Tyre Pressure Effect on Storage Height

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Tyre Pressure Effect on Storage Height

Post by 9.3x64 » 26 Jul 2023, 8:40 pm

I am close to putting my hard earned down on a new van, but just looking for someone who has done this before to sanity check what I am thinking.
The van I am looking at has a storage height of 2215mm, my garage is 2200mm. The van has airbag suspension and onboard compressor, so I am thinking that I will just deflate the tyres and push it in the garage. It will sit on deflated tyres until the next trip. The tyres are 265/70/17”.
Does anyone know from experience how much the storage height will approximately drop if I reduce the tyre pressure from 40psi to say 20psi?
Thanks in advance
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Tyre Pressure Effect on Storage Height

Post by womble » 27 Jul 2023, 4:08 am

I know it will ruin your tyres if you leave it like that. High sidewall belted radials. Not a good idea.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Billo » 27 Jul 2023, 9:44 am

What sort of van ?

Is it possible to go a slightly smaller rolling diameter tyre to help with clearance ? Most online manufacturers supply this on there website

I guess with airbag suspension you don't have any height adjustment like you do with an adjustable coilover ?
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 9.3x64 » 27 Jul 2023, 12:04 pm

Billo wrote:What sort of van ?

Is it possible to go a slightly smaller rolling diameter tyre to help with clearance ? Most online manufacturers supply this on there website

I guess with airbag suspension you don't have any height adjustment like you do with an adjustable coilover ?

It an AOR Quantum.
I could go 265/65/17 instead of 265/70/17.
That would save about 26mm in overall diameter, or 13mm in storage height.

2215mm is the minimum that the airbag suspension can be lowered.
Last edited by 9.3x64 on 27 Jul 2023, 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by 9.3x64 » 27 Jul 2023, 12:10 pm

I have just rechecked my measurements and I definitely only have 2200mm at the door, and it has just been raised.
But, the inside clearance is 2220mm.
So I reckon I am good to go. I can lower the 70 profile tyres down to 10 or 15 psi and push it in. The driveway is dead level and it only needs to be pushed about 6 meters. Once in I will put 30/40 psi in the tyres for storage.
I just have to make sure that I lower them to 10/15 psi before pulling it out again.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2023, 12:48 pm

9.3x64 wrote:I have just rechecked my measurements and I definitely only have 2200mm at the door, and it has just been raised.
So I reckon I am good to go. I can lower the 70 profile tyres down to 10 or 15 psi and push it in. The driveway is dead level and it only needs to be pushed about 6 meters. Once in I will put 30/40 psi in the tyres for storage.
I just have to make sure that I lower them to 10/15 psi before pulling it out again.

IMO not likely. It is 1.8T empty. If you lower the pressure that far will be very difficult to push due to increases resistance. Perhaps test the idea before departing with you cash.

Perhaps lower the tyre pressure of your ute/car and try pushing that.

Edit: if need be you can buy 12v caravan movers. Plug into the Anderson plug I guess.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 27 Jul 2023, 12:52 pm

Winch it in with block and tackle
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 27 Jul 2023, 1:14 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
9.3x64 wrote:I have just rechecked my measurements and I definitely only have 2200mm at the door, and it has just been raised.

IMO not likely. It is 1.8T empty. If you lower the pressure that far will be very difficult to push due to increases resistance. Perhaps test the idea before departing with you cash.

Perhaps lower the tyre pressure of your ute/car and try pushing that.

Edit: if need be you can buy 12v caravan movers. Plug into the Anderson plug I guess.

I should not have said “push it in”.
It comes with a 12v mover (option) to “push it in”.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 27 Jul 2023, 2:30 pm

OK. Should be OK then, :)
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 27 Jul 2023, 7:27 pm

womble wrote:I know it will ruin your tyres if you leave it like that. High sidewall belted radials. Not a good idea.

Thanks womble good point to keep in mind after putting it away. It would be easy to drop the pressure, put it away and leave the tyres deflated until next trip.
But not ideal for the tyres.. :thumbsup:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 28 Jul 2023, 8:08 pm

It will be much more difficult to move with those pressures, electric mover may struggle. It is also possible you MAY lose a tyre off the bead pushing a flat tyre.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by ob1 » 29 Jul 2023, 1:27 am

You are assuming that you are going to be able to park it with the roof perfectly parallel to the storage area floor. Not going to happen.

If your drawbar is angled down or up even a slight angle you are going to have no clearance.
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by 9.3x64 » 29 Jul 2023, 1:07 pm

ob1 wrote:You are assuming that you are going to be able to park it with the roof perfectly parallel to the storage area floor. Not going to happen.

If your drawbar is angled down or up even a slight angle you are going to have no clearance.

Yes, that’s a good point and something I hadn’t considered. But the driveway and garage floor are level. I might just have to put a level on the draw bar first.
Thanks for mentioning it. :thumbsup:
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2023, 4:08 pm

Will they sling the springs under the axles? Assuming it's basic suspension? That will give you about 50mm
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 29 Jul 2023, 7:39 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Will they sling the springs under the axles? Assuming it's basic suspension? That will give you about 50mm

I will take a punt and suggest with airbag suspension it will be independant.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 29 Jul 2023, 8:10 pm

Yeh, should have reread read the OP.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ob1 » 30 Jul 2023, 12:56 am

Have you investigated smaller wheels?

Something like a 10 or 11 inch trailer wheel? You are not going onroad with them, so they just have to carry a static load.

Jack the van, replace each wheel, roll into storage. Reverse process to travel. If you have 17 inch wheels on at present you get a lot more clearance with a smaller rim and low profile tyres.

Here you go - they say the larger wheels are R16 and the smaller wheel R14. Big difference in height, would be even better with smaller trailer wheels.

https://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn1 ... wheels.jpg
ob1
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Jul 2023, 9:42 am

Pay for storage
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by 9.3x64 » 30 Jul 2023, 1:03 pm

ob1 wrote:Have you investigated smaller wheels?

Something like a 10 or 11 inch trailer wheel? You are not going onroad with them, so they just have to carry a static load.

Jack the van, replace each wheel, roll into storage. Reverse process to travel. If you have 17 inch wheels on at present you get a lot more clearance with a smaller rim and low profile tyres.

Here you go - they say the larger wheels are R16 and the smaller wheel R14. Big difference in height, would be even better with smaller trailer wheels.

Yeah I have considered that before, and I may go down that path if letting a bit of air out doesn’t work.
They are 17” wheels at the moment, so smaller wheels would make a big difference.
9.3x64
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 30 Jul 2023, 7:53 pm

9.3x64 wrote:
ob1 wrote:Have you investigated smaller wheels?

Yeah I have considered that before, and I may go down that path if letting a bit of air out doesn’t work.
They are 17” wheels at the moment, so smaller wheels would make a big difference.

Any wheel you used would have to fit over the brakes fitted.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel