GPS for NSW State Forests

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

GPS for NSW State Forests

Post by ToyotaBoy » 02 Jun 2014, 4:44 pm

Hey guys,

Need some help. as we all know the N.S.W government decided that they needed to change some of the regulations with regard to the game council. now to be able to hunt in their state forests you need to have a g.p.s. so you can download their maps. so to keep the peace i bought a g.p.s. but it wasn't compatible to download maps from the NSW game license web site.

Sooooo ladies and gentlemen what sort of g.p.s are you using that is compatible with what the N.S.W. D.P.I. and roughly how much did it cost you.

Where did the days go that all you needed was a gun and a dog to enjoy yourself :unsure:

Seriously it is doing my head in to find the proper GPS to use.

Cheers.
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: GPS

Post by Chronos » 02 Jun 2014, 4:54 pm

i bought a garmin 62s for around $300, you can also use pdf maps on your smart phone but as far as i'm aware if you're out of signal it doesn't comply

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by ToyotaBoy » 02 Jun 2014, 6:17 pm

thanks Chronos i will look into it
ToyotaBoy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brand » 03 Jun 2014, 11:47 am

G'day,

I'm using the Magellan eXplorist 610.

Already wrote a bit of feedback in the link there and a few of the others chipped in too :)

I haven't done it myself but the book said you can upload your own stuff?
brand
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 03 Jun 2014, 11:49 am

Seems you got the same recommendation in your thread on the other forum too :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 03 Jun 2014, 11:50 am

Chronos wrote:I bought a Garmin 62S for around $300, you can also use pdf maps on your smart phone but as far as I'm aware if you're out of signal it doesn't comply

I'm using the 62S as well.

Using factory maps as I'm in VIC, now NSW, but the unit itself is great IMO.

Very detailed, reliable, easy to use.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Re: GPS for NSW State Forests

Post by roob » 03 Jun 2014, 11:51 am

I got the 62S also on the recommendation of the guys here and it's great :)
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: GPS for NSW State Forests

Post by Shotfox » 03 Jun 2014, 11:58 am

I use the Garmin e trex 20 cost me $200 including delivery on ebay brand new. Seems to do the job well and has some handy added features, easy to use and easy to download maps from the DPI site. I also got the garmin topo maps for australia on e-bay for $30.00 rather than $125 from Garmin - all good. I reccomend lithium batteries in what ever you get and do not use recahrgables as the units tend to be a bit power hungry
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel