Cheapest capable 4WD

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Cheapest capable 4WD

Post by RealNick » 11 Feb 2015, 2:07 pm

G'day blokes,

Car talk time. Juggling ideas for getting a 4WD at the moment and replacing the daily driver with it isn't really appealing. Without the sale of the other car having a second is a bit of a luxury so I'm really focused on price.

After suggestions on a cheap, capable 4WD. Off-road ability is the priority. Doesn't have to look good, have any features, can be 10 years old, just needs to take me places for cheap.

How about it?
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Cheapest capable 4WD

Post by North East » 11 Feb 2015, 2:26 pm

I've owned quite a few 4WD over the years mainly GQ Patrol's, petrol and diesel. Now I own a Holden Colorado ute, turbo diesel, purchased new. There so many decision you need to make when purchasing a 4WD. I lifted my ute 2", chucked in a dual battery system, new tyres and the list goes on. I've probably spent $10,000 on parts for it now......how much do you want to spend?
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by yoshie » 11 Feb 2015, 4:14 pm

Suzuki sierra/jimny
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by KWhorenet » 11 Feb 2015, 4:31 pm

Daihatsu feroza or rocky if size isn't an issue. Rocky's come in diesel too. Very capable off road and spares are cheap.

Ive had a Feroza for 10 years and it takes a beating.

Forgot to mention cheap really at between $1500 - $3000 for a very good goer or maybe $4500 for a really good one with money already spent on it.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Warrigul » 11 Feb 2015, 8:48 pm

I have a mid eighties diesel hilux ute, does the job, costs bugger all to fix if needed and any man can work on it with heaps of parts and panels available. I have been many places modern 4WD's fear to tread.

I searched until I found one with front and rear LS diffs.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headwerkn » 11 Feb 2015, 9:09 pm

Get something small but with a ladder chassis and a proper low range transfer box - Suzuki Sierra, Jimny or Vitara, Daihatsu Feroza or Rocky. Can be had for a couple of grand, lots of aftermarket parts available, easy on fuel, maintenance and repairs and no less capable than a full size 4WD.

I personally went a Vitara LWB, as I wanted the extra space/wheelbase and tourability/commutability. Sierras seem to carry a bit of a premium in the marketplace; a bit more modifiable and capable offroad, but a lot less civilised onroad. It's only myself and the missus, so I take the rear seat out completely, fill it with camping gear, load two kayaks on the roof - handles it no worries. Drag around a tonne and a bit of firewood... trailer with motorbikes... have managed to squeeze the little Zook down some crazy tight tracks. They're good thing.

Given my time again and perhaps a bit more cash I'd try and find a turbo-diesel Rocky, just for longer legs and better towing, though good ones are worth a bit still.... currently contemplating dropping in a VW 1.6TD into the Vitara instead.

Cheers, Ben.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Feb 2015, 10:08 pm

Disco
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Warrigul » 12 Feb 2015, 8:00 am

on_one_wheel wrote:Disco

But everyone wants a fortune for them even when clapped out, it is like diesel landcruisers- way overpriced for what they are.

I reckon my next bus will be a petrol landcruiser, love the diesels but they are ridiculously priced on the secondhand market and for the amount of driving I will do the little extra a petrol(and the loss of the fuel rebate) will cost to run isn't an issue.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Westy » 12 Feb 2015, 8:10 am

Warrigul wrote:

But everyone wants a fortune for them even when clapped out, it is like diesel landcruisers- way overpriced for what they are.

I reckon my next bus will be a petrol landcruiser, love the diesels but they are ridiculously priced on the secondhand market and for the amount of driving I will do the little extra a petrol(and the loss of the fuel rebate) will cost to run isn't an issue.

I'm with you W , I had a 2007 TD Hilux worst Car I have ever owned !!!Full Stop!!!!! It was my 7th Hilux in a row and put me off them for 4 years, I know drive a thirst v6 (Pigs ass) 2012 Hilux and it hasn't missed a beat (Touch Wood) Pulls twice as hard as the TD and it's twice as smooth to drive... Glad Hilux still give you the option as many other makers of these type of Utes don't!!!!! :D :x :D
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 12 Feb 2015, 8:18 am

Westy wrote:
Warrigul wrote:

I'm with you W , I had a 2007 TD Hilux worst Car I have ever owned !!!Full Stop!!!!! It was my 7th Hilux in a row and put me off them for 4 years, I know drive a thirst v6 (Pigs ass) 2012 Hilux and it hasn't missed a beat (Touch Wood) Pulls twice as hard as the TD and it's twice as smooth to drive... Glad Hilux still give you the option as many other makers of these type of Utes don't!!!!! :D :x :D

My mechanic has always had new diesel hiluxes every four years(he is 60 odd years old so has had them pretty much from the start), after the last one he made the decision to try something else. When you look at the cost of servicing and the price to replace injectors(get ready to sell you left kidney if you need a new set) there just isn't a saving in comparison to petrol.

Me however, I am still basking in the glory of all that bulk hill climbing power my 1986 2.4 diesel has....................................................................

All that said and done I have been putting $2000 away in the sock drawer each year for the past ten odd years for something better and still haven't found anything that grabs me yet.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Ade » 12 Feb 2015, 9:10 am

95-98 Landrover disco in diesel. Best fuel economy goes anywhere straight outa the box so no need to modify. Enough room. Best 4x4xfar.
PS I'm a very one eyed landrover man.
But really. Do yourself a favour
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by vonfram88 » 12 Feb 2015, 9:42 am

A rebuilt (engine and transmission) hzj75 land cruiser ute or troopy on split rims and light truck radials. Even better if you can find a HJ75 with a freshened up 2H motor. They are more than 10 years old though.
He that hath no sword; let him sell his garment and buy one.
vonfram88
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by KWhorenet » 12 Feb 2015, 9:52 am

KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by headwerkn » 12 Feb 2015, 6:18 pm

LOL :lol:

Maybe the newer ones are better the first couple are a barrel of electrical issues now. Every friend/work colleague/casual acquaintance who's had one has regretted it.

There's a very good reason why they're so much cheaper than Toyotas on the secondhand market.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by deye243 » 12 Feb 2015, 11:43 pm

Warrigul wrote:
Westy wrote:
Warrigul wrote:

My mechanic has always had new diesel hiluxes every four years(he is 60 odd years old so has had them pretty much from the start), after the last one he made the decision to try something else. When you look at the cost of servicing and the price to replace injectors(get ready to sell you left kidney if you need a new set) there just isn't a saving in comparison to petrol.

Me however, I am still basking in the glory of all that bulk hill climbing power my 1986 2.4 diesel has....................................................................

All that said and done I have been putting $2000 away in the sock drawer each year for the past ten odd years for something better and still haven't found anything that grabs me yet.

me too 548000ks so far and still going strong :sarcasm: well going as good as ever anyway :lol: :lol:
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 13 Feb 2015, 6:27 pm

Warrigul wrote:I have a mid eighties diesel hilux ute, does the job, costs bugger all to fix if needed and any man can work on it with heaps of parts and panels available. I have been many places modern 4WD's fear to tread.

:thumbsup:

Old Hilux was going to be my vote.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 13 Feb 2015, 6:58 pm

VICHunter wrote:
Warrigul wrote:I have a mid eighties diesel hilux ute, does the job, costs bugger all to fix if needed and any man can work on it with heaps of parts and panels available. I have been many places modern 4WD's fear to tread.

:thumbsup:

Old Hilux was going to be my vote.

It costs me very little, is as tough as nails and gets me out the bush, through the snow and is a spotlighting rig twice a week(at least) as well.

Slow, noisy but it does the job.

Not very refined though.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by brett1868 » 13 Feb 2015, 9:15 pm

Any thoughts on the Holden Rodeo? 2004 RA LX 3.5 V6 4x4 manual dual cab with 212000km for around $7500...

Was about to drop 10k on an Atomik UTV http://www.atomik.com.au/utv/utv-agmax-600cc-4x4.html then started thinking that I'd need a towbar, then a trailer which is another 2k which makes for one very expensive little machine. Have been looking at the Rocky's and a mate suggested the Rodeo but I don't know much about them.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by headwerkn » 15 Feb 2015, 7:13 pm

We had a 2005 Rodeo 3.5V6 as a work ute.. had 130000km on the clock and was on either its second or third engine... had all sorts of problems apparently. Was reliable enough during my 18 months with the said company but it wasn't particularly comfortable, well made or fuel efficient.

On the other hand my neighbour has recently upgraded his much loved early 90s Rodeo dual cab for a new Colorado, and wishes he hadn't. The old girl was a good reliable farm vehicle... the Colorado has had constant issues with fuel leaking around the rail/injectors.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Odo » 15 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

What about a 2.4l Navara?
4 cyl economy, better on road than Hilux.
Single cabs and dual cabs available.
Or go the old 2 door Pathfinder.
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 16 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

A few of the suggestions I'm a little familiar with a few not at all.

I'll do some research on each so have some grasp of what I'm talking about and get back with questions if/when I find them for those in the know about a particular ride.

:D
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 16 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

My work ute is a 2005 diesel Rodeo dual cab 4x4 with 320k on the clock and no signs of dying yet. She is pretty steady from a standing start though.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 16 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

I vote old hilux. Good bush truck.
Petrol 80 series if you want bigger and comfier but thirsty.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 16 Feb 2015, 8:44 pm

Odo wrote:What about a 2.4l Navara?

RU on Bad JUJU Bro????
Not sure about his one ???
I've heard going Nissan is the going thing
but getting going is another thing???? :oops: :o :shock:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 17 Feb 2015, 8:32 am

Odo wrote:What about a 2.4l Navara?

I like the old navaras, had a few as work buses, can't kill them
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 17 Feb 2015, 9:37 pm

Mate I've spent a lot of time in a wide variety of 4wd's of all descriptions, having been a freelance journo for many years and on a selection panel for 4wd of the year. Hilux's are very good vehicles to be bought second hand, and the V6 is a great petrol motor if you don't want to go diesel. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the earlier Rodeo's and some of the Navara's had clutch problems. The Toyota's only vice is it often transfers gearbox oil from the transfer case into the gearbox but that's easy to keep an eye on. They are usually a bit dearer than most of the others but that's because they hold their value better. Personally I wouldn't touch a Disco, they may be cheap to buy but they are costly to maintain. Quality control was always a problem. If the vehicle you're looking for is in the 10 year bracket I'd be definately looking at a Hilux.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Feb 2015, 6:55 am

headspace wrote:Mate I've spent a lot of time in a wide variety of 4wd's of all descriptions, having been a freelance journo for many years and on a selection panel for 4wd of the year. Hilux's are very good vehicles to be bought second hand, and the V6 is a great petrol motor if you don't want to go diesel. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the earlier Rodeo's and some of the Navara's had clutch problems. The Toyota's only vice is it often transfers gearbox oil from the transfer case into the gearbox but that's easy to keep an eye on. They are usually a bit dearer than most of the others but that's because they hold their value better. Personally I wouldn't touch a Disco, they may be cheap to buy but they are costly to maintain. Quality control was always a problem. If the vehicle you're looking for is in the 10 year bracket I'd be definately looking at a Hilux.
JD

X 2 IMHO :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Getting there is one thing but remember it's a hell of a walk home!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Pom » 18 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

FuzzyM wrote:Petrol 80 series if you want bigger and comfier but thirsty.

With the suspension done they can cover some crazy ground.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by meek » 22 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

I'm thinking of getting a cheap bush basher too, what do you guys think of an early 90s Toyota 4Runner?

They go for about $5k.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by meek » 22 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

And one more question

Early 90s Land Cruisers are about the same. About 350,000 on the clock seems standard.

What do you guys think of buying one with that many kms on it? I dunno much about how long their engines would last.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel