Vibration Problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Vibration Problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton

Post by bigfellascott » 17 Jan 2016, 9:49 pm

Anyone else with a new 2015 Triton having vibration issues?

https://www.facebook.com/SFP4WD/posts/1663577740569288

Here's the article for those who don't have faceache

PLEASE SHARE - PLEASE SHARE - PLEASE SHARE

WARNING : DO NOT BUY THE NEW SERIES 2015 TRITON UTE!!!!!

3 months ago I bought a brand new Mitsubishi Triton Ute ($49,000K) (pictured in my cover photo) I have driven this car for only 10 days as it has a manufacturing fault and I took it back to WESTERN PLAINS AUTOMOTIVE in Dubbo to get it sorted out. The problem was that once I drove over 30km per hour there was a very strong vibration (shaking) right throughout the car. The bonnet, the bullbar and the passenger seat shakes like it isn't bolted in, but when it is checked it is bolted down solid, as is the bullbar. So the service manager at Western Plains Auto has done many things to try to find the cause of the shaking and vibrating but to no avail. Mitsubishi do not want to know about it and have said there is nothing wrong with the car after flying someone to Dubbo to check it. The Principal Greg Brimble of Western Plains won't do anything about it and the car has been sitting in their yard (locked up out the back) since around the 28th October 2015. I am paying a loan and insurance for the vehicle every month ($1,000 per month)

There have been many people complain about the vibration at their 1,500km service but MItsubishi tell the dealers to tell their customers it's caused because of the uneven road surface- as far as I know no one else has left their car with the dealer until the problem is rectified. I have a 3 year old 2013 Triton ute that does not vibrate at all and I drive it on exactly the same roads as the new one - I don't like being treated like a fool.

Fair Trading have had no luck with Western Plains Automotive responding to my complaint so now I have to take it to a Tribunal Hearing. So now I need to hear from other people with the same problem to come on board so Mitsubishi has to recall and 'FIX' the problem - I have been told by the Service Manager at Western Plains that Mitsubishi Australia says that the suspension is too hard for the vehicle .... well replace it !!!

Please share this post as I need to know how many 2015 TRITON owners out there have the same problem - I need them to contact me asap (via inbox) - How can a person spend $50K on a new car that should have been perfect and MItsubishi Australia won't admit there is a problem because it's not good for business! Well a car with a major design fault is NOT good for business either and customers that pay their hard earned money for a vehicle deserve better. This has become a nightmare !
Last edited by bigfellascott on 18 Jan 2016, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Re: Vibration Problems with 2015 Mitsubishi Triton

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Jan 2016, 10:13 pm

It's a Mitsy ????????????

I guess that's one good reason to lease rather than buy outright.

Maybe do what the disgruntled Jeep owner did.
Make public everything about it, then take cash payments from people that want to help kill it,,,,,
Then refuse Mitsubishi the opportunity to buy it back and sweep it under the carpet.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 18 Jan 2016, 5:51 am

Did you notice the vibaration after doing something? 4wding/ mods etc?

Take it back get it fixed under warranty
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gwion » 18 Jan 2016, 5:52 am

What a shame! It will prove the end of the reputation for a vehicle that won many consecutive '4wd Ute of the Year' awards when the 'new' body shape was released. Got my eye on a low km used jobbie, possibly in the near future; so I'll watch this with interest.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 18 Jan 2016, 6:36 am

It's not mine fella's - I saw a post on AHN with a link to the link I posted, just wondering if anyone here owns one and if they do and are experiencing the same issues as others re vibration to get in contact with the person on facebook so a case can be built against Mitsubishi to force a recall to correct what may/maynot be a manufacturing design fault.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 18 Jan 2016, 6:56 am

Where are the vibes coming from?

Front end? If it were mine Id check tyre pressures, missing wheel balance weights, loose wheel nuts :P then hoist it, check wheel bearings, all steering joints and suspension connecting points, alignment, even engine rubber mounts. Engine running rough? Timing and check plugs for signs of poor uneven burn?

Middle-rear? Gearbox mounts (is the shift stick vibrating badly?), tail shaft uni joints, rear suspension connections etc

Sell it and get a Feroza
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 18 Jan 2016, 8:47 am

That me have a look....
....AAH! I can see the problem, its a Mitsu!

Have a mate who was a 4x4er for years, fj40, cruiser, hilux..... then he decided to try something different so he bought 'another brand' of 4x....about 10k and the axle literally fell of, half axle took the hub and wheel and departed, lesson learned.

No doubt placed in the too hard basket by the dealer, SOP is to take it on a short drive, maybe on the gravel back road... Nah thats normal mate! Its a ute!

But the vibe could be anything, a misaligned midget, engine trans mount, maybe as simple as a bent rim....
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Yelp » 18 Jan 2016, 10:03 am

KWhorenet wrote:Middle-rear? Gearbox mounts (is the shift stick vibrating badly?), tail shaft uni joints

That's where I was leaning as it gets noticeable over 30km.

Somewhere along the tail shaft... Transfer case maybe?
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Old Fart » 01 Feb 2016, 2:30 pm

This kind of stuff is sometimes tricky to diagnose (well, not really) because the dealers only test them as far as it takes to go from the parking bay to the workshop.

If you've got an intermittent or subtle problem, or one that only happens with a particular driving style they often won't find it.

You've gotta rope the dealer into coming for a drive and listening to it from the front and back seat to get an idea where it is, and stick it on the hoist with someone inside to give it throttle while walk along side listening from underneath.

Easy, except for if they can't be stuffed doing it which is the problem half the time :problem:
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by wrenchman » 01 Feb 2016, 2:58 pm

when you drive it how you fill the vibration will help locate it like if the steering vibrates its a steering problim if the wheel wabbles any when you fill it it could be a tire problim if you fill it in the legs or the seat of you pants you might have a bad hub on the back or a tire
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Feb 2016, 5:16 pm

I have no doubt the wrenchman could diagnose the problem quickly.... so send the ute over to him.....

But on the other hand he cant spell tyre.. :unknown: :lol:

(we need that Aussie English translation app ;) )
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MickGC » 01 Feb 2016, 6:29 pm

I work for a fairly large company, we have a lot of 4wd utes, we got pretty much all of the big name brand ones.
so many tritons with engine replacements at 60k kms, its kinda scary!
MickGC
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Feb 2016, 8:21 pm

MickGC wrote:I work for a fairly large company, we have a lot of 4wd utes, we got pretty much all of the big name brand ones.

Funny you mention that, my mate the butcher had his 2013 or 2014 model engine replaced over Xmas, he was driving along and it just lost power, they plugged the computer thingy in and it said replace engine :lol:

He said he knows of 5 others around town who had new engines fitted and also was told by the dealer where it died there have been 6 they have done too. :silent:

Glad I didn't buy one.

On the upside he's got the latest model engine fitted apparently and it goes heaps better and uses a lot less fuel (how long it keeps going is another matter) :D
Last edited by bigfellascott on 10 Feb 2016, 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by happyhunter » 01 Feb 2016, 9:05 pm

Last edited by happyhunter on 17 Feb 2017, 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by wrenchman » 02 Feb 2016, 7:43 am

it might be a lot to send it to me.
lol yea i spell bad sorry even when thats how we spell tire here the wife says it my damn hillbilly comeing out
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Feb 2016, 9:01 pm

"Notice that you barely see TV advertising for landcruiser, patrol or sierra jimny? It's because they are that bloody good they don't need to advertise."

Mmmmmm, could be an astute observation.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by ebr love » 10 Feb 2016, 10:22 am

happyhunter wrote:Notice that you barely see TV advertising for landcruiser, patrol or sierra jimny? It's because they are that bloody good they don't need to advertise.

Just a few here and there targeting the soccer mums.
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 10 Feb 2016, 10:24 am

So, is this issue restricted to 2015 models? Any issues with 2014 or 2013?
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2016, 2:30 pm

Gwion wrote:So, is this issue restricted to 2015 models? Any issues with 2014 or 2013?

I think my mates triton is a 2013 or 2014 and the mote blew up on it at 60K at Xmas, apparently 5 in our area suffered the same fate and the dealer where he got the engine replaced said they know of 6 around there too. :shock:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gwion » 10 Feb 2016, 3:54 pm

Dammit... back to the drawing board.....

Looking to possibly keep the HiLux as a farm ute and get a twin cab for work & travelling. When i test drove the Tritons (and all new twin cabs) in 2010 i really liked how comfortable and non "truck" like they are to drive. Also, they have best passenger comfort in the class. Fuel economy to power & towing capacity also looks good on paper.

Might start a thread on the pros and cons of various twin cab utes.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Gwion » 10 Feb 2016, 3:56 pm

Just a thought... are these vehicles bought new, or 1y.o ex-mining cast offs???

There are a heap of ex-mining vehicles on the market that have had a very rough time early in their working lives.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Feb 2016, 10:03 pm

Gwion wrote:Just a thought... are these vehicles bought new, or 1y.o ex-mining cast offs???

There are a heap of ex-mining vehicles on the market that have had a very rough time early in their working lives.

mates was bought new. :thumbsup: I must suss out exactly what year it was manufactured (keep forgetting to ask) :silent: The brothers got a 2015 model I think (bought it new last year) so assume its made in that year, I noticed a slight vibration when in top gear. I will have to tell him about the complaints about vibration so he can keep an eye on it :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bourt » 16 Feb 2016, 12:22 pm

Gwion wrote:1y.o ex-mining cast offs???

Gotta check for that in the second hand market.

Lots being passed of as 'normal' second hand vehicles but you check underneath and they've obviously had a much harder life than an average second hand one like some sellers would have you believe.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gobushgohome » 16 Dec 2016, 2:12 pm

I have the 2016 GLS Triton Dual Cab, I was aware of the slight vibration on hard acceleration from the rear prior to purchase, as my best mate is a Mitsubishi Mechanic. He explained that to get the GVM up they changed the rear spring rates to a constant load rated leaf pack and under harsh acceleration a vibration is felt when the springs actually axle tramp and then fight the traction control. I turned off the Traction Control and it helped but Mitsubishi is in the process of adapting the Pajero Sport tail shaft to suit the Triton , one pice and two piece, fitted with a rubber dampener. All is not lost, stick to your line of complaint and who knows, they might do yours first. The new Triton is a bloody impressive piece of kit, I love mine. Cheers
Gobushgohome
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 17 Dec 2016, 7:25 am

MickGC wrote:I work for a fairly large company, we have a lot of 4wd utes, we got pretty much all of the big name brand ones.

What year model is having those issues? Our local govt fleet has quite a few ml/mn tritons but nothing newer and they all seem to get along fine, the 4d56t is a pretty easy engine to service, I've done a number of timing belts and we have a few tritons over 130,000km in the fleet still.

I know they had issues with the intake manifold coking up with carbon, I think this issue is sell documented online.

The biggest plus on a Triton over a ranger/rodeo/Mazda etc is they have a much more solid driveline, universals are greasable tailshafts are solid and diffs are large. At least this is the case with the older ones, stick your head under a new colorado and you'll be wondering what your 50k paid for.

I wouldn't be buying this new Triton simply cos its the first of a new Ute with a new aluminium engine, give it till it's third iteration it should be a good vehicle.

Of all the new utes though the only one I'd buy is the dmax.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gobushgohome » 18 Dec 2016, 6:55 pm

Hi Mick, this aluminium engine in the MQ Triton has been around for about 6 years in Europe and is super reliable running lower compression with a much smarter EGR. It is also more powerful than previous Tritons and more economical. It weighs 25 kilos less too. It has been in Peugeot Vehicles for years and is Euro6 compliant. Mate the MQ is really a bargain in GLS form with the Aissan auto trans and super select 11 transfer case. I have driven the new Hilux extensively and give me the new Triton any day at 6 to 7 litres per 100 Kim's. Just letting you know my experience not bagging your view, Cheers
Gobushgohome
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by sandgroperbill » 18 Dec 2016, 7:02 pm

Gobushgohome wrote:give me the new Triton any day at 6 to 7 litres per 100 Kim's.

Tested this yourself? I wouldn't trust economy figures from the manufacturer...
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by duncan61 » 18 Dec 2016, 7:21 pm

Been around the automotive industry all my working life and Mitsubishi are famous for being cheaper and less reliable and not lasting as long.I personally had a 89 Pajero from near new and at 250,000kms the whole car fell apart door handles the drivers seat broke water pump went seatbelts jammed all the drive train was worn out Lost a brake line at the rear brakes were shot.They are good new but when they go they do it in style.I had a jeep that started vibrating and it was mud on the inside of the rim front near side.My mate picked it up and it did not take long to wear the tyre out of shape.Put on the spare problem solved.Any sort of vibration I would be looking at wheels first
.22 winchester .22hornet .222 .243 7mm rem mag cbc 12g
duncan61
Officer Cadet
Officer Cadet

Western Australia

Post by Gobushgohome » 18 Dec 2016, 7:22 pm

Absolutely, its in the garage now. Mate I didn't even read the yellow sticker on the windscreen, they are always crap, I am yet to tow with new Triton but most cars head south with towing mileage. I am super impressed with this Triton, just spreading the good news!!! Also the DPF is in the engine bay and is more efficient. The only fear I have is with the ever increasing emission laws and when you throw a sensor in the middle of nowhere.
Gobushgohome
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by scotty87 » 19 Dec 2016, 5:26 am

Gobushgohome wrote:Absolutely, its in the garage now. Mate I didn't even read the yellow sticker on the windscreen, they are always crap, I am yet to tow with new Triton but most cars head south with towing mileage. I am super impressed with this Triton, just spreading the good news!!! Also the DPF is in the engine bay and is more efficient. The only fear I have is with the ever increasing emission laws and when you throw a sensor in the middle of nowhere.

I've found I've been able to replicate the economy figures given by Mitsubishi for my 2013 mirage, only ever me in the car though, you wouldn't get the 4.6l/100km if you used it as a family car. You'll get the advertised figures unloaded with a single occupant holding speeds of 85-95km/HR.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel