Brains Trust Question: 4WD Rim Codes

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Brains Trust Question: 4WD Rim Codes

Post by Jorlcrin » 26 Jul 2024, 4:03 pm

So, Looking at replacing the rusty steel rims on my old Landcruiser 105 wagon(solid Axle).

Considering moving to a set of alloy rims, to save weight, and I think I can afford the cost at the moment.

Finally tracked down the rim code on the inside of the steel rim[had to wrestle the spare off the rear mount], which coincided with strongly wanting a set of lighter wheels on this thing!

Rim Code says J 16x8JJ DOT TOPY 507 01 4.2

So, from what I can figure, the DOT stands for a (US??) Dept of Transport, and the TOPY is the OEM wheel manufacturer??
So, not really relevant for figuring out the exact alloy rim I would need.

Obviously, the "16x8JJ" is important.

BUT, what does the "J" at the start mean, and what do the "507 01 4.2" mean?
I thought I had a chart of decoding rim codes, but it seems to have made itself scarce.

Also, I have a set of alloy rims on my Landcruiser ute (HDJ79R - 4.2TD) - ROH 'Impact' - which have been really good wheels.
They look nigh identical to the OEM alloy GXL rims I've seen on a number of 100-series wagons.
I was initially told that the 105 wagon rims were a different offset to the ute, but that was later amended (by a tyre bloke) to the ute shared the same offset/wheel as the Live axle wagon, but different offset to the IFS models.

Anyone sourced rims for a 105 live-axle wagon?
Appreciate any info; on how to decode rims, or whether the wheels for the 79 ute would be the same as the 105.
Jorlcrin
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel