Portable speed cameras at night?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Portable speed cameras at night?

Post by south » 02 Jun 2015, 10:46 am

Random question here... Does anyone know if the cops in their cars can run speed traps at night?

Not talking about the fixed ones obviously, just portable.

It occurred to me the other day I don't think I've ever seen one?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Re: Portable speed cameras at night?

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Jun 2015, 1:50 pm

Good question mate, I vaguely recall seeing them at night but not 100% sure to be honest, I'd imagine they can be used day or night.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Franky » 02 Jun 2015, 7:57 pm

They work on microwaves so the light or lack of it wouldn't effect them in anyway IMHO
A wise man told me once, "Just because you can, doesn't mean you should."
Franky
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by joker » 02 Jun 2015, 9:41 pm

I think they would need a flash at least. Hopefully your safe lol
joker
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 02 Jun 2015, 10:25 pm

Seems night use is dependant on the equipment being used. Both the Gatso & Multinova units can use a iR flash to capture images. Think QLD & VIC use Gatso cameras but I don't know what's used in NSW. There are some very good articles online from the various Police departments outlining the guidelines to be followed when using these types of cameras. Makes for interesting reading if you're wanting to fight one in court as the guidelines are quite restrictive. Best option is not to speed in the first place and if you do and get caught then that's the price you pay, no point whingeing about it.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Rocker » 04 Jun 2015, 10:39 am

I can't remember seeing one in the black of night but I've been pulled over after sunset when light was low.

Got me from about 100m at the time.
Sako A7 30-06
Marlin 1895 Guide Gun 45-70
Rocker
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by south » 04 Jun 2015, 2:47 pm

brett1868 wrote:Best option is not to speed in the first place and if you do and get caught then that's the price you pay, no point whingeing about it.

Nah I'm not whining about anything, just curious after the other day, I thought I might have been borderline on passing a sign lowering the limit and saw a unit down the road. 99% sure I was right though.

I've had my share of tickets, did the wrong thing so can't complaint :unknown:
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 04 Jun 2015, 8:12 pm

Forget the speed cameras, it's cops on bikes you have to be careful of. Was sitting in traffic tonight on the way home from work waiting for the lights to change some 50m ahead. I generally keep an eye on the door mirror for motorcyclists "Filtering" so I can move over and give them more space if possible when I spotted a Police bike filtering through slowly. He was looking left to right at drivers as he moved forward, a dozen or so cars in front of me he stopped, knocked on the drivers window and advised them to turn left and pull over in a safe spot. I went past a few mins later and he was writing a ticket for the young green P plater for what I assume was for mobile phone use. Told my mate about it tonight and apparently it's the new thing for bike cops to catch drivers using mobile phones.
Top effort on the part of the cops and I hope they nail as many as possible cause the number of near misses my wife and I have had due to idiots too busy on the phone to pay attention to the road is beyond a joke.
I fully support random breath testing and this approach to phone use while driving. I had a brother, he was killed by a drunk driver in 2000 who was driving whilst disqualified for drink driving. The driver got 3 years gaol, my father and I lost a son and a brother.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by teedo » 05 Jun 2015, 11:18 am

brett1868 wrote:The driver got 3 years gaol

That's some serious bulls**t :thumbsdown:

:(
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by pomemax » 06 Jun 2015, 10:00 pm

Hello to all my first post on the forum And yes you see a lot of portable speed cammeras on the roads at night in Sydney and mobile speed vans Ifyou were inclined to speed you need an app for your mobile called camsam have a look worth the effort
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 09 Jun 2015, 2:27 pm

Looks like a good app (Assuming the Australian data is detailed enough).
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Berper » 07 Jul 2015, 9:40 am

Never got one but I've seen them on the die of the road with what look to be cameras/speed traps at near dark.
Berper
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel