Mazda Vs Hilux

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Mazda Vs Hilux

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Jan 2023, 9:23 pm

wanneroo wrote:The Hilux is not sold in the USA and cannot be imported individually for road use until 25 years old. However one place I work we had them for a contract we had for off road use only and I drove them plenty. Frankly I found them a slug to drive and they really don't handle all that great. On that alone I'd go for the Mazda, because the Mazda would have to be better.

WTF ?
What is their reasoning for not allowing their imports until they are 25 yo ???

Do GM and the likes have fears that they may become popular and outsell the home grown stuff ?
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Billo » 31 Jan 2023, 10:33 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
wanneroo wrote:The Hilux is not sold in the USA and cannot be imported individually for road use until 25 years old. However one place I work we had them for a contract we had for off road use only and I drove them plenty. Frankly I found them a slug to drive and they really don't handle all that great. On that alone I'd go for the Mazda, because the Mazda would have to be better.

WTF ?

Do GM and the likes have fears that they may become popular and outsell the home grown stuff ?

Bingo, its a vote winner, pretty dumb also :lol:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 01 Feb 2023, 1:52 am

Die Judicii wrote:

WTF ?

You can import anything as long as it complies with Department of Transportation rules and Environmental Protection Agency rules. That involves crash testing and other things. It's an expensive process. Some people have done it for R34 Nissan Skylines.

Toyota has other trucks that they sell here in the USA and make here as well.

The 25 year rule came about in the 1980s when Mercedes Benz lobbied Congress to pass the rules as at the time people were going to Europe and thanks to the exchange rate at the time, buying Mercedes, Porsches, whatever and importing them here on their own undercutting Mercedes or other factory dealers. They were called "grey market imports". It's basically a protectionism rule.

As a result if there is a cool car I want I have to wait until it is 25 years old. For instance I want a Ford Falcon, so I can import anything made before January 1998 right now. Next trip to Australia I will be buying a Falcon and/or a Commodore from the 1990s.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by womble » 01 Feb 2023, 3:17 am

That’s very eshay of you.
It will be hard to source a good commodore or falcon from that era and harder still to remove the smell of bong water.
But best of luck with it, there are some beauties that have been well kept.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel