"fuel only" jerry cans for water

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: "fuel only" jerry cans for water

Post by chrispy » 12 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

May also be the grade of HDPE the plastic is made of. Fuel ones my not be food grade PE
chrispy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

I have in the past used one of these "yellow" plastic jerry cans for water with no ill effect.

I'm pretty certain that the grade of plastic used in the manufacture, is designed to prevent (if used for fuel) the plastic from going brittle, and then splitting.
It is also aimed at being safe from static electricity caused (supposedly) by the friction of the fuel hitting up against the sides of the jerry can when being filled from the fuel pump.

I would use one with no hesitation for water,,, and simply label it WATER with a black permanent texta.

I have also used those BLUE plastic 20 liter drums that engine oil is bought in for camping water.
Have done so for many years, and haven't grown any extra legs or fingers.

Just rinse, and then steam clean the inside thoroughly before using for water.

The white ones you can buy for water are not UV stabilized and will eventually shatter,,
but the blue ones are as tough as a feral cat, and I've never had one fail me yet.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by heeple » 13 Apr 2016, 3:41 pm

Just had them spontaneously combust on the range for mysterious reasons :D
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal