Mazda Vs Hilux

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Mazda Vs Hilux

Post by JimTom » 26 Jan 2023, 6:43 am

G’day Gents

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the aforementioned dual cab utes? I am in the market for one at present, and I’d be interested to hear your opinions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Re: Mazda Vs Hilux

Post by on_one_wheel » 26 Jan 2023, 10:29 am

Years / models / budget ?

Iv seen what hard work does to those kind of vehicles and I'm generally not impressed.
That's sort of stuff probably holds up reasonably well with basic highly duties though.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 26 Jan 2023, 11:05 am

JimTom wrote:G’day Gents

Anyone have anything good or bad to say about the aforementioned dual cab utes? I am in the market for one at present, and I’d be interested to hear your opinions.

What years and for what purpose?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Billo » 26 Jan 2023, 12:17 pm

JimTom wrote:G’day Gents

My old man runs a freestyle cab BT50, crackin motor which has the updated 4JJ3 motor. I towed a tractor n trailer 600km the other day from nth NSW to the central west and I came away mightly impressed, fuel economy towin 2 tonnes came in just over 11L/100km.

BT50 and Hilux both run the same bullet proof Aisin autobox, Mazda for me purely on motor :drinks:
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 26 Jan 2023, 2:51 pm

Buying new I’d not be concerned about either. And you have great warranties to back up their products.
Secondhand all comes down maintenance, how well they’ve been looked after. Genuine service history and whatever else is needed when required.
Oil and filters how often were they done and records of that.
I’ve got an older ranger pushing 400,000. Still on its first head and clutch. I do fuel, oil and air filters every 5,000.
General services are not complicated and easy enough to do myself.
I get it to a good mechanic before any long trip for a full inspection and anything at all he picks up no matter how minor. Even though it might still be good for a while I just get it replaced.

Above post getting 11 litres for 100ks towing two tonnes. Dose’nt get any better than that.

They don’t really make crap cars anymore. Just comes down to the owner following the scheduled maintenance.
The beauty of the Toyotas is they’ve they’ve always come detuned and over engineered from new so that the worst owners have a hard time killing them. But finding a privately owned one that’s been well maintained is rare.
The Mazdas are just as good though and don’t always command the outrageous prices people ask for second hand rangers and hilux.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jan 2023, 11:46 pm

If you want a man's ute buy a Triton. :allegedly: :clap:

Jokes aside.11/100 is pretty good.
My Triton gets about 15 towing a 2.5t full van.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 6:11 am

I am buying new and both very similar in price. They won't be worked too hard, just a bit of boat towing to the ramp and back, shooting trips away, nothing to hard core as far a 4wd action goes.
There are a few pros and cons for both I guess. At least a 12 month wait to get a Hilux, whereas the Mazda is available in a few months. Hilux has much better resale value, which is a player I guess if you're thinking of flipping it after a few years. Mazda does seem to be more comfortable and spacious inside, Hilux is a bit more capable off road, both have the same warranty however the Hilux has a six month/10000km service schedule.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 6:12 am

I have watched just about everything on 4wd ute of the year etc, and 2nd / 3rd place generally seems to be split between the Hilux and the BT50. Decisions decisions.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 27 Jan 2023, 7:57 am

My experience is that the Mazda (which is a D-Max) is as capable off road as the Hilux. Add the rear diff lock and that adds to its abilities.

I have 7 D-Max as well as a M-UX and 1 Toyota so mabe that shows my bias
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 8:22 am

Yep fair enough mate. You do seem to get a few more extras with the BT as well, and yep I believe the exact same engine as the DMax.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Jan 2023, 2:00 pm

I used to have hiuxes. Now i have maxda because the wait for a new hilux was too long. Mines a 2021 model the auto safety driving self driving auto braking stuff is a nightmare. I hate it with a passion. I cant just turn it off. Every time i start it up i have to go thru a long time consuming menu deleting sll this rubbish. Some cars when u turn it off it stays off. Not maxda. Every single bloody time i start it up i have to di this rubbish. I absolutely bloody hate it with a passion . But the car is fine. Very responsive deisel engine. Hopefully they have changed this by now because of too many complaints
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Tiger650 » 27 Jan 2023, 4:26 pm

My choice would be Triton or Mazda / Isuzu.
That said I would look long and hard at the Diesel vs Petrol options, distillate is bloody expensive and initial higher cost of the oil engine and ongoing cost of more expensive fuel may cancel out diesel fuel consumption advantage.
Then you have those ba$t#rd DPFs that must now be fitted to diesels, a true PITA.
The DPF on my Triton has cost me near $300.00 over 120,000 km, once went into "limp" mode, all the way from Taree to Maitland due to a faulty wiring connector, still cost me $140.00 and an argument to get it seen to at the Maitland Stealer
Second issue only recently is a concern, look into DPF issues and you will find high oil level faults, this is the result of fuel being injected after top dead centre to afterburn in the DPF, this sucks fuel and also passes by the rings and dilutes crankcase oil !
Apart from bore / piston wear when the dilution is taking place I worry about the effect of diluted oil on crankshaft bearings, the recommended low ash oil [for the bloody DPF] is 5W-30, low viscosity to start with even before dumping fuel into it.
For my purposes I doubt I would buy another diesel.
The Triton has relatively few DPF issues compared to others, maybe google Ford Ranger and VW Amarok DPF to see a real s#it show.
Tiger650
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 6:20 pm

Gents I sincerely thank you for the input. Have taken it all on board.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jan 2023, 6:35 pm

DPF is a bastard. Has been the cause of a few farm ute fires around here too. That said my 2021 Ranger has one, no trouble….yet.
My Kenworth had one, nothing but fault codes and trouble, needless to say I had it removed, now it’s a different truck. EGR delete is next.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 27 Jan 2023, 6:59 pm

Tiger650 wrote:diesel fuel consumption advantage.

Say what? Are you saying a diesel is supposed to get better mileage than petrol? I've only owned three diesels and all are horrific guzzlers of fuel. My girlfriend owned a diesel HiAce van when we met and it also was atrocious.

My first was a 2.2L Hilux, I swapped the engine out for a petrol 4.2L V8 which gave so much more power and the same fuel economy.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 6:59 pm

Shootermick wrote:DPF is a bastard. Has been the cause of a few farm ute fires around here too. That said my 2021 Ranger has one, no trouble….yet.
My Kenworth had one, nothing but fault codes and trouble, needless to say I had it removed, now it’s a different truck. EGR delete is next.

What mode KW do you have Sir?
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by Shootermick » 27 Jan 2023, 7:17 pm

JimTom wrote:
Shootermick wrote:DPF is a bastard. Has been the cause of a few farm ute fires around here too. That said my 2021 Ranger has one, no trouble….yet.

What mode KW do you have Sir?

Nothing flash. 2012 403. Good truck though.
.22, .22wmr, 223, 243, 303, 20ga, 12ga
Shootermick
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 27 Jan 2023, 7:53 pm

I did my MC license test in a 400 series KW. Think it was a 402 from memory. Can’t go wrong with a KW.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by albat » 29 Jan 2023, 10:39 pm

Bought my hilux in 2019 , for my purposes hunting in the gulf and western Qld I wouldn't own any other brand but Toyota massive dealer network if things turn to crap
albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by womble » 30 Jan 2023, 3:14 am

That’s 2 wins for the hilux then.
Resale. Depreciation.
Dealer network.
Toyota really have put in the hard yards with regional Australia. Unsurpassed.

If both are around the same price new then theres the logical choice.
But the hilux donk is a bit boring. They’re not really punchy compared to the fords and Nissans I’ve driven. Haven’t driven a d max. But seems like they’re worth having a look at too. First impressions tick all the boxes.
Personal criteria is going to be a very individual thing here.
For me it probably would be a triton. Just for a long term private purchase that would have to be a good compromise as a daily and excursion vehicle.
But if you’re upgrading every 2-4 years. Then the tritons not winning.
Last edited by womble on 30 Jan 2023, 3:47 am, edited 3 times in total.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 30 Jan 2023, 3:22 am

bladeracer wrote:
Tiger650 wrote:diesel fuel consumption advantage.

Say what? Are you saying a diesel is supposed to get better mileage than petrol? I've only owned three diesels and all are horrific guzzlers of fuel. My girlfriend owned a diesel HiAce van when we met and it also was atrocious.

My first was a 2.2L Hilux, I swapped the engine out for a petrol 4.2L V8 which gave so much more power and the same fuel economy.

I probably don’t get better mileage with diesel but carrying a load the diesel is a clear winner.
Petrol loaded up with aircon on full. Higher rpm at cruising speeds in remote areas. If you’re in western QLD or NSW. I won’t mention cruising speeds, but you have to make good time because fatigue is the bigger worry.
Petrol just evaporates out there. The other worry is bad fuel. s**t fuel is not hard to find.
Hilux will run on s**t.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 30 Jan 2023, 5:44 am

Pulled the trigger on a BT50 gents. 12 month wait on the Hilux, maybe longer.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 30 Jan 2023, 12:46 pm

womble wrote:I probably don’t get better mileage with diesel but carrying a load the diesel is a clear winner.
Petrol loaded up with aircon on full. Higher rpm at cruising speeds in remote areas. If you’re in western QLD or NSW. I won’t mention cruising speeds, but you have to make good time because fatigue is the bigger worry.
Petrol just evaporates out there. The other worry is bad fuel. s**t fuel is not hard to find.
Hilux will run on s**t.

The Landcruiser gets around 7kpl on the road, but we don't do a lot of that. Mostly it's buzzing around the farm properties and a trip into town every month maybe, which brings it down to around 6kpl overall. Towing 2500kg of cattle crate and cows on the highway drops it to about 5kpl - the same as we get out of the bus on the highway. My diesel Hilux got 7kpl and still got 7kpl after I swapped in the 253. My cars with 302's also got around 7-8kpl and didn't seem to care how much weight I was towing.

Our cars give us around 14kpl, a bit more when we're just on the highway for long stretches. We run 98RON in all our petrol engines. Riding bikes for decades I learned that I got about 10% more mileage using 98 over 91 or 95RON so it doesn't cost any more and leaves a cleaner engine.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 30 Jan 2023, 3:10 pm

My Isuzu M-UX averaged 11 kpl before I put all the fruit on it - now averages about 10 kpl. The 7 D-Maxes average between 8.5 and 10 kpl depending on the model and who is driving them!
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jan 2023, 10:37 pm

Blr243 wrote:I used to have hiuxes. Now i have maxda because the wait for a new hilux was too long. Mines a 2021 model the auto safety driving self driving auto braking stuff is a nightmare. I hate it with a passion. I cant just turn it off. Every time i start it up i have to go thru a long time consuming menu deleting sll this rubbish. Some cars when u turn it off it stays off. Not maxda. Every single bloody time i start it up i have to di this rubbish. I absolutely bloody hate it with a passion . But the car is fine. Very responsive deisel engine. Hopefully they have changed this by now because of too many complaints

I've got a brand new pair of side cutters. If you promise to look after them I'll loan em to ya to get the job done under the dashboard. :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 30 Jan 2023, 10:43 pm

JimTom wrote:Pulled the trigger on a BT50 gents. 12 month wait on the Hilux, maybe longer.

On your salary I woulda thought you'd just order one of each Mate,,,,, :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by deye243 » 30 Jan 2023, 11:41 pm

JimTom wrote:Pulled the trigger on a BT50 gents. 12 month wait on the Hilux, maybe longer.

Good luck with your purchase I have heard good and bad every of manufacturer I probably know 10 people in my town who have Ford Rangers varies from the best vehicle they ever bought to one poor sod who has had possession of it for 5 weeks in 12 months yep it's a lemon and have heard similar stories about Hilux and Mitsubishi funnily enough think you made a wise choice have not heard anything like that about what you chose more than likely due to I don't know anybody with one again good luck with the new car Lotto these days as it is a ****** of money for a vehicle I can remember paying $40,000 for a house
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2023, 5:50 am

Die Judicii wrote:

On your salary I woulda thought you'd just order one of each Mate,,,,, :lol: :lol: :thumbsup:

:lol: :lol: Yeah that would be nice eh.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by JimTom » 31 Jan 2023, 5:52 am

deye243 wrote:

Good luck with your purchase I have heard good and bad every of manufacturer I probably know 10 people in my town who have Ford Rangers varies from the best vehicle they ever bought to one poor sod who has had possession of it for 5 weeks in 12 months yep it's a lemon and have heard similar stories about Hilux and Mitsubishi funnily enough think you made a wise choice have not heard anything like that about what you chose more than likely due to I don't know anybody with one again good luck with the new car Lotto these days as it is a ****** of money for a vehicle I can remember paying $40,000 for a house

Thanks mate, yep definitely a lot of coin for a car nowadays. Ridiculous really.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 31 Jan 2023, 12:13 pm

The Hilux is not sold in the USA and cannot be imported individually for road use until 25 years old. However one place I work we had them for a contract we had for off road use only and I drove them plenty. Frankly I found them a slug to drive and they really don't handle all that great. On that alone I'd go for the Mazda, because the Mazda would have to be better.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel