Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Post by on_one_wheel » 25 Sep 2015, 10:21 pm

FuzzyM wrote:
on_one_wheel wrote:
headspace wrote:There's no doubting the Landcruiser V8 diesel is a great power option, but as V8's go it's a relatively small block motor. The big advantage of that motor is longevity and low down torque, however it's still a new technology engine and some of the supposedly serviceable parts are hard to get to. The other thing is that the injectors need to be replaced at 150,000km for a vehicle that is designed for the long haul I consider that an expensive fix. Eight injectors at about $800 each is not cheap.
My 2005 Pajero has done close to 330,000km and is still going well with regular service and still on the original injectors. Todays injectors are not serviceable and are very expensive to replace. My next 4wd will probably a Ranger cab chassis.
JD

You've almost spelt out the reasons I bought a Nissan GU 4.2 diesel
Full size 4X4
Readily available parts
NO computer
Mechanical in-direct injection ( lasts for donkeys years )
All parts are half the price or less than Toyota parts
Good power output
Easy to work on
Toughest running gear going.

Old school technology at it's best.

Damn expensive to buy though! Cost more than a 4.2td 70 series. IMHO the 1HDFTE is a better engine than the Td42T, more power, more torque, better economy. Can be chipped and intercooled for even more poke. Granted the diffs are a bit tougher in the patrol, but a front diff lock fixes the biggest issue with the cruiser.

The Toyota's diffs are inherently weak for many reasons. And the gearbox looks like it belongs in a mini when you compare it to the Nissan gearbox.

I had a hard time choosing between the Landcruiser and Patrol.
Your right about the Toyota engine , the direct injection gives them the edge and the bottom end is good for more boost in standard form than the td42. I'm probably thinking about a different Toyota engine than the one your referring to ... the ones I like don't have computers to chip.

The Toyota's body is known to be tougher as well and offer a drop down tailgate which is what I prefer.

At the end of the day It just so happened that the first best deal I could find was a Nissan and I was struggling to find a late 80 series with low kms.
Still got a soft spot forthe 80's but I'm stoked with the GU. It's just what I want , a basic tractor that can be worked on easily with nothing but a few spanners.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Landcruiser V8 power seems low?

Post by SendIt » 29 Sep 2015, 12:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:The Toyota's body is known to be tougher as well and offer a drop down tailgate which is what I prefer.

Agree about the tailgate.

It's like opening a barn door on some full-size 4WD when they're a sideways job.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel