Cars after a fender bender

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Cars after a fender bender

Post by tuffstuff » 13 Aug 2014, 3:17 pm

I had my first fender bender today. s**t :(

I've never had to do a claim or had a care repaired before either so looking for some peace of mind hopefully.

I have VT commodore, rear ended someone going about 40. He did something unexpected but I could have been further back and ended up hitting him so my fault.

Smashed up the front bar, bent the bonnet and broke both the lights.

I hope it shouldn't be a big deal? Any reason this shouldn't be an easy repair for the smash repairer?

Thanks guys.
*feeling stupid*
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
Bushnell Banner 6-24x40mm Mil Dot
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Cars after a fender bender

Post by Mr.x » 13 Aug 2014, 3:34 pm

Post up some pics.

Can you open the bonnet ok? Taking it to any reputable panel shop recommended by your repairer and there shouldn't be any problems what so ever. Any dramas or questions you have with the car after it's been repaired take it straight back to the panel shop to rectify it, their repairs and paint will be covered by lifetime warranty too.

Cheers.
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 13 Aug 2014, 11:15 pm

Did a bonnet, headlight, guard, aerial and scuff on the door from a roo with the VZ Commondore. $3000.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by tuffstuff » 14 Aug 2014, 2:48 pm

Mr X,
The car is with the smash repairer at the moment so can't take a picture. On the day the bonnet wouldn't open straight away, but the guy got under there with a screwdriver and opened it in 10 seconds so there wasn't anything too serious in the way.

The repairer seems good, he had a few cars on the lot when I was there that were finished. They looked brand new. Some had new doors or bonnets and fronts like mine and they looked perfect. Good to know they give lifetime warranties on the stuff though.

on_one_wheel,
I've got full comp so not worried about the cost to much. Just paying the excess sucks :(

I was worried about long term problems after the repair not the cost, but it sounds like it's not a big deal after others I've spoken with too :)
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by jennageit » 14 Aug 2014, 5:30 pm

Hit a wombat in my husbands 2008 Mondeo, and if you looked at the front of the car, it looked like all i'd damaged was the grill that had a small crack in it. You could even open the bonnet. however, when it got dragged off to the repair shop, they found $11,800 worth of damage. the damned wombat had grabbed everything possible on the way through. ripped heat shielding off fuel line, punted radiator back about three inches etc etc.

Hopefully it's an easy fix for you mate, and not like what we had.

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.x » 14 Aug 2014, 8:41 pm

When you pick the car up have a good look at it, open the bonnet and have a look inside, check the bonnet to guard gaps also the gaps around the headlights and bar, they should be fairly even even from new cars gaps arnt perfect, if you have any questions don't be afraid to go back in and ask,.most panel shops are pretty good these days as there all governed by insurance companies. That being said tho there is still plenty of dodgy shops around willing to cut corners to make a profit.
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by 1sikxt » 15 Aug 2014, 8:57 am

Have they said that there definetly fixing it being a vt there market value isn't very high and if I recall correctly if damage is over 75% of market value they will wipe it off and pay u out
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Mr.x » 15 Aug 2014, 4:23 pm

Yes your right there a VT isn't worth much these days and does t take much to write one off, when you pick the car up they "should" give you some paperwork detailing the work involved, if it says that repaired certain parts have a look at the repairs, it will also says what they used new or secondhand or worse aftermarket.
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 15 Aug 2014, 8:24 pm

As of March last year, 85% of market value damage is considered a rightoff now. It was a close call for our Mondeo because we thought it'd be written off, but nope. it didnt' sustain enough damage.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tuffstuff » 16 Aug 2014, 9:23 pm

1sikxt wrote:Have they said that there definetly fixing it being a vt there market value isn't very high and if I recall correctly if damage is over 75% of market value they will wipe it off and pay u out

Should find out on Monday now.
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by jennageit » 18 Aug 2014, 6:16 pm

Sorry guys, I was wrong. It isn't 85% of the value for a rightoff, it's 80%.

Thought i'd better clear that up.

:)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by tuffstuff » 19 Aug 2014, 10:27 am

Thanks for the update Jenna.

Found out yesterday they're going ahead with the repair as it's apparently not a big deal. No write off this time.

Now just waiting 2 weeks for the work to be finished. :(
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by jennageit » 20 Aug 2014, 12:20 pm

Hey Tuffstuff,

Glad to hear it's not a writeoff, unless that's what you were hoping for.

I hope that it is ony a two week repair for you. Ours went from three weeks to eleven weeks :(

Jenna
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 21 Aug 2014, 10:56 am

jennageit wrote:I hope that it is ony a two week repair for you. Ours went from three weeks to eleven weeks :(

That's what I was worried about too - I had a FB a couple of weeks ago.

The smash repairer turned out to be great though, I got the car back 2 weeks later to the day and it looks brand new again (it's 2 years old).
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 21 Aug 2014, 1:29 pm

Our car wasn't the same again unfortunately, and we ended up selling it. word has it, not two months later the auto packed up and cost a fortune to replace. thankfully we got rid of it just in time!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 22 Aug 2014, 9:46 am

I was worried about that too with mine but it seems all good as far as I can tell from driving it for a week.

Fender bender like I said, new bonnet, front bar, 1 quarter panel, light... Nothing got through to the engine bay or anything structural though so all good. The airbags in mine go off at 40km an hour I'm told too and they didn't, so was going less than that at the time of impact.

Time will tell but no worries so far :)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel