Custom Builders Forums ?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Custom Builders Forums ?

Post by Die Judicii » 28 Mar 2023, 11:24 pm

I've been searching various Off Road Clubs, Forums, etc that cater for people that build their own custom machines.
Thus far I've drawn a total blank.
They all seem to inherently belong to named existing vehicles, ie: Ford, Holden, Nissan, Cruiser, etc and modifications.
I cannot find a single one that caters for people that want to build a machine from the ground up.

Anyone got any suggestions or knowledge on such sites ?
Preferably Australian,,,,,,, but hey,,,,,,,,,,,,, When in Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:unknown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Custom Builders Forums ?

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2023, 2:22 am

Die Judicii wrote:I've been searching various Off Road Clubs, Forums, etc that cater for people that build their own custom machines.
Thus far I've drawn a total blank.
They all seem to inherently belong to named existing vehicles, ie: Ford, Holden, Nissan, Cruiser, etc and modifications.
I cannot find a single one that caters for people that want to build a machine from the ground up.

Anyone got any suggestions or knowledge on such sites ?
Preferably Australian,,,,,,, but hey,,,,,,,,,,,,, When in Rome,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

:unknown:

I've been following some groups for a fair while on Facebook for people that build all sorts of vehicles from the ground up.
I don't think any of them are specifically Australian but there are certainly Aussies in them.
This is a public one.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/2215935425377504/
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by geoff » 29 Mar 2023, 9:50 am

Facebook groups have all but killed many forums, which is a real shame because they really don't provide the same functionality.
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2023, 11:48 am

geoff wrote:Facebook groups have all but killed many forums, which is a real shame because they really don't provide the same functionality.

Yep, FB is garbage as a receptacle for knowledge. When I see anything of interest I have to remember to take copious screenshots immediately as I'll never find it again no matter how hard I search.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 29 Mar 2023, 4:09 pm

This is not a forum,,,,, but if you are in the least bit interested in building off road stuff Google "Hagglands Extreme" and watch the video
about the "tracks" that this guy built.
It's very good, and shows how he made the tracks themselves,,,,,, but,,,,,, a lot of the nitty gritty stuff is absent.
Worth watching though.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 29 Mar 2023, 6:53 pm

Die Judicii wrote:This is not a forum,,,,, but if you are in the least bit interested in building off road stuff Google "Hagglands Extreme" and watch the video
about the "tracks" that this guy built.
It's very good, and shows how he made the tracks themselves,,,,,, but,,,,,, a lot of the nitty gritty stuff is absent.
Worth watching though.

Yep, I like tracks :-)
That's why I wanted to build a replica Bren Carrier.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 31 Mar 2023, 8:28 pm

So,,,,,,,,,, I'm wanting to get two (matching) rear differentials.
I was thinking of going approx 1990's 75 Series Landcruiser until,,,,,,,,,, I rang some wreckers.
They are asking $3,600 each for complete hub to hub diffs (second hand,,,, not reconditioned)

There must be other makes/models that would achieve my needs for less bucks outlaid surely.

My simple and basic needs are,,,,,,,,,,

# Conventional differentials (NOT LSD)
# Preferably disc brake (but will consider drum brake)
# Preferably of 4x4 origin (but not absolutely essential)
# Leaf or Coil design
# Not something obscure and difficult to find parts for.

Any of you blokes out there got any suggestions as to makes, models, that could be used ? :unknown:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by geoff » 01 Apr 2023, 11:26 am

I would have thought a Commodore or Falcon rear diff might be cheap and plentiful?
geoff
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel