Who's gone to LED spotlights for the 4x4?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Who's gone to LED spotlights for the 4x4?

Post by oowess » 24 Sep 2014, 1:48 pm

I'm a bit on my own out here when it comes to 4WDing and have to get a lot of my stuff online based on reviews.

My pair of spotlights on the 4x4 are getting long in the tooth these days and I have some pocket money put aside for some new ones.

Who's gone to the LED bars or spotlights?

They quote some numbers online which I'm a bit sceptical off. Would love some feedback from real people on them.

Thanks.
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Re: Who's gone to LED spotlights for the 4x4?

Post by Patrol66 » 25 Sep 2014, 6:25 pm

Haven't got any yet , but led is the way to go. Just make sure the mounting system is bullet proof and solder / water proof connections ;)
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Guliver » 25 Sep 2014, 8:35 pm

Your money would be far better spent on a pair of good HID lights. LED driving lights and bars really are in there infancy, you will pay far too much for quality LED lights, as with all new technology you don't want to be on the bleeding edge.

Not to say that good LED stuff isn't out there. Had a mate put about three grand into a LED bar twelve months ago, it has already been superseded by a better spec bar for less dollars.

Easy to get caught this way, I bought a new TV four weeks ago thinking I had waited long enough and the price had dropped $800 from the original RRP, Dick Smith sent me an email today looks like I jumped too soon, it's currently available for $700 less than I paid :cry:

HID is a well proven technology that comes standard on higher spec vehicles

:lol: :lol: The forum automatically censored D I C K :lol: :lol:
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Sep 2014, 9:25 pm

I have a cheapy ebay LED light bar on my Hilux. I have had it for about 1-2 years. Certainly gets the job done for me, I live in a hilly area so spotties aren't as useful around here. Ironically my cheap light bar doesn't interfere with my radio and the paint isn't peeling like my mate's Tigerz11 one that cost a fair bit more!
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 25 Sep 2014, 10:50 pm

I bought one off an app called Ali express which sells a lot of gear before it gets branded so it's a lot cheaper. Downside is you don't know the brand haha. Picked up a 72W bar for $65 and bought all the relays and cable myself for $20 and it works just fine.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by yoshie » 26 Sep 2014, 6:20 am

Patrol66 wrote:Haven't got any yet , but led is the way to go. Just make sure the mounting system is bullet proof and solder / water proof connections ;)

You're always going to get caught out with technology like that. Cars, computers, phones, they are always moving ahead. I feel you're better to get in and get what you want, otherwise you'll always go without.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tapper » 26 Sep 2014, 10:42 am

A mate of mine was most eager to show off his new LED bar when we last went out...

He had the shirts when he realised the only stretch of open space long enough to show it off was blocked by his tent where he set it up :lol:
tapper
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Ade » 26 Sep 2014, 3:42 pm

Google bright light auto parts. I bought a pair of 9 inch round LED lights from them for around 496 shipped. Their ebay stare is cheaper than their online store. Great lights. I would recommend them. Same qualities as ARB LED's but better price
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by oowess » 29 Sep 2014, 8:27 am

Guliver wrote:Your money would be far better spent on a pair of good HID lights. LED driving lights and bars really are in there infancy

I'm no expert on the lights and thought LED and 'normal' where the options.

No idea what HID is :lol:

I'll do some Google for it and come back.

And thanks all for the LED light feedback. Will look up some HID so I know and compare the two.
oowess
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 29 Sep 2014, 8:30 am

Not quite your question, but a few weeks ago I replaced half a dozen torches for the various trucks, shed, house, camping etc. from conventional to new 'LED Lenser' brand LED torches and they're great.

1/3 the size and weight, and 3x the range and brightness as the old ones.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel