E2C10.jpeg
24724BEC-E157-41D4-B909-F258836E2C10.jpeg (709.17 KiB) Viewed 7258 times
Last edited by FNQ on 29 Jul 2021, 2:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FNQ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by disco stu » 29 Jul 2021, 1:47 pm

Seeing this is turned into a Chinese made thread, I figure I can chime in.

I'll harp back to what someone else said-if anything made in China is crap then get rid of your iPhones, your kettle, toaster, fishing lures (yes, even your $30 ecogear with Japanese stuff all over them), fishing rods etc etc etc. Most of what we have these is made in China. It's not the place of manufacture, it's the quality control of the company.

I've got plenty of stuff made in China that was cheap and been more than happy with it. I usually get my money's worth or better. My $2 store pipe cutter-still going strong and cuts straight. My phone-getting old but no issues. Clothes, haven't froze to death yet and I can actually afford these. It's quite hard to avoid buying anything made in China unless your made of money, and even then a lot of premium stuff is still made there (iPhones for example, unless they've changed recently but I don't keep up on that).

In saying all that, I do think China is a threat and I would optimally prefer to support other countries. But I'm also on a budget.

Don't get me started on the "you get what you pay for" thing.
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel