LPG tank refilling and safety

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

LPG tank refilling and safety

Post by huccl » 15 Dec 2014, 6:06 pm

Just for my curiosity but hoping someone knows about this.

I've got a BBQ LPG tank which I get refilled at the local place. Other option is the swap-and-go joints where you just take one out of the pile and off you go.

Some of the ones at the places around me that do them, the tanks look like they've been used to crush rocks or something. They banged and have deep rends in them for corners and all sorts of abuse.

I've only ever seen them get filled up, never "tested" for integrity anywhere. Does that happen as part of filling?

I just look at my well cared for one, and some of these rock bashers on the swap-and-go shelf and think I don't want to put one of those in my BBQ.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: LPG tank refilling and safety

Post by Patrol66 » 17 Dec 2014, 7:03 pm

The swap and go around me are all good. The crappy old cylinders are on one shelf and the tested , full cylinders are on another shelf. The retailer doesn't fill them up as far as I know, I assume they get deliveries of full , tested bottles.

My local bloke would fill my bottle even if it was out of date as long as it was in good condition, but I got caught out when the owner was working and he couldn't fill my bottle. No probs, just paid the initial extra dollars and walked away with an in date and full bottle that looked like new.

You need to trust who fills your bottles as there are big problems if not done properly
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Dec 2014, 7:06 pm

The filling stations just fill them as far as I've seen, I've never seen them do any testing for safety (they wouldn't have the equipment/license etc to do it I wouldn't think). They generally check the date on them to see if they comply (I think its 5 or 7yrs) before they need testing.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Guliver » 18 Dec 2014, 12:17 pm

Never had a problem with swap and go, I always choose a cylinder that looks well cared for,

I've never had any objections from the service station people about being choosy.
Guliver
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 18 Dec 2014, 9:53 pm

The test requirement is every 10 yrs. I think they replace the main valve and do an internal inspection using a camera.If required paint too.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 18 Dec 2014, 10:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:The test requirement is every 10 yrs. I think they replace the main valve and do an internal inspection using a camera.If required paint too.

They also hydrostatically test them as part of the process, much the same as Scuba cylinders. I'm not overly fussy how the bottle looks so long as it cooks :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 21 Dec 2014, 7:21 am

I sort of share your concerns a little (sounding to be a little unfounded based on the above but there it is...)

Same price as swap'n'go but I keep my good condition bottles.

Only difference is waiting 5 minutes while they do it and I just wander around the BBQ store looking at man-stuff.

Not an inconvenience really.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Carter » 21 Dec 2014, 7:22 am

Oldbloke wrote:The test requirement is every 10 yrs.

Geez that seems like a long stretch?
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by huccl » 21 Dec 2014, 7:23 am

Patrol66 wrote:You need to trust who fills your bottles as there are big problems if not done properly

Just some gas company I've never heard of (but there is no reason I should have heard of them really so that doesn't mean much).

Hmm.
Browning A-Bolt M-1000 Eclipse 308 Win
CZ 453 Varmint 22LR
huccl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel