Will we keep out Ute's much longer?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Will we keep out Ute's much longer?

Post by Lazarus » 14 Jan 2024, 7:00 am

No1_49er wrote:And I'm sure that there are people who come to this forum who believe that Phizer cured the worlds C19 problem or even that, according to the WHO, smallpox has been eliminated by the use of vaccines.
Yeh, right

When was the last recorded case of smallpox No1_49er?

According to the records, 1977

That's closing on half a century since ANYONE, ANYWHERE, caught smallpox.

Sounds pretty well eliminated, don't you think.

Yet another, wandering off subject to peddle loony tunes nonsense :unknown:
Courage is knowing it might
hurt, and doing it anyway.
Stupidity is the same
And that's why life is hard
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2024, 9:49 am

Not paying $150k mate when I have a very good ute.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jorlcrin » 14 Jan 2024, 3:17 pm

I'd LOVE to change all of our property/station vehicles to EV, but no-one makes a robust or versatile package to do that.
I'd also love to do same to all the small 5hp Honda powered pumps etc we have, but again, there's no real alternatives currently available.
Astounding; it would be pretty appealing to the Ag sector in many countries to build a modular small-vehicle EV fleet system, but no-one seems to even think about it.

For trips into town(80kms each way) on dirt roads, I'll be taking my trusty diesel utes for the foreseeable future.
Why?
Because the flexibility a diesel vehicle gives me, is yet to be offered in EV's, and the solutions they currently offer fall so far short its not funny.
I can load a 200L pod on the back of the ute, fill the onboard fuel tanks, and drive some 2250kms before needing to refuel.
Sounds like overkill, but try doing a 1540km round-trip to Birdsville, if there's slim chance of sourcing fuel there.
My 18yo Landcruiser has pretty CRAP fuel economy, but the bullbar on the front, a load on the back, and the aircon running flat-strap doesnt seem to vary the mileage.
But when I'm down to maybe 100kms remaining in fuel, it takes me 5-10 minutes to re-fuel, take a pit-stop, grab a drink, and be back on the road.
Amusing when EV people talk about 'Range Anxiety'...
Cassette batteries MIGHT be an answer, where I could carry spare 'Fuel'(batteries) with me, but I've only seen those on an experimental road-train doing the Sydney-Brisbane freight runs, so far.
Cassette batteries might also work well for things like small engine replacements, and maybe even some motorbikes(I saw someone like KTM did that about 10 years back).
I LIKE the idea of near-silent vehicles for observation/spotting, and I LIKE the idea we might be able to start 'growing our own' power.
Its that lack of flexibility in re-fuelling an EV, that turns me away.
Not the concept of EV, but the current execution of it.

I see on the ABC news website this morning, of a family of 4; excited about being the first to drag a caravan around Australia with an EV.
No bullbar on the big shiney EV SUV, the caravan looks modified to hell to minimise drag, and they are limited to legs of no more than 270kms between charges.
Sooooo.... BIG chunk of the outback is out of reach for them, and the first big buck wallaroo that dies on the front of that SUV, is going to put paid to the exciting new adventure..
That kinda defeats the reason I'd consider dragging a caravan around Australia in the first place..
The whole reason for dragging a caravan, is to maximise your independence on others.
It's the out-of-the-way places with minimal people, and big-sky scenery that would cause me to drag the caravan along.
The current EV concepts pretty much assume you HAVE to be dependent on others.

Interesting to see Hertz in America ditching a large chunk of their EV rental fleet and returning to ICE-powered vehicles.
Analysts arent sure if the problem lies more with Tesla(most of the vehicles are from them), but Hertz are saying their current EV rental model isnt working for them.

My 2 cents..
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 14 Jan 2024, 3:27 pm

Jorlcrin wrote:I'd LOVE to change all of our property/station vehicles to EV, but no-one makes a robust or versatile package to do that.
I'd also love to do same to all the small 5hp Honda powered pumps etc we have, but again, there's no real alternatives currently available.
Astounding; it would be pretty appealing to the Ag sector in many countries to build a modular small-vehicle EV fleet system, but no-one seems to even think about it.

For trips into town(80kms each way) on dirt roads, I'll be taking my trusty diesel utes for the foreseeable future.
Why?
Because the flexibility a diesel vehicle gives me, is yet to be offered in EV's, and the solutions they currently offer fall so far short its not funny.
I can load a 200L pod on the back of the ute, fill the onboard fuel tanks, and drive some 2250kms before needing to refuel.
Sounds like overkill, but try doing a 1540km round-trip to Birdsville, if there's slim chance of sourcing fuel there.
My 18yo Landcruiser has pretty CRAP fuel economy, but the bullbar on the front, a load on the back, and the aircon running flat-strap doesnt seem to vary the mileage.
But when I'm down to maybe 100kms remaining in fuel, it takes me 5-10 minutes to re-fuel, take a pit-stop, grab a drink, and be back on the road.
Amusing when EV people talk about 'Range Anxiety'...
Cassette batteries MIGHT be an answer, where I could carry spare 'Fuel'(batteries) with me, but I've only seen those on an experimental road-train doing the Sydney-Brisbane freight runs, so far.
Cassette batteries might also work well for things like small engine replacements, and maybe even some motorbikes(I saw someone like KTM did that about 10 years back).
I LIKE the idea of near-silent vehicles for observation/spotting, and I LIKE the idea we might be able to start 'growing our own' power.
Its that lack of flexibility in re-fuelling an EV, that turns me away.
Not the concept of EV, but the current execution of it.

I see on the ABC news website this morning, of a family of 4; excited about being the first to drag a caravan around Australia with an EV.
No bullbar on the big shiney EV SUV, the caravan looks modified to hell to minimise drag, and they are limited to legs of no more than 270kms between charges.
Sooooo.... BIG chunk of the outback is out of reach for them, and the first big buck wallaroo that dies on the front of that SUV, is going to put paid to the exciting new adventure..
That kinda defeats the reason I'd consider dragging a caravan around Australia in the first place..
The whole reason for dragging a caravan, is to maximise your independence on others.
It's the out-of-the-way places with minimal people, and big-sky scenery that would cause me to drag the caravan along.
The current EV concepts pretty much assume you HAVE to be dependent on others.

Interesting to see Hertz in America ditching a large chunk of their EV rental fleet and returning to ICE-powered vehicles.
Analysts arent sure if the problem lies more with Tesla(most of the vehicles are from them), but Hertz are saying their current EV rental model isnt working for them.

My 2 cents..

I agree
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Sarco » 14 Jan 2024, 8:53 pm

Electric & hybid vehicles are participating in Dakar, there is even a separate class for trialing/testing of alternative power sources, eg. hydrogen, cars, trucks and even a couple of motorcycles!

Hard to say what the future may have in store for us.

For my part I will continue in an ICE vehicle until a properly competitive vehicle comes on the market at an affordable price and it can tow my 2.5tonne van for 5 hours and fill up in 15 minutes, anywhere in Australia.
Sarco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Jan 2024, 10:36 pm

Sarco wrote:Electric & hybid vehicles are participating in Dakar, there is even a separate class for trialing/testing of alternative power sources, eg. hydrogen, cars, trucks and even a couple of motorcycles!

Hard to say what the future may have in store for us.

For my part I will continue in an ICE vehicle until a properly competitive vehicle comes on the market at an affordable price and it can tow my 2.5tonne van for 5 hours and fill up in 15 minutes, anywhere in Australia.

Exactly.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 15 Jan 2024, 9:08 am

I wouldn't either OB, even if I had it.

I was just pointing out they are "available" just not to people loke you and I who are happy with the status quo anyway.
When Porshe and Shell get their carbon neutral synthetic fuels upscaled, the tesla types will find they have bought themselves an albatross
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2024, 2:59 pm

We do need to reduce our carbon footprint print but it just can't happen over night. And the advantages of EVs is questionable.
If governments had started the transition 20 years ago instead of burying their heads in the sand as they should have there wouldn't be such a rush.

And, nobody, I mean nobody is talking about the elephant in the room, world population numbers.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 15 Jan 2024, 3:16 pm

Oldbloke wrote:We do need to reduce our carbon footprint print but it just can't happen over night. And the advantages of EVs is questionable.
If governments had started the transition 20 years ago instead of burying their heads in the sand as they should have there wouldn't be such a rush.

And, nobody, I mean nobody is talking about the elephant in the room, world population numbers.

Now that, right there is our biggest problem for sure.

Most Homo sapiens think they are some kind of special, I offered an analogy to someone recently.

If you have an organism, like us for example, that has evolved to rely on an interconnected web of smaller organisms within it to survive, again, like us with bacteria, and one of those smaller organisms start to breed uncontrollably, that organism dies and takes all the others with it.

A planet like the one we infest, is just like a big organism, with the biosphere as the other supporting organisms, and it has one species breeding like Staphylococcus aureus, us.
Maybe Putin is the antibiotic
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 15 Jan 2024, 3:27 pm

Further to the above, am I the only one getting reaaally tired of charity ads for "feeding the children" in countries where everyone has about 10 of the poor little buggers, knowing they can't feed them?

I've heard the virtue signalling snot about , cultural this and religious that, as reasons why they breed like flies, but what about basic common sense?
If you have 5 kids you can't feed, stop rooting, FFS
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jan 2024, 4:27 pm

Lazarus wrote:Further to the above, am I the only one getting reaaally tired of charity ads for "feeding the children" in countries where everyone has about 10 of the poor little buggers, knowing they can't feed them?

I've heard the virtue signalling snot about , cultural this and religious that, as reasons why they breed like flies, but what about basic common sense?

I think it's equally bad that most governments worldwide are reckless enough to continue targeting population growth and don't have a clue how to, or the desire to run an economy without population growth.
Talk about a failed business plan.
At what point do they say enough is enough, we're overpopulated on a planet with finite resources and the arable land that feeds us is slowly shrinking.
It's pure madness.
Here in Australia we're not breeding fast enough for our governments liking so they've increased migrant arrivals by 73% to 737,000 from 427,000 arrivals a year ago.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 15 Jan 2024, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 15 Jan 2024, 4:31 pm

Lazarus wrote:Further to the above, am I the only one getting reaaally tired of charity ads for "feeding the children" in countries where everyone has about 10 of the poor little buggers, knowing they can't feed them?

We agree on this one Laz.

I have a concept that will fix the problem. Just need to get the ball rolling.

Only men over 68yrs be allowed to root the women.
Many men that age (about 45% IIRC) can't get it up, most of the other 60% have old useless sperm or have had a vasectomy as I have.

Then the population will drop and my retirement will improve beyond all expectations. And the girls will be happy :lol:

See, I can solve the world's big problems.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 15 Jan 2024, 4:44 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

I think it's equally bad that most governments worldwide are reckless enough to continue targeting population growth and don't have a clue how to, or the desire to run an economy without population growth.
Talk about a failed business plan.
At what point do they say enough is enough, we're overpopulated on a planet with finite resources and the arable land that feeds us is slowly shrinking.
It's pure madness.
Here in Australia we're not breeding fast enough for our governments liking so they've increased migrant arrivals by 73% to 737,000 from 427,000 arrivals a year ago.

Absolutely.
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 15 Jan 2024, 6:41 pm

Good plan OB.

Failing that, a policy of "backdoor" rather than front might keep the randy bastards happy, without all the starving rugrats
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2024, 7:33 am

No1_49er wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:give ev another 20 years and it'll be mainstream.

I'm glad that you are so certain that there will be enough Lithium available for all the "mainstream ev's"
I presume you've also done the research on how much fossil fuel is used to extract all of your precious Lithium? Or the destruction of water resources used in the mining/extraction.

exactly :thumbsup: the hypocracy of the modern world is to manufacture more "green" crap to solve enviromental issues . population growth is driving manufacturing , and it's manufacturing causing the issues . that's the joke . i worked in a foundry for 12 years , and the huge amount of gas and electricity used to make crawler shoe for draglines/excavators as well as railway bogies and draw gear was just one small part of "the system" ;) we should go back to a pre internet world and live a rural village life :) that's my veiw anyway . but if your not "plugged in" to the modern world with phones and crap you can't do anything these days :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Lazarus » 16 Jan 2024, 8:12 am

bigrich wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

I'm glad that you are so certain that there will be enough Lithium available for all the "mainstream ev's"
I presume you've also done the research on how much fossil fuel is used to extract all of your precious Lithium? Or the destruction of water resources used in the mining/extraction.

exactly :thumbsup: the hypocracy of the modern world is to manufacture more "green" crap to solve enviromental issues . population growth is driving manufacturing , and it's manufacturing causing the issues . that's the joke . i worked in a foundry for 12 years , and the huge amount of gas and electricity used to make crawler shoe for draglines/excavators as well as railway bogies and draw gear was just one small part of "the system" ;) we should go back to a pre internet world and live a rural village life :) that's my veiw anyway . but if your not "plugged in" to the modern world with phones and crap you can't do anything these days :roll:

I am seriously addicted to the instant access to info you get with the web, but yeah, what you said :drinks:
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2024, 8:19 am

Lazarus wrote:
bigrich wrote:
No1_49er wrote:

I am seriously addicted to the instant access to info you get with the web, but yeah, what you said :drinks:

But a hell of a lot of it is simply BS.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Jan 2024, 8:24 am

Oldbloke wrote:But a hell of a lot of it is simply BS.

That's part of the fun OB, the intellectual challenge of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and marvelling at the sheer number who eat up the chaff, because it tells them what they want to hear
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2024, 8:27 am

Lazarus wrote:

That's part of the fun OB, the intellectual challenge of sorting the wheat from the chaff, and marvelling at the sheer number who eat up the chaff, because it tells them what they want to hear

Mmm, I hadn't thought of it in that way.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lazarus » 16 Jan 2024, 8:34 am

Like this

Fox scaring sheep.jpg
Fox scaring sheep.jpg (72.4 KiB) Viewed 2694 times
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Jan 2024, 10:49 am

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
That's fkn funny
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2024, 3:27 pm

Lazarus wrote:

your right on the money there . you can find anything on the net to backup whatever you want to believe in .QANON anyone :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigrich » 16 Jan 2024, 3:31 pm

Lazarus wrote:Like this

Fox scaring sheep.jpg

:thumbsup: :D :drinks:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by wanneroo » 17 Jan 2024, 11:58 am

There are a bunch of hilarious stories here in the USA and Canada with folks with dead EVs due to all the cold we are having.

I saw a bunch out of Canada where people are charging their cars and to stay warm it's sucking juice to run the heater in -50C weather and it takes forever to charge and then if they do get it charged the range is terrible.

One advantage of the combustion engine is HEAT and we don't have those worries. It's funny to watch.

Plenty of clips and stories on X/Twitter.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lazarus » 18 Jan 2024, 6:49 am

I think, for the moment, we dinosaur burners have little to fear.
A good comparison test

https://youtu.be/H-NE9v_tYpE?si=Y1bRQO1b8gfafcv7
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by Lazarus » 18 Jan 2024, 7:59 am

Above is the report by a news network, here is the report by the people who did the test

https://youtu.be/Ggn1zQMMZMI?si=rLjFTUoRsfl9ucRK
Stupidity is the same
Lazarus
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 18 Jan 2024, 1:21 pm

Lazarus wrote:Above is the report by a news network, here is the report by the people who did the test

https://youtu.be/Ggn1zQMMZMI?si=rLjFTUoRsfl9ucRK

I will watch it on the big screen tv soon.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 19 Jan 2024, 10:00 am

wanneroo wrote:
One advantage of the combustion engine is HEAT and we don't have those worries. It's funny to watch.

Plenty of clips and stories on X/Twitter.

You can cook a nice meal on the inlet manifold of a v8 motor. Just make sure the carby doesn’t have any fuel leaks
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 28 Jan 2024, 6:31 pm

Some very interesting info about EVs.
Cadogan is a bit hard to listen to but he raises some good points.

https://youtu.be/OsRrkXiUtV4?si=fe1uokXHrjOs7vQ9
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by gunderson » 29 Jan 2024, 2:27 pm

Oldbloke wrote:We do need to reduce our carbon footprint print but it just can't happen over night. And the advantages of EVs is questionable.

Australia and New Zealand could cut all emissions today, and it would make absolutely no difference.

And Hydrogen is a massive waste of energy and resources.
Last edited by gunderson on 29 Jan 2024, 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gunderson
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

PreviousNext

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel