Suspension life help/info (Subaru Forester)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Suspension life help/info (Subaru Forester)

Post by chacka » 25 Mar 2015, 3:12 pm

It's not a done deal yet but I'm leaning towards swapping the current daily drive (road car only) for a 4WD.

I've got a soft spot for the Forester and am reasonably set on a 2010/2011 2.5L Turbo at this point.

The criteria for choosing the car is I want a nice daily driver of modest size which is also a capable 4WD for mild - moderate terrain. Doesn't have to be an extreme off-roader. Not interested in the 2013+ models and they're only available in automatic and/or displacemnent and power output has dropped to be replaced with an extra gear to quasi makie it up.

The 2010/2012 XT seems to fit the bill about right.

One thing I expect will need doing though is a suspension lift, an area I'm no expert in.

Just getting my ducks in a row at the moment and am after general information to research. What's good, what's not, things to avoid or look out for. Recommended suspension part brand?

Any advice appreciated.
Last edited by chacka on 03 Aug 2015, 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Suspension life help/info (Subaru Forester)

Post by Die Judicii » 25 Mar 2015, 3:19 pm

While your doing your research, it probably wouldn't hurt to do some on the cost of spare parts.
I've been told in the past that sometimes it gets pretty scary.
:| :|
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by North East » 25 Mar 2015, 3:47 pm

If you are serious about a 4X4 a Subaru doesn't cut it. You will need new tyres a mega suspension lift, new shockers and all the rest that go with it. I've got a Colorado and spent a small fortune doing up the suspension on that. Have you considered a dedicated 4WD....Hi Lux, Colorado, Nissan Patrol or whatever?
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by North East » 25 Mar 2015, 3:52 pm

.....you might have to change the gear box as well for something that has HIGH and LOW range.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 25 Mar 2015, 3:59 pm

Well a Subaru Forester isn't a 4wd, it's an awd. You will not have the low range gearbox that is required for some more serious terrain or wet conditions. Not certain, but if it's a turbo model it may come with a rear lsd which is what you want as a minimum, and for you use a front lsd isn't necessary but would be nice.

The engines are okay, I have an Impreza with the 2.5. As it's a boxer it's much more difficult to service than an inline engine. You need to keep in mind the very expensive parts that Subaru's have, as they can be quite complicated, center, front and rear diffs etc. These parts aren't as expensive as some European makes but as as Japanese vehicles go they can get quite pricey.

As for getting them raised, I would not bother. They aren't designed as a true 4wd and should be treated as such, the stock suspension seems dangerously high if you have ever driven one, but with the last few year models they may have lowered them a bit. A better option would be getting some proper offroad tyres like BF Goodrich all terrains, fantastic off road and quiet on road.

All in all they fantastic cars, but don't expect a strong 4wd that can take some hits to the chassis and drivetrain.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Mar 2015, 4:32 pm

The older foresters had low range, but the newer ones do not.
Without low range it is not considered a 4WD, therefore you basically can't lift it or fit bigger tyres by law.

If you want a 4WD wagon that is nice on road but still can handle the rough stuff, the Pajero is pretty good.
Independent front and rear suspension and monocoque construction help it handle better on the road.

My Mrs recently got an 04 AWD Rav4, not for 4wding, but for a little added traction and control driving into some of the tamer campsites we go to.

If that is all you really need then a forester is fine, but don't expect to be going up to any real 4WD tracks.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by chacka » 25 Mar 2015, 7:24 pm

North East wrote:.....you might have to change the gear box as well for something that has HIGH and LOW range.

Hmm, I've just found something I missed in my earlier research.

The 5 speed manual N/A models come with high/low range gearboxes.

The Turbo models don't though.

Crap. That puts a spanner in the works.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by chacka » 25 Mar 2015, 7:25 pm

FuzzyM wrote:The older foresters had low range, but the newer ones do not.

In the hope of saving me from Googling every single model, do you know what year they stopped?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 25 Mar 2015, 7:46 pm

all wheel drives are more for handling, as in having power at all corners in the slippery than off roading. If you want to go off road, and get home then consider something with sufficient articulation, as in up and down movement in the suspension (not just a lift kit) and mud tyres.

Want to park on the grass when you go to the footy? Get a Scoobydoo

Want to go off-road or dirty/muddy road;

Have kids? get a dual cab hilux with muddies
Small kids or even occasional adult? Extracab with muddies, rifles in the tray or behind the seats
No kids? single cab- lot of ute room
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Mar 2015, 8:26 pm

chacka wrote:
FuzzyM wrote:The older foresters had low range, but the newer ones do not.

In the hope of saving me from Googling every single model, do you know what year they stopped?

I'm sorry but I don't.
To be honest I was only talking from a vague memory of reading about it in a 4WD Australia magazine a couple of years ago.
It was only the manuals that had it in the later models.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 25 Mar 2015, 8:56 pm

My mate has the Turbo Diesel model (around the year you're looking at) he did some chip work to it and that thing goes like a scalded cat and handles beautifully, its a well appointed car and lovely to travel around in, I'd have one for a every day car in a heartbeat, great on fuel too, not sure I'd buy it for its 4wding ability though (haven't seen his in action in that department other than a few fire trails that we easy grade) - but one lovely car to drive.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 25 Mar 2015, 9:14 pm

A slightly older X trail may be worth considering rather than a Subaru, we will head down this path shortly. None of them are proper 4wd's but the X trail is SLIGHTLY better equipped from standard. The neighbour at the shack has a standard Subaru and it suffers clearance problems badly.

Whatever you get buy chains for all four wheels, a cheap investment and are the best bang for buck you can get.

BUT you can't beat clearance, low range and LSD's at each end.

Life is full of compromises.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 25 Mar 2015, 9:19 pm

Just remember is a long walk home if you push a vehicle beyond it's abilities. :thumbsup:

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 26 Mar 2015, 1:40 pm

FuzzyM wrote:I'm sorry but I don't.
To be honest I was only talking from a vague memory of reading about it in a 4WD Australia magazine a couple of years ago.
It was only the manuals that had it in the later models.

Thanks anyway Fuzzy.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lyam » 26 Mar 2015, 1:42 pm

I used to rate the Foresters pretty highly as an all rounder.

They're turning more and more into soccer mum SUV's in the last few years though.

Getting fat and slow and all the offroading features are draining out.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel