How much protection does a nudge bar give a 4WD?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: How much protection does a nudge bar give a 4WD?

Post by Browning » 26 Sep 2017, 6:09 pm

YoungBuck wrote:
Browning wrote:If it's for a light bar, get roof racks and put your light bar up there. You can fit a bigger one AND it's now up higher away from roos, stone chips and idiots in the car park.

I'd imagine the light reflection off the bonnet would be a bit of a b*tch...

Not at all..... I had to get a different aerial for the uhf and place it in a different spot but there's little to no reflection at all.....
Way better spot for me and if it was on the front I would of had to replace it twice already because of Roos
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Sep 2017, 6:33 pm

Slightly off topic, but light bars etc have been mentioned. The main mistake people seem determined to make, regardless of logic, is installing super bright auxiliary lights without the slightest thought about what happens when, with the lights of an oncoming vehicle glaring off the dust and bug guts on their windscreen, they switch off all those expensive new lumens and are back to their sub-standard low beam. In a lot of cases, upgrading your headlights with a quality LED conversion will be a better option.
I have two Cibie Super Oscars and two Lightforce XGTs both converted to HID which give me 1 lux at 1500m, and if I hadn't put the OPT7 LED conversion in my headlights, going from high to low would be akin to closing my eyes.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Sep 2017, 7:53 pm

Ol mate nudged a roo this morning with his ARB steel bullbar, wasn't good enough to prevent damage to the panels. :thumbsdown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 17 Oct 2017, 6:11 am

Have ARB Deluxe bar on my 2010 hilux hit a couple roos at over 100k and never any frontal damage. the point of a bar is to be able to get home and not be stranded. I always order a bar before i take delivery of a car. Fortuner also has an ARB Summit bar but hasnt been in an animal strike yet but its ready incase. Also good reason for having a full bar is i dont want my wife stuck out of phone range with 2 toddlers and a baby with a busted car.
Attachments
FB47B3E1-1B13-46E4-90CF-C159FFAECA88.png
FB47B3E1-1B13-46E4-90CF-C159FFAECA88.png (1.11 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
5A23A44C-7CC3-4F7F-B260-3B8A62FF02F9.jpeg
5A23A44C-7CC3-4F7F-B260-3B8A62FF02F9.jpeg (1.73 MiB) Viewed 3006 times
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 30 Oct 2017, 4:13 pm

@SAM45. Love the Nissan photos! 8-)
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel