Mounting water storage on bonnet

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Mounting water storage on bonnet

Post by Lorgar » 15 Sep 2023, 1:25 pm

Hey all,

I'm working on the idea of mounting some water storage on my Prado bonnet. Something similar to how Jeep can mount their highlight jack on the bonnet near the windscreen

With a flat watertank something like this.

50L_Roof_Rack_Water_Tank_with_Barbed_Outlet_-_13_Gal_1__90368.jpg
50L_Roof_Rack_Water_Tank_with_Barbed_Outlet_-_13_Gal_1__90368.jpg (11.81 KiB) Viewed 2116 times

My questions are:

Legality? I believe as long as the tank doesn't obscure my vision to the road, it is ok.

How to mount it? I don't want to drill holes in the bonnet.

I'm vaguely picturing mounting the tank on a basic square frame which clamps onto the bullbar at the front to do the majority of the work on holding it in place., and potentially suction cups on the end of the frame closest to the windscreen to add stability without screwing with the bonnet.

Also wondering about weight, and what is appropriate if going ahead with something like the above.

20L / kg max? 40? 50?

What do we think?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Re: Mounting water storage on bonnet

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2023, 2:14 pm

Just a suggestion but have you considered something like this. Very small when empty.

https://www.bcf.com.au/p/wanderer-colla ... 89698.html

Although that's pretty expensive. Paid about half that for mine.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 15 Sep 2023, 2:18 pm

If you like hot water go for it
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 15 Sep 2023, 3:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just a suggestion but have you considered something like this. Very small when empty.

Yeah, a collapsible one doesn't really accomplish what I'm after.

At the start of every trip it will be full, of course, so the space is still occupied.

At the moment I have 2x 20L jerry cans which live in the cabin, which is a bit of a pain. Moving elsewhere would free up a passenger seat worth of space, effectively.

They can't go on the roof, as with my usual roof cargo I'm at the point I don't want to add any more weight there. An extra 40kg on the roof would take me beyond what I would say is sensible/safe against causing roof damage when off roading.

Hence my now thinking around doing something with the bonnet. Hmmm.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 15 Sep 2023, 3:49 pm

Well a litre weighs a kilo so let’s see…
50 litres, that’s a lot of kilos…
riding high on the bonnet. Plus it’s shifting weight. So it’s going to have an effect, steering, braking, suspension. It’s not going to be an enhancement that’s for sure.
50 litres of water is a lot to carry. Possibly more than you need. But that’s none of my business.
Have you considered the tanks that sit across the rear floor front of the passenger seats. That’s probably the most ideal place to locate weight. Smack between the axles and low.
Something like this.https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/poly-footwell-water-tank-40-litre
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Jackaroo » 15 Sep 2023, 5:18 pm

Had a Series 2A Land Rover with a the spare on the bonnet.....what a major PITA it was to open the bonnet with the weight.
Jackaroo
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by womble » 15 Sep 2023, 6:14 pm

bigpete wrote:If you like hot water go for it

I like my water like I like my women. Hot, wet and unstable.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2023, 9:05 pm

womble wrote:
bigpete wrote:If you like hot water go for it

I like my water like I like my women. Hot, wet and unstable.

Who doesn't. Lol

Yes, a far superior option. 12v pumps are cheap too.
.https://www.outbackequipment.com.au/pol ... k-40-litre

I believe you can get bladders like that too.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Sep 2023, 9:16 pm

About $120

https://youtu.be/7C9XhpjGR9w?feature=shared

BTW.
5 Ltd water + about 20mil of bleach (plenty)
Soak for 2 - 3hrs
Drain and rinse
Air

When in storage just pack away, bacteria can't live without light.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 16 Sep 2023, 7:29 pm

I am a bit of a tinkerer when it comes to 4wd's. Have been for a long time.

I like your thought process to maximise space, however I think this idea has enough problems to put it in the too hard basket. The bull bar is chassis mounted, separate from the body by flexible rubber mounts, so they do not move together. Any mounts between the two will flex and simply break the body work, being the weaker mount. Also, the curvature of the bonnet will mean that any mount will sit higher then you would want. And then if you had to lift the bonnet up it will be heavy, or if body mounted (A pillar or mudguards), would not allow the bonnet to be opened unless it was removed.

Centre of garvity will be best served by getting the weight as low as possible. I would be turning your thinking to underbody tanks, or by building water tanks into side steps for example.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 16 Sep 2023, 8:09 pm

GQshayne wrote:The bull bar is chassis mounted, separate from the body by flexible rubber mounts, so they do not move together.

Ah. Yes, you're right. That had slipped my mind. Scratch the bullbar/bonnet idea then.

GQshayne wrote:I would be turning your thinking to underbody tanks, or by building water tanks into side steps for example.

That is in fact exactly what I was doing today.

There are a pair of fair-sized voids underneath between the chassis rails and the side-steps, where I could fit an approximately 1050mm x 150mm PVC pipe on each side. Add a pressure relief valve on the top of each, a hose attachment near the bottom to fill/use, voila.

They would sit above any ground contact points when off-roading, and hold 18-ish litres each, which would suit my volume requirements.

I need to investigate mounting and maintenance, but it's interesting :ugeek:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by womble » 17 Sep 2023, 2:35 am

That’s clever thinking Lorgar and not something I’ve seen done. You should patent your design and sell the patent to arb.
If sidesteps are compliant then a side step tank is pretty brilliant. Unless there’s something I’m missing.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 17 Sep 2023, 10:51 am

I've built pipe tanks under 4x4s,and a mate made a bullbar with a built in water tank. Worked well. Have also built water tanks into roll bars before.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 17 Sep 2023, 6:55 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Not technically correct, bacteria exist on the floor of the Marianas Trench where light never penetrates, as well as 5 km below the surface of continents and 10km below the ocean floor at temperatures over 100C. Clean as stated, allow to dry then put away. Rinse and soak prior to use. It's the bleach kills the bacteria and mould spores.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by GQshayne » 17 Sep 2023, 7:14 pm

I have made PVC pipe tanks to go under a vehicle, a 120 Prado, believe it or not. In the spot you describe. I do not recall how it was secured, but I think it was just done with strap.

It was for a water injection system, so not critical if it was damaged. The engine would run without it. But if it was for drinking water, then suffering damage and losing your water supply is a consideration.
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by womble » 17 Sep 2023, 7:50 pm

Pvc could be damaged, although you have a backup with a twin system if one is damaged . Stainless tube pipe , even thin walled could manage a few dints. Not so easy to pierce.
Plus you could weld mounting brackets to it.
Or the step itself could be a tank, stainless rhs with a bit of chequer plate on top, mounted to the side rails/ scrub bars.
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2023, 9:02 pm

No1Mk3 wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

Not technically correct, bacteria exist on the floor of the Marianas Trench where light never penetrates, as well as 5 km below the surface of continents and 10km below the ocean floor at temperatures over 100C. Clean as stated, allow to dry then put away. Rinse and soak prior to use. It's the bleach kills the bacteria and mould spores.

Yes, o should have said "very few."
But there is no need to use the amount of bleach he used. Way over the top.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Faedy » 18 Sep 2023, 11:23 pm

GQshayne wrote:I have made PVC pipe tanks to go under a vehicle, a 120 Prado, believe it or not. In the spot you describe. I do not recall how it was secured, but I think it was just done with strap.

It was for a water injection system, so not critical if it was damaged. The engine would run without it. But if it was for drinking water, then suffering damage and losing your water supply is a consideration.

Mould is my job - Dont use bleach on mould ( doesnt kill all moulds, only "bleaches" the colour out of them so you think they are gone - go to the chemist and buy some hydrogen peroxide if you really want to kill mould.
Faedy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Sep 2023, 4:22 pm

Being in the "trade",, I have over the years (and quite a few differing vehicles) built both long range fuel tanks and water tanks of 316 Stainless, that were mounted in all manner of spaces and gaps underneath the vehicle, including side step tanks.

Another absolutely ideal location that lends itself for the OP's requirement that no other members have yet come up with or thought of,,,,, is,
If you tow a trailer of any sorts (especially one with high ground clearance is to mount Poly Caravan type water tanks underneath the floor.
They are available in many different capacity sizes, and relatively cheap.
A sheet metal belly belly guard is recommended to guard against rock or stick damage.

Even mounted under the floor of a trailer, the water temp can still get quite high even though it is constantly in the shade.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by GQshayne » 23 Sep 2023, 7:30 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Being in the "trade",, I have over the years (and quite a few differing vehicles) built both long range fuel tanks and water tanks of 316 Stainless, that were mounted in all manner of spaces and gaps underneath the vehicle, including side step tanks.

Another absolutely ideal location that lends itself for the OP's requirement that no other members have yet come up with or thought of,,,,, is,
If you tow a trailer of any sorts (especially one with high ground clearance is to mount Poly Caravan type water tanks underneath the floor.
They are available in many different capacity sizes, and relatively cheap.
A sheet metal belly belly guard is recommended to guard against rock or stick damage.

Even mounted under the floor of a trailer, the water temp can still get quite high even though it is constantly in the shade.

I have a GQ Patrol wagon, with an 80 litre water tank mounted underneath. It provides all water needed for camping, as well as running water injection for the diesel engine. Works well, and is a good size. No trouble fitting it either, it was quite easy actually.

Just had to convert it to a dual cab tray back first. :crazy:
GQshayne
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Blr243 » 27 Sep 2023, 11:14 am

I’d b nervous about adding weight to an area not designed to carry weight. I’m nervous about possible compromise on a component that may lift and smash into your windscreen at 100 Kph
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by northdude » 03 Oct 2023, 3:32 am

What a pain it the arse if you had to get the bonnet up. Have you thought of carrying dehydrated water to save space and weight
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel