Tubular steel rear bars? (for Prado 150)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Tubular steel rear bars? (for Prado 150)

Post by Lorgar » 04 Jan 2022, 6:43 pm

Hi all,

I've got a 150 series Prado (first gen, not the facelift model) and am doing some research on rear bars for it.

The problem is they (pretty obviously) weigh a figurative tonne, and will take me over my GVM limit when loaded for a trip.

All I really want the rear bar for is protection if/when dropping the rear down in a rut, scraping on departure angles etc. Don't need spare wheel carries, jerry can holders, or any of that.

I've seen a few pictures of these kinds of things from blokes in the states with Lexus GX's, which in my understanding is exactly the same vehicle.

sK3se2J.jpg
sK3se2J.jpg (50.4 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

Screenshot-2021-12-26-133749.jpg
Screenshot-2021-12-26-133749.jpg (55.27 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

Screenshot-2021-12-26-133724.jpg
Screenshot-2021-12-26-133724.jpg (42.87 KiB) Viewed 3648 times

This seems like it would be ample for me, and probably 50kg+ less than the stonking great square bars that the usual names sell here.

After much searching, I can't find anything remotely similar here though.

Does anyone know of such a thing being offered here in Aus?

I was surprised to not be able to find anything at all that was similar. Has me wondering now if these are not legal under our road rules or something?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Tubular steel rear bars? (for Prado 150)

Post by GQshayne » 04 Jan 2022, 7:21 pm

Custom is the go for you mate. Plenty of good workshops will knock something up for you no worries. Rasslar & Millweld will be a good place to start for a Vicco. ;)

https://www.raslarr.com.au/

https://www.millweld.com/
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by scoot » 04 Jan 2022, 8:29 pm

Technically speaking all bar work must be designef/manafactured/tested to meet the ADR rules applicable to the vehicle its fitted to. Hate to be a killjoy but often custom pieces aren't actually legal. Doesn't stop a lot of people but bear in mind it could be an excuse for things like insurance payouts being denied.
scoot
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 07 Jan 2022, 6:12 pm

Raslarr looks like it could be the go looking at their front bars. Keeping them minimal. Thanks Shayne, I'll give them a buzz.

I hear you, Scoot. I'm pretty conscious of keeping it all legal (and coverable by insurance :lol: )
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 07 Jan 2022, 7:41 pm

Lorgar wrote:Raslarr looks like it could be the go looking at their front bars. Keeping them minimal. Thanks Shayne, I'll give them a buzz.

I hear you, Scoot. I'm pretty conscious of keeping it all legal (and coverable by insurance :lol: )

Rear bars are common, and legal if built properly. My understanding of Raslarr is that he does custom stuff, not only exiting designs, so he can make you a one-off bar without a wheel carrier etc. Been in the game a fair while and has a good reputation.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by DaveZ » 07 Jan 2022, 8:59 pm

The stock tow bar will do pretty much want you want. I dragged the arse of mine everywhere you could imagine for 4 years and never had any rear bumper damage. The stock side steps were another story :wtf: :lol:

CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 08 Jan 2022, 12:08 pm

Yep, side steps got hammered even with a lift. Replaced with stronger ones.

But I have never done damage to the back of the vehicle.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Jan 2022, 9:35 pm

How hard could it possibly be ?
Get a copy of the ADR's and get a "qualified" (if you aren't) tradesman to make one. :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jan 2022, 10:48 am

DaveZ wrote:The stock tow bar will do pretty much want you want. I dragged the arse of mine everywhere you could imagine for 4 years and never had any rear bumper damage. The stock side steps were another story :wtf: :lol:

That's kind of what I've been getting away with so far.

I have a towbar fitted at the moment, however, it's obviously far less robust than the standard Toyota one.

prado-150-towbar.jpg
prado-150-towbar.jpg (59.82 KiB) Viewed 3361 times

Much lower profile mounting than yours, and only protects if you drop down while level. Any roll/corner drop and it would offer no protection, which is bound to happen sooner or later.

Maybe I can get a factory towbar, and just get someone to weld on an extra footage of steel rectangular tubing on the left and right . :D
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by DaveZ » 15 Jan 2022, 6:44 am

Lorgar wrote:That's kind of what I've been getting away with so far.

I have a towbar fitted at the moment, however, it's obviously far less robust than the standard Toyota one.

Yeah there is a big difference between that and what I had. I think mine was factory Toyota but can't remember 100%, I did get the ARB front bar fitted from new as well. I dropped the back end down into plenty of holes with that bar and heard some pretty solid whacks, but never scored any bumper damage.
CZ455 22lr Varmint
Ruger American 243
Located Bundaberg area, looking for property to hunt on.
DaveZ
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel