The fuzz rolling out 700m cameras. Speeding, phones, food

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

The fuzz rolling out 700m cameras. Speeding, phones, food

Post by whert » 15 Apr 2014, 8:55 pm

Not sure if this is nation wide yet but it's be rolling out in Victoria for Easter. Won't be far behind for the rest of the country if it isn't there already...

700m cameras to be used now that checking for speeding, as well as video for the fuzz to see if you're using your phone, eating, or otherwise not 'driving properly'.

Careful in those cars fellas.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: The fuzz rolling out 700m cameras. Speeding, phones, foo

Post by Norton » 15 Apr 2014, 9:05 pm

Long distance revenue raising.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by chacho » 15 Apr 2014, 9:30 pm

Er, food?

WTF are drink holders etc. in your car for if not for food and drink :?
chacho
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by whert » 15 Apr 2014, 9:31 pm

So the radio said... Food and drink while driving.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 15 Apr 2014, 9:31 pm

I think you'll find the argument is for your hands being off the wheel and being distracted.

Not food itself.

So the argument goes anyway...
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 16 Apr 2014, 10:20 am

The traveller is gone... now even the shifty traveller (look left, look right, look left again, take a sip)

But seriously this level of regulation of our civil liberties is becoming ridiculous ..... yes, I know 41 in a 40 zone is 'breaking the law, and touching your mobile phone is breaking the law and holding a can of beer while in the vicinity of your vehicle is actually breaking the 'law' if thats what the officers discretion tells him;

But fairs fair, this is going overboard and I DONT THINK the citizens actually asked for this!!! I certainly never heard the public outcry for the implementation of cameras and surveillance by the police to record all your movements in a motor vehicle.... What they did ask is for the police to sort out the crims, the violence, the drugs, organised crime, corruption, FFS.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AusC » 16 Apr 2014, 4:22 pm

Work mate of mine pulled up to a red light, completely stopped, picked up his phone to check the time, put it down and when the lights changed kept driving.

Got pulled over a minute later and ticketed for handling the phone while the car was stopped. 4 points and $400 or something.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 16 Apr 2014, 6:41 pm

AusC wrote:Work mate of mine pulled up to a red light, completely stopped, picked up his phone to check the time, put it down and when the lights changed kept driving.

Got pulled over a minute later and ticketed for handling the phone while the car was stopped. 4 points and $400 or something.

And yet their allowed to use them during a high speed pursuit? Go Figure :!: :?: :!: :evil: :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Norton » 17 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

That's the kind of situation that really sucks, AusC.

I'd think that if you contested that and took it to court, you're mate could probably have the ticket cancelled.

If it's like you said and the vehicle was completely stopped, he used the phone during a red light only, and was ready to go before the light when green, I'm struggling to see how the Police could claim/prove there was any risk/danger in it.

Except... Who's got the time to go through all that crap with the courts...
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by mobo » 17 Apr 2014, 11:50 am

Too often the case that it's not worth defending yourself over these things :(
Mossberg 802 Plinkster 22LR

Savage Stevens 200 .270 Winchester
mobo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Boatman » 17 Apr 2014, 11:52 am

Someone here a while ago went to court over a PTA getting knocked back for a .50 cal didn't they?

Anyway... Story was put in PTA for .50 cal target rifle, got knocked back, went to court with a lawyer and all the works, won the case and was given the PTA as he was rightfully entitled too.

A victory at the end of the day, but it cost him $5,000 in lawyers fees just to get what he was already entitled too.

*sigh*
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Deco » 17 Apr 2014, 11:53 am

I don't think it was one of the guys here but I know the story you're talking about.

It was a while ago now right? Like 1-2 years ago or something?
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Boatman » 17 Apr 2014, 11:54 am

Yeah something like that.

I thought it was one of the Victorian guys but I could be wrong?

Anyway...
Boatman
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Vati » 17 Apr 2014, 11:56 am

No one ever wins at court except the Lawyers.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 17 Apr 2014, 1:09 pm

Boatman wrote:Someone here a while ago went to court over a PTA getting knocked back for a .50 cal didn't they?

Anyway... Story was put in PTA for .50 cal target rifle, got knocked back, went to court with a lawyer and all the works, won the case and was given the PTA as he was rightfully entitled too.

A victory at the end of the day, but it cost him $5,000 in lawyers fees just to get what he was already entitled too.

*sigh*

I'd like to know more about this, any references? if he won then wouldnt he have costs awarded??
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AlanK » 18 Apr 2014, 11:22 am

I'm pretty sure you're never automatically entitled to legal costs, you have to go after them as part of the court case... Or as another case...

If someone takes you to court and you win, you can take them to court for costs. But you have to win your case to get anything.

If you take someone else to court over damages or whatever you can take them to court for damages + costs. But... You can win your case without winning costs too. I had a colleague who took a business to court and the business wanted to judge to say that they the case could not continue unless my colleague could guarantee to cover their costs if he lost. He couldn't do this, but the case continued anyway... In the end he lost, but they didn't get their costs from him either.

Any victory doesn't automatically include the other side covering your legal costs though.

This is my understanding from having 4-5 court instances with friends and family.

(disclaimer: not a lawyer, not legal advise)
AlanK
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel