Import a quad from NZ

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Import a quad from NZ

Post by Amityville » 13 Apr 2023, 3:44 pm

With the ridiculous prices of 10year old quads / Yamaha Kodiak / Grizzly etc hitting above original sale price, has anyone looked to bring in an import from NZ ?They are still allowed to sell a normal quad bike brand new, so could import a new one?

Checking facebook NZ sites https://www.facebook.com/groups/nzquadbikebuysellexchange/ or https://www.trademe.co.nz/a/motors/motorbikes/motorbikes/search?search_string=yamaha%20grizzly&sort_order=motorspricedesc
THe NZ versions of 2nd hand are where you would expect a 2nd hand quad bike to be pricewise, in in an open market.
In WA, we have people selling 10yr Yamaha Grizzly for more than new price, let alone a two year old for 25k!
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/it ... ger_banner

The Polaris Magnum 500 I had in NZ I bought for 5k and sold for 4K 5 years later, looks like I should have put it on the boat to Freemantle!
Looking through the non road going vehicle avenue these might be importable - anyone know?
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Re: Import a quad from NZ

Post by northdude » 13 Apr 2023, 4:32 pm

if its off a farm it might have a rotten frame.
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Amityville » 17 Apr 2023, 9:15 pm

The three companies contacted weren't keen, the change in laws has left Australians with only option of buying CFmoto - Chinas finest.

Not keen on a Cfmoto, will hunt down a few year old one in reasonable price local, though that reasonable price will be 5-10k more than new currently
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Larry » 19 Apr 2023, 4:23 pm

I imported a motor bike 10 years ago from overseas. I was very lucky that I had in fact bought it in Aus and exported it for my use while overseas. If the motor vehicle does not have Aus compliance plates then the options for import are greatly reduced. Next to none.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by bladeracer » 19 Apr 2023, 4:40 pm

Larry wrote:I imported a motor bike 10 years ago from overseas. I was very lucky that I had in fact bought it in Aus and exported it for my use while overseas. If the motor vehicle does not have Aus compliance plates then the options for import are greatly reduced. Next to none.

Compliance is only for road use isn't it? Plenty of import bikes get brought in for racing, and cars I think (I knew some guys in Perth that were racing JDM cars they imported themselves). There was a place in Perth in the nineties that was bringing in containers of Jap bikes and they were able to get them complianced for road use, but it was very expensive.

With a quad I think the costs of importing would likely rule it out for most people. I did a roof for a guy that imported some cars from the US, he went over there, stripped them apart, filled a container with them, sent it over here, and reassembled them. I don't recall why precisely but it saved him a ton of money apparently. Actually, I knew another guy back then that imported virtually an entire Jaguar from the UK by sending it over in bits over several years. He was going there a couple times a year anyway so he'd send enough parts each time to keep himself occupied for a few months at a time.

Shouldn't be hard to do this with a quad. Do you need the whole thing or just the frame and buy the rest locally to build it?
Last edited by bladeracer on 19 Apr 2023, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 19 Apr 2023, 7:49 pm

I might have to try and export quads from here. A guy over here goes to the states every couple of years and buys one of those monster caravans and brings it back. He fills it with harleys as there's no extra freight.
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Larry » 20 Apr 2023, 10:05 am

When the Aus $ was above 1-1 with the US I imported 6 ride on mowers from the US to sell here made a bit of money on the side. The import of those was quite easy and not costly enough to break the deal on making some money but they are not considered for use on roads.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Apr 2023, 11:17 am

"Compliance is only for road use isn't it?"

I think for at least most states now ROP (Roll Over Protection) is now required. Due to a fair few work place deaths. But I'm not up with the detail.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 20 Apr 2023, 2:25 pm

Oldbloke wrote:"Compliance is only for road use isn't it?"

I think for at least most states now ROP (Roll Over Protection) is now required. Due to a fair few work place deaths. But I'm not up with the detail.

So that would make importation of a quad that doesn't have ROP illegal now?
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Larry » 20 Apr 2023, 7:49 pm

They may be illegal to import without the ROP Dont think they would have the process to allow installation after import.
Larry
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

-

Post by northdude » 21 Apr 2023, 8:30 am

I bet its a real ball ache to get rop approved as well
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Oldbloke » 21 Apr 2023, 2:03 pm

northdude wrote:I bet its a real ball ache to get rop approved as well

Yep, pretty sure you can't import.
Some companies are refusing to fit ROPS, so u can no longer purchase.

The thing is, the ROPS, are really very simple and cheap to make. It would be the cost of the engineer reports that would be expensive if you wanted to DIY.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Amityville » 22 Apr 2023, 4:51 pm

Larry wrote:They may be illegal to import without the ROP Dont think they would have the process to allow installation after import.

The ROP is the easiest part, its 800 dollars and I think a pretty good idea looking into them, considering the amount of quads I've seen on sides.

The hard bit is the Tilt Table test to show at what angle they roll, which makes it uneconomical, even for honda / suzuki / yamaha etc, hence why they pulled out of the market here in 2021
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Apr 2023, 5:17 pm

Amityville wrote:
Larry wrote:They may be illegal to import without the ROP Dont think they would have the process to allow installation after import.

The ROP is the easiest part, its 800 dollars and I think a pretty good idea looking into them, considering the amount of quads I've seen on sides.

The hard bit is the Tilt Table test to show at what angle they roll, which makes it uneconomical, even for honda / suzuki / yamaha etc, hence why they pulled out of the market here in 2021

Would you mind explaining that further.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Amityville » 29 Apr 2023, 4:17 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Amityville wrote:

Would you mind explaining that further.

During peak covid 2021, a law change was made that states all quad bikes sold must display a tilt table roll over angle, front back side rear, and must be fitted with a roll protection. They put the quad on a table/platform with a dummy rider, and slowly lift up one side until the quad rolls over, destroying the quad...

Honda yamaha suzuki kawasaki polaris can am all said, see ya later and stopped selling in Australia
The only company selling new quads is chinese cfmoto

Farmers went nuts buying up stock prior to end of moratorium 2022, now you see 2nd hand 10yr old quads for sale for more than they were new!
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Amityville » 29 Apr 2023, 4:24 pm

Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Apr 2023, 5:28 pm

Thx Amityville.
I was, like most, aware of the ROP requirement. But the roll over angle display is new to me. Personally it makes sense to me. Puzzled why so many pulled out of our market.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 30 Apr 2023, 6:31 am

Could dismantle them and bring in as parts. Then re assemble
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by Amityville » 02 May 2023, 12:11 am

Oldbloke wrote:Thx Amityville.
I was, like most, aware of the ROP requirement. But the roll over angle display is new to me. Personally it makes sense to me. Puzzled why so many pulled out of our market.

I think it was more the Australian specific requirements, not matching the manufactures own roll over angles test procedure, probably having to have them certified here via Crashlabs etc, but also the fitting of after market roll over devices that aren't really tested.

I think my SxS Honda quad had a side roll over angle on it when purchased, but terrain is never tabletop flat and who can judge 32 vs 34 degrees!

, initially I was going to put the grinder through the built in cage as if the quad does roll, on previous quads, I jump, and don't want to get squashed by a cage. Plus the higher centre of gravity means more likely to roll. But I've got used to it and will be good to mount a light bar on one day.

Those 2021
Amityville
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel