Compare these petrol and diesel engines (Subaru Forester)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Compare these petrol and diesel engines (Subaru Forester

Post by bigfellascott » 27 Aug 2015, 9:10 pm

You get those Diesels tuned right and they can deadset pull like a V8 - bloody amazing performance from a 2lt size diesel motor.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Sender » 31 Aug 2015, 2:00 pm

Amazing what a little boost can do :D
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Aug 2015, 3:53 pm

Sender wrote:Amazing what a little boost can do :D

Yeah I don't know what they did to my mates subbie, my BT didn't really have the boost altered much at all if at all, it was more altering of the parameters of when the boost happened and also changed the torque settings on the auto so the torque cut in earlier type thing, all I can say its a big improvement on how it was to what it is now and no real increase in fuel consumption either which is great.

ECU tune and 3" TBE really made it come alive instead of that asthmatic example it was (smashed a V8 Landcruiser going up a mountain the other day, he was trying but had nothing on the BT :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by sbd3927 » 31 Aug 2015, 9:46 pm

bigfellascott wrote:My mate's got the diesel version and he's had it chipped from memory and man that thing pulls like a V8 on Steroids!

Did that cure the shocking lag from hitting the accelerator to actually moving?

I looked at them in 2007 and decided the lag made them too dangerous to drive. I checked both 4 & 6 cylinder, it was part of their drive by wire nonsense. It was reminiscent of a 1.2litre corolla I had in the late 80's, making the car gutless and unresponsive, just what you don't need when a semi comes around the corner after you already started pulling out of a side street.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Sep 2015, 7:26 am

sbd3927 wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:My mate's got the diesel version and he's had it chipped from memory and man that thing pulls like a V8 on Steroids!

Did that cure the shocking lag from hitting the accelerator to actually moving?

I looked at them in 2007 and decided the lag made them too dangerous to drive. I checked both 4 & 6 cylinder, it was part of their drive by wire nonsense. It was reminiscent of a 1.2litre corolla I had in the late 80's, making the car gutless and unresponsive, just what you don't need when a semi comes around the corner after you already started pulling out of a side street.

Nope she's still got serious lag issues :thumbsup: I reckon if he had the ECU tuned it could be removed or improved. Other than that lag issue its a beautiful car to drive, they go seriously hard when tuned and bigger exhaust to let em breath.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by ebr love » 01 Sep 2015, 9:14 am

Hmmm... I had a 2009 I think it was forester as a loan car and the throttle response was pretty good.

Wonder if you guys got issues or if I got the lucky one?
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

Hard to say mate, all I know is if you stomped on the accelerator it would take a few seconds to really respond, but when it did man did it come on hard and strong (V8 like performance).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by headspace » 01 Sep 2015, 7:51 pm

Unless you're willing to spend the extra on putting a chip in the diesel, I'd go for the petrol motor and leave it standard. Diesels are great, I have one in my Pajero, but you have to be careful with service costs. They can get a bit steep. I'm not sure who makes the diesel engine in the Subaru though, as far as I know they have never been involved in diesels.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by sbd3927 » 01 Sep 2015, 8:03 pm

It was a deal breaker for me, bought the missus a 6cyl Mitsubishi Outlander instead.
My opinion is a delay in acceleration is nearly as bad as a delay in braking, when the unexpected happens you want it to work instantly.
Seemed to be plenty of grunt in the 6cyl subaru I test drove as mentioned above, but without an actual throttle cable.. bleh. There were different modes in various models from memory, maybe one of the full sports tunings would have behaved better.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 08 Sep 2015, 1:39 pm

headspace wrote:I'm not sure who makes the diesel engine in the Subaru though, as far as I know they have never been involved in diesels.

I thought they made their own, but they're a recent foray for them. I think it was about 2008 they added diesel engine options to a few of their line-ups?

In general Subaru seem to make a pretty good engine, and the diesel should be no different. A few years to see how they last over the long haul will tell.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel