Cruiser Ute Owners ???

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Cruiser Ute Owners ???

Post by Die Judicii » 27 Mar 2022, 7:50 pm

Who on this forum happens to own a Cruiser Ute ?

75 Series,, 78 or 79 Series ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Cruiser Ute Owners ???

Post by bladeracer » 27 Mar 2022, 10:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Who on this forum happens to own a Cruiser Ute ?

75 Series,, 78 or 79 Series ?

No idea of the series these things use but ours is a '94 HJ75 4.2 non-turbo.
Outstanding off-road ability, it'll idle its way up anything, but on the road 110kph is about it, or 90kph with 1300kg of hay on the back.
Fuel is horrendous, around 7kpl if you nurse it, more commonly 6kpl on premium diesel.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Mar 2022, 10:30 am

I've got a 1990 (75 Series) with the non turbo 4.2 that I now only use on the property,,,, but when it was "on road" I found it to be
pretty good as far as fuel consumption goes as long as you stayed just under 100 kph.

Do you have many vehicles knocked off around your general area ? and do you worry about it being knocked off ??

It's getting to the stage of ridiculous,, the amount that are getting pinched and burned out up this way lately.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 28 Mar 2022, 11:00 am

Die Judicii wrote:I've got a 1990 (75 Series) with the non turbo 4.2 that I now only use on the property,,,, but when it was "on road" I found it to be
pretty good as far as fuel consumption goes as long as you stayed just under 100 kph.

Do you have many vehicles knocked off around your general area ? and do you worry about it being knocked off ??

It's getting to the stage of ridiculous,, the amount that are getting pinched and burned out up this way lately.

Same here, we only take the ute into town if we need the ute. Mainly it's for towing trailers collecting hay or moving cattle.

I've only been here since late '14, but I can't recall hearing about any vehicles being stolen around here. Definitely in the towns it's happening. There was a car rattling up our road one arvo so I went for a look. It was a beat-up Corolla or something with two blown tyres. The driver had disappeared by the time I got there. Called Police to report it as it was stopped on the road. Think it turned out to be stolen from town. When we first got here there were a number of vehicles slowly going up the road during the night and stopping for a few minutes. I was told by a neighbour that addicts come out looking for special mushrooms? Haven't seen any recently though. I vaguely recall somebody had their tractor battery stolen but I think that was a retelling of an older story from when I asked the same question. Some prick stole our back gate that opens into the pine plantation a few years ago. I vaguely recall there was a burglary somewhere nearby a while back, but it's vague so probably wasn't a big deal. A neighbour was mowing the verges a few weeks ago and the ride-on mower caught fire, that was exciting but CFS is 2km down the road.

If it weren't for the quarry trucks I think we'd be lucky to average a dozen vehicles a day past our house, and those are going to work or school then coming home again. School bus stops 400m down the road and one kid has to walk the last 3km to his home, though sometimes he rides an electric bike.

I would be more concerned about losing stuff like dirt bikes and tools than a vehicle, but we haven't had any trouble. Our cameras are fairly obvious to anybody coming up our driveway though.
Last edited by bladeracer on 28 Mar 2022, 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 28 Mar 2022, 11:23 am

Die Judicii wrote:I've got a 1990 (75 Series) with the non turbo 4.2 that I now only use on the property,,,, but when it was "on road" I found it to be

not sure what part of the state your in , but second hand diesel cruisers and prado's (i own a 2007 diesel 3 ltr gxl myself ) around brisbane are worth ridiculous money . talked to lots of 70 series owners that have the opportunity to sell 5 year old vehicles for 5-10k more than they paid for them new :wtf:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Mar 2022, 12:49 pm

bigrich wrote:
not sure what part of the state your in , but second hand diesel cruisers and prado's (i own a 2007 diesel 3 ltr gxl myself ) around brisbane are worth ridiculous money . talked to lots of 70 series owners that have the opportunity to sell 5 year old vehicles for 5-10k more than they paid for them new :wtf:

LOL,,,,,,,, since the floods,, buying or selling second hand or new vehicles of any description around Brissie is gonna be a dicey business.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 28 Mar 2022, 5:51 pm

I've got a 79 series Cruiser,..... along with 9 other 4WD vehicles
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 28 Mar 2022, 10:16 pm

stuff a cruiser , i want a bren carrier . now that'd be a go anywhere hunting rig :D
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2022, 8:20 am

bigrich wrote:stuff a cruiser , i want a bren carrier . now that'd be a go anywhere hunting rig :D

I have plans to build one myself, I reckon it would be awesome on the farm :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2022, 8:48 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:stuff a cruiser , i want a bren carrier . now that'd be a go anywhere hunting rig :D

lots of stuff got auctioned off around brisbane . 30 years ago i was working on moreton island just of brisbane and they were still using US studebaker 6x6 trucks for haulage duties on the island . heard plenty of stories about jeeps used on farms , bren carriers are really good for fencing in ridge country i was told :D
heard of matilda tanks having the turrets removed and using scrub chains in areas of nsw . check youtube there's a guy in rural australia who drives a matilda around his farm . lucky bugger :lol:

you can get your hands on bren carriers blade , their actually popular in NZ :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2022, 9:22 am

bigrich wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

lots of stuff got auctioned off around brisbane . 30 years ago i was working on moreton island just of brisbane and they were still using US studebaker 6x6 trucks for haulage duties on the island . heard plenty of stories about jeeps used on farms , bren carriers are really good for fencing in ridge country i was told :D
heard of matilda tanks having the turrets removed and using scrub chains in areas of nsw . check youtube there's a guy in rural australia who drives a matilda around his farm . lucky bugger :lol:

you can get your hands on bren carriers blade , their actually popular in NZ :thumbsup:

There are real ones around, but I don't need to lug three and a half tons of armour plate around the paddocks, or try to keep an eighty-year-old V8 lump running :-)
I want to build it out of 6mm mild with a 3800cc Buick engine. Should be well under 2000kg with a reliable engine. Ground pressure would be tiny so it shouldn't tear up the paddocks. Still going to need hearing protection and a helmet though :-)

Would be awesome for things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO5IJ1b-7g

Would be neat to make it amphibious as well, not sure it has the footprint for that but making it significantly lighter would help.

Anything bigger than a carrier would destroy our paddocks here due to the nine-months of mud we get.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 29 Mar 2022, 11:07 am

bladeracer wrote:
bigrich wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

There are real ones around, but I don't need to lug three and a half tons of armour plate around the paddocks, or try to keep an eighty-year-old V8 lump running :-)
I want to build it out of 6mm mild with a 3800cc Buick engine. Should be well under 2000kg with a reliable engine. Ground pressure would be tiny so it shouldn't tear up the paddocks. Still going to need hearing protection and a helmet though :-)

Would be awesome for things like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOO5IJ1b-7g

Would be neat to make it amphibious as well, not sure it has the footprint for that but making it significantly lighter would help.

Anything bigger than a carrier would destroy our paddocks here due to the nine-months of mud we get.

sounds like you've got it well sussed blade . a efi v6 would climb better without having to worry about carby float levels flooding the engine :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel