UHF antenna placement and "ground"

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: UHF antenna placement and "ground"

Post by Hugh » 14 Nov 2017, 3:27 pm

Uhf is fairly short range but if you get enough height you will be surprized how far it will go,get a descent ant and set and you could punch out a long way,when I lived up in the hills[Dandenong ranges] I could most of the time talk to some stations in Devonport and Launceston,and in right weather conditions you could get something called ducting and it would come in from different parts of au.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by doc » 14 Nov 2017, 3:31 pm

SendIt wrote:I'll jump into the fire here too.

About mounting a UHF antenna in the middle of the roof...

Someone find me a picture of someone, anyone, who's actually done it.

I don't have photo's but I know of 2 people who have done it - drilled holes the works. It's uncommon but still done.

The OP said that he was "looking for advice on the best mounting position". Depending on how you translate 'best' but if you mean best gain then that is the most accurate statement.

When I see most people talk about UHF's and good reception I'm reminded of Jeremy Clarkson yellowing "POWER!!!!" whilst plowing ahead full steam getting little to no where. :lol: Power only helps with transmit.

Antenna gain is far better than power gain in most situations - as it works in both directions. Talk to HAM radio enthusiasts and they'll give you a 3hr conversation about it. 8-)

Obviously for most - 'best' will be a combination of antenna gain, practicality, amount of work involved, and aesthetics. For some - antenna gain trumps the others, but for most of us - our pride and 'looks' tend to come into a big play. "I'll never be caught dead with that looking like that" :lol:
doc
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

-

Post by Blackened » 14 Nov 2017, 8:56 pm

doc wrote:Talk to HAM radio enthusiasts and they'll give you a 3hr conversation about it.

Sounds riveting :sarcasm:
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Gamerancher » 15 Nov 2017, 9:16 am

Who wanted a picture of one mounted in the middle of a roof?
Mid-mount.jpg
Mid-mount.jpg (98.99 KiB) Viewed 2447 times
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel