Bullbar mounted Anderson plugs... Risks? Better ideas?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Bullbar mounted Anderson plugs... Risks? Better ideas?

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jan 2022, 7:09 pm

Need some ideas from the brain trust here. The situation is this...

My Prado is fitted with a starter and auxiliary battery.

I have a portable air-compressor which I run off the starter, and fold up solar panels which connect to the auxiliary.

Both the compression and solar panels connect to the their battery's with alligator clips which involve opening the bonnet, attaching the clips which are always a crappy connection that's easily knocked loose, etc. etc. It's a bit of a pain in the ass, basically.

I'm thinking along the lines of running cable from each battery to an Anderson plug mounted on the bullbar, and replacing the alligator clips on the compressor and solar panels with an Anderson plug also. That way I can just just plug either external device to either battery from the outside, without the fuff of opening the bonnet and dealing with crappy alligator clips. I have rubber weather sealing caps for the Anderson plugs already too.

In theory, all great, but the little alarm bell part of the back of my mind is telling me I now have an exposed connection to each battery sitting outside the vehicle.

Not that I think people are roaming the streets looking for exposed plugs to stick a fork into, but still. And for whatever it's worth, I do regular water crossings where the plugs would be submerged.

What do you think?

Done it? Love it? Problems with it? Better ideas?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Bullbar mounted Anderson plugs... Risks? Better ideas?

Post by animalpest » 25 Jan 2022, 7:24 pm

We have Anderson plugs in the backs of our tray back 4x4 vehicles and never had a problem. They are also fitted with battery isolators on the roo bar and other than occasionally coming loose, no problems there either.

Should be fine but why not put one inside and one near the rear inside. Then you can also spotlight and do other wonderful shooting things
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by GQshayne » 25 Jan 2022, 7:42 pm

I have Anderson plugs in a few spots for similar reasons. I use these. Work pretty well I reckon.

https://jaydeeautocables.com.au/product ... hard-cover
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jan 2022, 7:45 pm

You might want to fit a fuse
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 25 Jan 2022, 7:47 pm

I get nervous about things like that exposed/connected all the time. Don't like it with winch either. I'm assuming here that you will only be using the Anderson plugs when you're away, not all the time. If thats the case, you could have the positive cable connected onto the terminal with a wing nut, and just connect the cable up when you go away, and take it off when you get home. I've done this with winch positive cable.

You could use a relay you switch on from inside the cabin, but I see this being full of issues trying to keep it latched with ignition off, most of all being current drain, especially if you forget to switch it off when not using etc. I prefer to keep things more idiot proof

Another option could be running the positive through one of the large switches or disconnects under the bonnet. Turn it on when away etc. Not overly pricey, Bunnings has one capable of over 200a from memory
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jan 2022, 7:54 pm

animalpest wrote:Should be fine but why not put one inside and one near the rear inside. Then you can also spotlight and do other wonderful shooting things

Not inside for the sake of keeping the cabin sealed.

I camp 2-3 days at a time and want to leave the solar panels connected for the duration without having to have a window/door cracked open the whole time.

Essentially the same for the air compressor. I don't want to be sat on the side of a hot, dusty road with the door open for 10 minutes while reinflating 1 or 2 vehicles worth of tires.

So sticking with external access here, just looking to streamline it.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jan 2022, 8:00 pm

Oldbloke wrote:You might want to fit a fuse

That would be prudent.

My panels and compressor both have their own fuses, but a fuse on the Anderson positive line would add some protection in the event of a short, which is really what I'm worried about, I guess.

Had told myself I wouldn't bother fusing the line, but that's just being lazy if I'm honest :lol:

My compressor draws a max of 32 amps, and only at PSI that I will never pump to. The solar is pushing far less than that.

I could put a 40 amp fuse on the positive line of each Anderson plugs for some additional peace of mind.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jan 2022, 8:13 pm

disco stu wrote:I get nervous about things like that exposed/connected all the time. Don't like it with winch either. I'm assuming here that you will only be using the Anderson plugs when you're away, not all the time. If that's the case, you could have the positive cable connected onto the terminal with a wing nut, and just connect the cable up when you go away, and take it off when you get home. I've done this with winch positive cable.

I have a manual isolator switch on the winch. The winch gets used far more rarely though, once a year if that, so popping the bonnet to turn a manual switch on this is not really an inconvenience. The solar and/or compressor get used basically every trip though.

disco stu wrote:You could use a relay you switch on from inside the cabin, but I see this being full of issues trying to keep it latched with ignition off, most of all being current drain, especially if you forget to switch it off when not using etc. I prefer to keep things more idiot proof

I'm not feeling the need to add relays and cabin buttons. This isn't a showpiece. Just looking to improve convenience a bit, while keeping things simple.

disco stu wrote:Another option could be running the positive through one of the large switches or disconnects under the bonnet. Turn it on when away etc. Not overly pricey, Bunnings has one capable of over 200a from memory

A sensible enough solution. Part of me would really like to be able to just plug-and-play from the front without having to go to the bonnet at all.

I suppose I have to come down one way or the other though. Can satisfy either caution or convenience.

Maybe a fused line to the Anderson plug is the best compromise. No need to pop the bonnet, but has a little protection built-in in the event of a short at the plug end.

Throw one of these on each positive cable, https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/144015502847

Hmmm.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by No1Mk3 » 25 Jan 2022, 8:29 pm

Been running such things on the back of semis for yonks, always fuse them and add an isolator switch to turn off when not using it. Flood it with WD40 after any water crossing and blow it out with air ( I had an airline attached to the drivers seat in the Freightliner and also the Aeromax) you could use an inflater at the next fuel stop, Cheers.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by disco stu » 25 Jan 2022, 9:54 pm

But is popping the bonnet and switching the isolator (there's the word my brain couldn't find) on when you first get to your destination, and then off when you unplug solar for last time or get home really that much of a hassle? Would probably take all of 20s each time, including lifting and closing bonnet. Even the wing nut method would probably only take 1 min total. Seeing you're only going to be drawing under 40a you could probably get away with just a large heavy duty switch
disco stu
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 2:52 am

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/blog/ ... boxes.html

I have one of these for fridge battery. For easy removal it's plugged into an Anderson plug and the box has 2 Anderson plugs as outlets. If I want to charge with a solar panel I plug in there or beside the tow bar.

If you have a constant draw item like a fridge it's best to fit a relay or manual isolator to save the engine battery.

Mine is fused where it connects to the engine battery and protects both sets of cables. I think its a 40 amp fuse.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 3:24 am

Re- Anderson plug inside cab. I think he meant an additional one for spotlighting
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 26 Jan 2022, 12:37 pm

Yeah OB I have Anderson plugs mounted on the front console and in the "boot" of my wagon, or in the case of the utes, on the tray.

They are used for spotlighting, air compressors and fridges.

On our Cruiser, the Anderson plug on the tray permanently runs a Evacool fridge and spends more time on Kimberley back roads than anywhere else. No problems.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bruiser64 » 26 Jan 2022, 8:57 pm

I have one of these attached to my battery.

https://www.everythingcaravans.com.au/p ... ag_organic

Doing it this way means the anderson plug isnt exposed to the elements. I have an anderson plug fitted to my spotlight so I have a more secure connection when driving around..
Bruiser64
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2022, 10:09 pm

Ebay

Screenshot_20220126-230513_eBay.jpg
Screenshot_20220126-230513_eBay.jpg (294.26 KiB) Viewed 3431 times

In OZ so u will have it in a few days
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel