Cheapest capable 4WD

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Cheapest capable 4WD

Post by headwerkn » 15 Feb 2015, 7:13 pm

We had a 2005 Rodeo 3.5V6 as a work ute.. had 130000km on the clock and was on either its second or third engine... had all sorts of problems apparently. Was reliable enough during my 18 months with the said company but it wasn't particularly comfortable, well made or fuel efficient.

On the other hand my neighbour has recently upgraded his much loved early 90s Rodeo dual cab for a new Colorado, and wishes he hadn't. The old girl was a good reliable farm vehicle... the Colorado has had constant issues with fuel leaking around the rail/injectors.
headwerkn
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Odo » 15 Feb 2015, 8:22 pm

What about a 2.4l Navara?
4 cyl economy, better on road than Hilux.
Single cabs and dual cabs available.
Or go the old 2 door Pathfinder.
Smith and Wesson. Norinco. Chinese Brno. Feinwerkbau. Gamo. Sportco. Slazenger. Drulov.
Odo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 16 Feb 2015, 3:22 pm

Thanks for all the replies guys.

A few of the suggestions I'm a little familiar with a few not at all.

I'll do some research on each so have some grasp of what I'm talking about and get back with questions if/when I find them for those in the know about a particular ride.

:D
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by chrispy88 » 16 Feb 2015, 7:28 pm

My work ute is a 2005 diesel Rodeo dual cab 4x4 with 320k on the clock and no signs of dying yet. She is pretty steady from a standing start though.
Tikka T3 Lite SS .308 / VXII 3-9x40
Howa HB SS .223 / Viper PST 4-16x50
Savage Mk II BTVS .22LR / VXI 3-9x40
Lithgow Model 1 .22LR
Miroku MK10 Sporter 12g
W. W. Greener Martini action 12g
chrispy88
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 16 Feb 2015, 7:50 pm

I vote old hilux. Good bush truck.
Petrol 80 series if you want bigger and comfier but thirsty.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 16 Feb 2015, 8:44 pm

Odo wrote:What about a 2.4l Navara?

RU on Bad JUJU Bro????
Not sure about his one ???
I've heard going Nissan is the going thing
but getting going is another thing???? :oops: :o :shock:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 17 Feb 2015, 8:32 am

Odo wrote:What about a 2.4l Navara?

I like the old navaras, had a few as work buses, can't kill them
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by headspace » 17 Feb 2015, 9:37 pm

Mate I've spent a lot of time in a wide variety of 4wd's of all descriptions, having been a freelance journo for many years and on a selection panel for 4wd of the year. Hilux's are very good vehicles to be bought second hand, and the V6 is a great petrol motor if you don't want to go diesel. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the earlier Rodeo's and some of the Navara's had clutch problems. The Toyota's only vice is it often transfers gearbox oil from the transfer case into the gearbox but that's easy to keep an eye on. They are usually a bit dearer than most of the others but that's because they hold their value better. Personally I wouldn't touch a Disco, they may be cheap to buy but they are costly to maintain. Quality control was always a problem. If the vehicle you're looking for is in the 10 year bracket I'd be definately looking at a Hilux.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 18 Feb 2015, 6:55 am

headspace wrote:Mate I've spent a lot of time in a wide variety of 4wd's of all descriptions, having been a freelance journo for many years and on a selection panel for 4wd of the year. Hilux's are very good vehicles to be bought second hand, and the V6 is a great petrol motor if you don't want to go diesel. Sorry but I'm not a fan of the earlier Rodeo's and some of the Navara's had clutch problems. The Toyota's only vice is it often transfers gearbox oil from the transfer case into the gearbox but that's easy to keep an eye on. They are usually a bit dearer than most of the others but that's because they hold their value better. Personally I wouldn't touch a Disco, they may be cheap to buy but they are costly to maintain. Quality control was always a problem. If the vehicle you're looking for is in the 10 year bracket I'd be definately looking at a Hilux.
JD

X 2 IMHO :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Getting there is one thing but remember it's a hell of a walk home!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Pom » 18 Feb 2015, 8:29 pm

FuzzyM wrote:Petrol 80 series if you want bigger and comfier but thirsty.

With the suspension done they can cover some crazy ground.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by meek » 22 Sep 2015, 10:37 am

I'm thinking of getting a cheap bush basher too, what do you guys think of an early 90s Toyota 4Runner?

They go for about $5k.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by meek » 22 Sep 2015, 10:40 am

And one more question

Early 90s Land Cruisers are about the same. About 350,000 on the clock seems standard.

What do you guys think of buying one with that many kms on it? I dunno much about how long their engines would last.
Remington 700
another Remington 700 :lol:
meek
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 28 Sep 2015, 9:40 pm

meek wrote:And one more question

Early 90s Land Cruisers are about the same. About 350,000 on the clock seems standard.

What do you guys think of buying one with that many kms on it? I dunno much about how long their engines would last.

Engines are probably ok, but deals wear out, suspension components tend to be flogged out and other small items succumb to wear and tear.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 28 Sep 2015, 10:20 pm

Depends heaps on the last owners, lack of maintenance can take its toll.
I looked at a 1995 250 000k cruiser when I was looking that looked great , had all the bells and whistles but The brake fluid was black and the master clynder was bleeding down,the coolant was just rust and water, the rear diff had bucket loads of play and the electric windows wend down and wouldn’t come up again.
But with good servicing the 80 series engines are known to be good for 1000 000 k with a injector pump rebuild along the way.
The diffs and box should go 500 000 if they are treated gently but will fail easily if thrashed.
It's hard to find a good one with high kays but if you test drive plenty you will eventually find one.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by valkyrie » 28 Sep 2015, 10:28 pm

ive seen early 90s cruisers with over 800,000 ks on them that still drive new, and some that are f***ed after only 100000. no matter what you get take it for a test drive and see if your happy with it. but a 90s lux would be my pick. simple reliable and cheap to fix or maintain
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 29 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm

meek wrote:I'm thinking of getting a cheap bush basher too, what do you guys think of an early 90s Toyota 4Runner?

Short wheel base patrol would be a good option too if you want something that size.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by chacka » 05 Oct 2015, 9:40 am

valkyrie wrote:but a 90s lux would be my pick. simple reliable and cheap to fix or maintain

Seen the Top Hear episode where they thrash the Hilux? Including parking it on a building being demolished and getting it to start after it's imploded and fallen :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Spitpolisher » 06 Oct 2015, 8:18 pm

I have had quite a few fourbys .. I even had a Lada Niva .. I loved my Daihatsu Rocky - 2.8lt Isuzu motor with a puffer - it went like a scolded cat.. but my Hilux petrol is a fav ... so cheap to repair coz so many people have em and everyone has tricks to make go better .. I vote for a 10 year old Hilux
Spitpolisher
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by veep » 12 Oct 2015, 9:05 am

A bit more expensive but not crazy for the older ones (and good value then anyway IMO) but I've had a couple of tours in a Prado the last 2 weeks and rate it.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel