Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Post by wayward » 14 Sep 2015, 10:11 am

I must be missing something here :unknown:

In the turbo-diesel Forester topic chacka had the specs 108kw and 350nm torque out of it's 4 cyl 2.0l turbo diesel.

I've been looking at the 8 cyl 4.5l turbo diesel land cruiser 70 series and output for them is 151kw and 430nm torque.

Double the cylinders and more than double the litres, but only has 40% more power and about 20% more torque?

Seems low?
wayward
Private
Private

Western Australia

Re: Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Post by AusTac » 14 Sep 2015, 10:21 am

New technology,tighter tolerances and better systems.You'd be surprised what 4 bangers can put out these days
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Lorgar » 14 Sep 2015, 10:54 am

They are getting more grunt out of less engine as technology improves, that's true.

Where the power is delivered is key in the Land Cruiser though, Wayward.

The Forester produces 350nm of torque between 1,800 and 2,400 rpm.

The Land Cruiser produces 430nm at between 1,200 and 3,200 rpm.

Full torque almost immediately in the Land Cruiser where the Forester needs to get moving a little more before full power comes on.

The towing capacity really says it all. Subaru say the braked towing capacity of the Forester is 1,800kg (sound a bit high to be I've gotta say.) Toyota say 3,500kg braked towing for the Land Cruiser.

The Land Cruiser has a dual range gearbox too which puts it into a whole other league.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 14 Sep 2015, 11:36 am

Then have a look at something a little different.

The 5 Cylinder Mazda BT-50. 140kW @ 3,000rpm & 470Nm @ 1750-2500 rpm.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Sam45 » 14 Sep 2015, 7:05 pm

Apollo wrote:Then have a look at something a little different.

The 5 Cylinder Mazda BT-50. 140kW @ 3,000rpm & 470Nm @ 1750-2500 rpm.

Nissan Navara NP 300 140kW/450Nm 2.3 litre twin-turbo diesel @ 1500-2700 rpm :thumbsup:

Very similar figures and also 3500KG towing capacity.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 14 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm

The landcruiser engine is undertuned on purpose.

They are intended to tractor on for hundreds of thousands of kilometres.

Oh and put an exhaust on them and they sound like a roaring beast.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 14 Sep 2015, 8:08 pm

I'm old school when it comes to fourbies. I'd rather a manual anything tractor that will get me anywhere and can be fixed with a spanner, pair of pliers and a hammer than these overgrown and confused sportscars you see these days.

Now, I'm not knocking the new fourbies (except the discos, although, in all fairness the discos are the easiest vehicles to improve, just go around and tighten up all the nuts and bolts) but when it comes to fourbies i like simple. Simple does the job and gets you there and back.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Apollo » 14 Sep 2015, 8:30 pm

Sam45 wrote:Nissan Navara NP 300 140kW/450Nm 2.3 litre twin-turbo diesel @ 1500-2700 rpm :thumbsup:

Very similar figures and also 3500KG towing capacity.

2.3 Litre....!!!! Now that must be running some boost. It just makes me wonder what some of these Turbo Diesels could do.

BTW... The Landcruiser 200 V8 Diesel Twin Turbo, 4.5 Litre has a quoted power of 195kW @ 3,400 rpm and Torque of 650 Nm @ 1600-3600 rpm.

I'm happy with my old 2009 model 3.0 Litre Mazda BT-50 (Freestyle Tray Top). It carries 1,000Kg of goods on the tray and you wouldn't really know it was there. Rides like a car and does everything I want it to do as a work vehicle around a farm on a daily basis. The new ones I don't like the looks of, purely look like a girls car but the Ford Ranger wins that race in the way of looks. Why oh why do these companies make a work vehicle, 4WD that is look like a girl.

Toyota when I priced them just were way too expensive for what they are these days.

Weekend warriors in cities that use a 4WD for a shopping cart are no test or reason to justify what a 4WD should be or do. Put them to the test and run them off-road 7 days a week under all conditions and see.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 14 Sep 2015, 11:45 pm

Lots of power from a small engine generally means that it is working very hard therefore it won't last nearly as long as a lumbering giant.

The biggest problem with the Toyota V8 is its oil consumption. But they sure have some grunt right off idle and sound sweet.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Arth » 15 Sep 2015, 3:05 pm

You could look at something like the Jeep Wrangler which is about smack bang in the middle of the Forester and Land Cruisers.

4 cylinder 2.8L turbo diesel, 147kw and 460nm torque.

It's not squeezing a small engine hard like the forester and isn't all going to waste on the daily drive like the Land Cruisers.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigtone » 17 Sep 2015, 8:37 pm

Arth wrote:You could look at something like the Jeep Wrangler which is about smack bang in the middle of the Forester and Land Cruisers.

Damn Dude you cant recommend that! I understand the jeep thing and thats why I drive a Toyota!

If you cant afford the Toyota then keep saving for a bit longer.
The rated specs are all BS anyway. Hook your forester or jeep or BT to the back of my V8 Troopy and have a pulling comp. You might crap yourself at how fast you will be going backwards or how fast something breaks in your car. The Landcruiser is legendary for a reason. Those cruisers can do LOTS of miles with just a little regular maintenance. They are not pretty or fancy with millions of tech gadgets but damn they are tuff.
It's not banned in Queensland but you just can't have one!
bigtone
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 17 Sep 2015, 10:29 pm

Worth noting is that Toyota's can tow their maximum tow weight and carry their maximum payload too.
Read this and stick it in your Rangers and Navaras.
https://practicalmotoring.com.au/car-ad ... ow-rating/

How many 4WDers and Tradies drive around in an empty 4WD?
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by headspace » 18 Sep 2015, 11:49 am

There's no doubting the Landcruiser V8 diesel is a great power option, but as V8's go it's a relatively small block motor. The big advantage of that motor is longevity and low down torque, however it's still a new technology engine and some of the supposedly serviceable parts are hard to get to. The other thing is that the injectors need to be replaced at 150,000km for a vehicle that is designed for the long haul I consider that an expensive fix. Eight injectors at about $800 each is not cheap.
My 2005 Pajero has done close to 330,000km and is still going well with regular service and still on the original injectors. Todays injectors are not serviceable and are very expensive to replace. My next 4wd will probably a Ranger cab chassis.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 23 Sep 2015, 9:45 am

headspace wrote:The other thing is that the injectors need to be replaced at 150,000km for a vehicle that is designed for the long haul I consider that an expensive fix. Eight injectors at about $800 each is not cheap.

$800 a piece, bloody hell :shock:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 24 Sep 2015, 12:54 pm

One advantage to my petrol. $300 for a set of 4 reco injectors.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 24 Sep 2015, 7:47 pm

headspace wrote:There's no doubting the Landcruiser V8 diesel is a great power option, but as V8's go it's a relatively small block motor. The big advantage of that motor is longevity and low down torque, however it's still a new technology engine and some of the supposedly serviceable parts are hard to get to. The other thing is that the injectors need to be replaced at 150,000km for a vehicle that is designed for the long haul I consider that an expensive fix. Eight injectors at about $800 each is not cheap.
My 2005 Pajero has done close to 330,000km and is still going well with regular service and still on the original injectors. Todays injectors are not serviceable and are very expensive to replace. My next 4wd will probably a Ranger cab chassis.
JD

You've almost spelt out the reasons I bought a Nissan GU 4.2 diesel
Full size 4X4
Readily available parts
NO computer
Mechanical in-direct injection ( lasts for donkeys years )
All parts are half the price or less than Toyota parts
Good power output
Easy to work on
Toughest running gear going.

Old school technology at it's best.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Carter » 25 Sep 2015, 12:04 pm

The land cruiser is tuned down for longevity as covered already. You can get them chipped/tuned for 50% - 60% more torque if you wanted.
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 25 Sep 2015, 1:02 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
headspace wrote:There's no doubting the Landcruiser V8 diesel is a great power option, but as V8's go it's a relatively small block motor. The big advantage of that motor is longevity and low down torque, however it's still a new technology engine and some of the supposedly serviceable parts are hard to get to. The other thing is that the injectors need to be replaced at 150,000km for a vehicle that is designed for the long haul I consider that an expensive fix. Eight injectors at about $800 each is not cheap.
JD

Full size 4X4
Readily available parts
NO computer
Good power output
Easy to work on

Damn expensive to buy though! Cost more than a 4.2td 70 series. IMHO the 1HDFTE is a better engine than the Td42T, more power, more torque, better economy. Can be chipped and intercooled for even more poke. Granted the diffs are a bit tougher in the patrol, but a front diff lock fixes the biggest issue with the cruiser.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
JD

Full size 4X4
Readily available parts
NO computer
Good power output
Easy to work on

Damn expensive to buy though! Cost more than a 4.2td 70 series. IMHO the 1HDFTE is a better engine than the Td42T, more power, more torque, better economy. Can be chipped and intercooled for even more poke. Granted the diffs are a bit tougher in the patrol, but a front diff lock fixes the biggest issue with the cruiser.

The Toyota's diffs are inherently weak for many reasons. And the gearbox looks like it belongs in a mini when you compare it to the Nissan gearbox.

I had a hard time choosing between the Landcruiser and Patrol.
Your right about the Toyota engine , the direct injection gives them the edge and the bottom end is good for more boost in standard form than the td42. I'm probably thinking about a different Toyota engine than the one your referring to ... the ones I like don't have computers to chip.

The Toyota's body is known to be tougher as well and offer a drop down tailgate which is what I prefer.

At the end of the day It just so happened that the first best deal I could find was a Nissan and I was struggling to find a late 80 series with low kms.
Still got a soft spot forthe 80's but I'm stoked with the GU. It's just what I want , a basic tractor that can be worked on easily with nothing but a few spanners.
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by SendIt » 29 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The Toyota's body is known to be tougher as well and offer a drop down tailgate which is what I prefer.

Agree about the tailgate.

It's like opening a barn door on some full-size 4WD when they're a sideways job.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel