How much protection does a nudge bar give a 4WD?

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

How much protection does a nudge bar give a 4WD?

Post by chacka » 07 Dec 2015, 3:05 pm

Gents,

Doing my research on potential nudge bar installation for a Forester.

My observations and assumptions on the bars are this.

I see the bars on serious 4WD that have fully replaced the front bumper and sometimes also have the side slider rails connected to the front bullbar. Obviously with the bigger bar and connecting to side rails there are a lot of mount points to re-enforce the bar in the event you hit something (or some idiot backs into you).

The nudge bars on the other hand are only mounted on two points located at the bottom/front of the chassis. If something pushed on the bar from the middle or especially if a taller something backed into you it would have a fair amount of leverage on the nudge bar(?).

How strong are the mounts for said bars usually?

Would they stay straight in a fender bender at 40km or bend back?

Same for getting reversed into by something?

Do they offer any real protection or are they just for guys who think a bar of some kind looks cool?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: How much protection does a nudge bar give a 4WD?

Post by 83neil » 07 Dec 2015, 3:09 pm

I would think 40 kph is way to much impact
83neil
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by adam » 07 Dec 2015, 3:14 pm

Agreed. They're not so much for hitting other cars as protection for larger animals. (Think Kangaroos). Even then, they can do some damage to the bar - but that's better than damage tot he chassis. They'll get you out of trouble for parking lot incidents if someone backs into you - but not in actual flowing traffic.

However the main way to hit someone in traffic with your front is for you to be at fault (tailgating, not paying attention, etc). The exception to this would be someone running a red light and the timing being perfect. Accidents where you're not at fault is more likely to be from the back or sides where these things offer no protection.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 07 Dec 2015, 3:14 pm

Aus design rules and air bag compliance come into play here and youd be surprised how flimsy most bars as, that said if you don't want to stay technically ' legal for road use ' there are some beasts out there available helps to have a welder mate/skills

If you run into pretty much anything id expect some damage, however a nudge/bull bar will usually protect the main stuff on the front, condenser/rad etc
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 07 Dec 2015, 5:08 pm

SFA
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by p3seven » 07 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

They are ok in parking lots. Or, to hang driving lights off. Useless in the bush.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 07 Dec 2015, 8:27 pm

Gwion summed it up exactly, the only thing nudge bars are good for is to give a decent mounting point for a set of driving lights, ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by sbd3927 » 07 Dec 2015, 11:56 pm

.. and a winch, truly useful in any serious off road venture.

EDIT: I misread, thought the post was about bullbars. Those nudgebars look about as effective as leaving the dust on.
Last edited by sbd3927 on 17 Dec 2015, 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 08 Dec 2015, 12:17 pm

With a nudge bar you have to be careful to hit something juuuuust right, perfectly square on. Granted, they offer a little protection to the radiator, etc, but I really don't see much point with them. I see them more as a fashion accessory.

Do yourself a favour and get a roobar or bull bar, depending on what you want and the strength you want.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Lorgar » 08 Dec 2015, 1:17 pm

chacka wrote:The nudge bars on the other hand are only mounted on two points located at the bottom/front of the chassis. If something pushed on the bar from the middle or especially if a taller something backed into you it could leverage on the nudge bar?

It definitely happens. I've seen a few with the nudge bar folded back into the bonnet pinning the engine bay shut.

I couldn't really say why but I see a few drivers around me (live in the burbs, not the country) that have them on things like Camry's or other vehicles you'd never be bumping a paddock gate or stubborn cow with.

I suspect people tell themselves they offer the protection of a proper bull bar but choose them because they're a fraction of the size. Just telling themselves what they want to hear :allegedly:

The thin 1" tube ones especially confuse me. What people think those are going to protect you from I have no idea.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Sam45 » 08 Dec 2015, 4:58 pm

Absolute zero and don't waste your money! Buy a proper bar. here is a roo @ 110Kph The front shot is another 3 Roo's Now I have this.

nissan.jpg
nissan.jpg (95.06 KiB) Viewed 13753 times

nudge bar.jpg
nudge bar.jpg (56.54 KiB) Viewed 13808 times

Arb Bar.jpg
Arb Bar.jpg (84.17 KiB) Viewed 13808 times
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 09 Dec 2015, 7:03 am

Like I said before: Sweet Farouq All is how much protection these things afford.

Only good for touch parking in Toorak & South Yarra. :D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by NuZo » 09 Dec 2015, 7:55 am

I have one of the ECB Full bars on my Forester, got it super cheap off ebay and mounted a light bar too it.

subaru.jpg
subaru.jpg (283.26 KiB) Viewed 13753 times

Do i think it's going to stop a roo f***ing up my car? NOPE
The only reason it's on there is on the off chance it saves my car just that little bit of extra damage so i can still drive it home. I.E. it might save my Rad or something from cracking.

They are of a light alloy construction, and while I've jumped, sat, leaned, pushed against and nudged it, i still don't trust it to take a 40-50kg roo at 110km/h.

A nudge bar is a nudge bar, Mine is just a bigger version. I'm definitely happy with it so far but I havn't hit anything too solid with it yet. (only a few rabbits and a fox)

Cheers,

Nuzo
Subscribe to Australian Shooting Channel on Youtube! - https://www.youtube.com/c/AustralianShootingChannel
Like Australian Shooting Channel on Facebook! - https://www.facebook.com/AustralianShootingChannel
NuZo
Private
Private

-

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Dec 2015, 2:30 pm

10 out of 10 for what Gwion said.
I live in heavily infested LARGE roo country and we do a lot of driving especially at night.

1st car to bite the dust was an XR6 falcon ute. (too low cos the roos land in the windscreen)
2nd to bite the dust was an XE falcon ute with an Aluminium bull bar. (two roos and two new bullbars) plus the damage done by the Ally bullbar itself.

We now have a Landcruiser with a steel bullbar and hit many roos (they hit us) with no damage.

Also have a year 2,000 Nissan Patrol Wagon with a "Smart" bar and 3" body lift. Knocked over countless roos (they go under) with no damage except 2 have managed side strikes and broken the plastic wheel arch flares.

My daily drive at the moment is a 2008 Nissan Patrol ute also with 3" body lift and a Steel bullbar. Hit a few,,, NO damage.

For my money, next bar will be a steel 5 poster with twin side bars. ( TUFF brand) :thumbsup:

I wouldnt even waste 1/2 second to even think about a nudge bar. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by FuzzyM » 10 Dec 2015, 9:23 pm

Nudge bars are for fitting lights or aerials to rav4's.
That's about it.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Dec 2015, 7:05 am

Gwion wrote:SFA

That's what I reckon too :lol: I can't seeing that do anything to prevent damage from a roo strike.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 15 Dec 2015, 10:30 am

Walked past this yesterday.

Looks unbreakable! :sarcasm:
Attachments
corolla-nudge-bar.jpg
corolla-nudge-bar.jpg (60.11 KiB) Viewed 13617 times
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 15 Dec 2015, 2:59 pm

:lol: magnificent investment hey
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 15 Dec 2015, 3:21 pm

stop a roo in its tracks that would :thumbsdown: :allegedly:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Strikey » 15 Dec 2015, 8:40 pm

tom604 wrote:stop a roo in its tracks that would :thumbsdown: :allegedly:

If you have seen the condition the roos are in at the moment around Longreach, it probably would be all you need ;)
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 24 Dec 2015, 9:30 pm

Strikey wrote:

If you have seen the condition the roos are in at the moment around Longreach, it probably would be all you need ;)

I bet they are bad. Are they still in large numbers? Heading to Barcaldine on Boxing day.
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Strikey » 24 Dec 2015, 9:58 pm

Sam45 wrote:
Strikey wrote:

I bet they are bad. Are they still in large numbers? Heading to Barcaldine on Boxing day.

PM sent :thumbsup:
Strikey
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sam45 » 24 Dec 2015, 11:16 pm

Replied shagger :thumbsup:
Sam45
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by valkyrie » 25 Dec 2015, 9:03 am

Ive got a 95 hilux with a solid ass winch bar and a 4" lift kit. Hit so mich stuff with it and everything seems to just go straight underneath no damage at all. That includes everything from roos to decent trees if im being really silly with it. A proper steel bullbar is the way to go to stop vehicle damage. Airbags are for sooks who cant drive anyway haha
Remington 700 sf .308
Mossberg 4x4 22-250
Brno model 1 .22
Trusty 12 gauge
valkyrie
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by chacka » 04 Jan 2016, 9:20 am

Facepalm at that Corolla :unknown:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gaznazdiak » 26 Sep 2017, 9:01 am

Nudge bars give you about the same amount of protection from impact as your undies give you from a kick in the veggies.
Good for mounting a small light bar at best.
The only protection you'll get is from a steel bull bar. Aluminium bull bars aren't worth much more than a nudge bar. I had a 5 post alloy bar that did more damage to the car on impact wth a cow at 60kph than the cow alone, whereas the steel winch bar on my Range Rover took a hit from 3 roos in a bunch at 140kph without a problem. The buggers bent hell out of my steering arm as I went over the top of them, but without the bar probably would have written off both me and the car.
fideles usque ad mortem
Gaznazdiak
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Browning » 26 Sep 2017, 11:33 am

I've got an alloy ECB bullbar on my lux and I've hit 3 Roos now, all over 100km/h and granted there's a small dent in the bar, I was surprised how well it stood up to it..... Not comparing it to a 5 poster, but still, zero damage to car and peace of mind for future incidents.
2" lift also helped massively I reckon cos as stated above, they go under....
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 26 Sep 2017, 11:42 am

chacka wrote:Gents,

Doing my research on potential nudge bar installation for a Forester.

My observations and assumptions on the bars are this.

I see the bars on serious 4WD that have fully replaced the front bumper and sometimes also have the side slider rails connected to the front bullbar. Obviously with the bigger bar and connecting to side rails there are a lot of mount points to re-enforce the bar in the event you hit something (or some idiot backs into you).

The nudge bars on the other hand are only mounted on two points located at the bottom/front of the chassis. If something pushed on the bar from the middle or especially if a taller something backed into you it could leverage on the nudge bar?

How strong are the mounts for said bars usually?

Would they stay straight in a fender bender at 40km or bend back?

Same for getting reversed into by something?

Do they offer any real protection or are they just for guys who think a bar of some kind looks cool?

I was/sort of still am looking at getting a nudge put on my XV. Definitely not for the purpose of protection (other than a parking lot) but more to mount a nice big LED bar across it for when driving bush. Got quoted $900 for an ECB nudge bar... bit expensive for what it is/does so I've put it on the back burner for now.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 26 Sep 2017, 1:30 pm

If it's for a light bar, get roof racks and put your light bar up there. You can fit a bigger one AND it's now up higher away from roos, stone chips and idiots in the car park.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by YoungBuck » 26 Sep 2017, 2:13 pm

Browning wrote:If it's for a light bar, get roof racks and put your light bar up there. You can fit a bigger one AND it's now up higher away from roos, stone chips and idiots in the car park.

I'd imagine the light reflection off the bonnet would be a bit of a b*tch...
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel