"fuel only" jerry cans for water

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

"fuel only" jerry cans for water

Post by chacka » 01 Apr 2016, 9:57 am

G'day all,

Swung by Autobahn to pick up a 10L jerry can planing to use it for water instead of getting plastic ones all the time from the shops.

I notice all the cans stress 'fuel only'.

Is there a reason you wouldn't want to drink from a new one that's never had fuel in it? After a wash of course.

I guessed maybe it's just not made to food storage standards? Or they don't want some idiot filling it with fuel, then swapping to drinking water?

?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: "fuel only" jerry cans for water

Post by adam » 01 Apr 2016, 10:17 am

I guess the same as you. I wouldn't have an issue with using it for water. I believe it has to do with being all safety conscious.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 01 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

probably so someone doesn't lob 20litres of water down into their tank lol
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Boss4b » 01 Apr 2016, 10:44 am

It will more then likely rust with water in it
Boss4b
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by adam » 01 Apr 2016, 11:25 am

It's probably there to protect the criminals. Heaven forbid someone steels your jerry can and put's it in their car and wrecks their engine. If you put water in your jerry can, and someone steels it and it ruins their engine - and someone has an accident because of it, knowing our government they'll probably put the blame on you...
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 01 Apr 2016, 11:27 am

Boss4b wrote:It will more then likely rust with water in it

Get a plastic one, or go to aussie disposals or similar and get a clear 20 litre one i got it years ago other sizes probably available by now
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by chacka » 01 Apr 2016, 12:28 pm

It would only be filled with water for 2, maybe 3 days at a time during trips. Not for storage.

Emptied and dried every time afterwards.

Still an issue?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 01 Apr 2016, 12:41 pm

Not all plastics are suitable for fuel storage, so the plastics chemical makeup may mean its not totally safe to use to store drinking water. Just get yourself water containers or buy a couple of cheap disposable black and gold 10l spring waters from the shops. Personally, my tap water doesn't taste great, so I just buy the big spring waters when I go camping
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Gwion » 01 Apr 2016, 1:50 pm

The likes of Bunnings sell 20lt food grade cubes. No chance of a mix up and you can fit a tap to the bung.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 01 Apr 2016, 6:29 pm

chacka wrote:

It would only be filled with water for 2, maybe 3 days at a time during trips. Not for storage.

Emptied and dried every time afterwards.

Still an issue?

If the steel is coated, should be okeycokey.... I doubt the inners would be uncoated mild steel.. but who knows :unknown:

If they were mild steel uncoated and you get a bit of rust in it..... honestly, its only iron oxide... your body needs iron ;) and I'd prefer to ingest common iron than complex molecules of polyfreakincrappolaanhydridemonounsaturated this and that....from a dirty factory in china :lol:

Plus, food grade plastics are not necessarily UV resistant and as generally durable as good ol'steel!

Use the erry can and stencil WATER over the fuel or petrol marking, that way you, your mates and/or your old man dont make the mistake :thumbsup:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by WayneO » 01 Apr 2016, 8:03 pm

Mostly the steel Jerry Cans can handle water for long periods of time, but if you have any part of the inside of the can that did not get covered in the coating during manufacturing, it will start to rust.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 01 Apr 2016, 8:23 pm

You do get steel water Jerry Cans, but they have been properly treated and dipped so that they dont rust. And contrary to popular belief, they are not made of stainless steel.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by sbd3927 » 02 Apr 2016, 11:31 am

From the flaky bits that come out of my old fuel cans, there is an epoxy paint on the inside. Since the traces of moisture get through that, then the same will happen with water, but they are quite old. Once it happens you'll get flaky bits of paint in your water.
I use the square 25litre drums. You can see how much water you have left at a glance too.
For NT or QLD I have at least 4. Also a small diaphragm pump which serves; as a shower with garden hose/nozzle, and as a desalinator using a small under sink reverse osmosis unit. Purifies about 15L water overnight from outback bores which can be too salty for extended consumption.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 02 Apr 2016, 12:57 pm

There are industry and government standardised colours for jerry cans. Red for gasoline, yellow for diesel etc. Water l think is blue or white.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 02 Apr 2016, 1:01 pm

Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 02 Apr 2016, 3:43 pm

Personally I dont mess around when it comes to drinking water, propper food grade containers only that will never be confused with fuel drums.
I dont like the idea of feeding toxins to my family or myself if I can help it.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gregg » 08 Apr 2016, 1:41 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:If they were mild steel uncoated and you get a bit of rust in it..... honestly, its only iron oxide... your body needs iron ;)

Drink a few glasses of wine for the antioxidants to offset the oxide, problem solved :lol:
Howa 1500 .270 WInchester
Savage Model 10/110 Predator .204 Ruger
Gregg
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by southeast varmiter » 08 Apr 2016, 6:00 pm

sandgroperbill wrote:Not all plastics are suitable for fuel storage, so the plastics chemical makeup may mean its not totally safe to use to store drinking water. Just get yourself water containers or buy a couple of cheap disposable black and gold 10l spring waters from the shops. Personally, my tap water doesn't taste great, so I just buy the big spring waters when I go camping

Yep, that plastic is treated for hydrocarbons. It will leach chems into your water - nasty.
southeast varmiter
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by chrispy » 12 Apr 2016, 8:17 am

May also be the grade of HDPE the plastic is made of. Fuel ones my not be food grade PE
chrispy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Apr 2016, 11:40 am

I have in the past used one of these "yellow" plastic jerry cans for water with no ill effect.

I'm pretty certain that the grade of plastic used in the manufacture, is designed to prevent (if used for fuel) the plastic from going brittle, and then splitting.
It is also aimed at being safe from static electricity caused (supposedly) by the friction of the fuel hitting up against the sides of the jerry can when being filled from the fuel pump.

I would use one with no hesitation for water,,, and simply label it WATER with a black permanent texta.

I have also used those BLUE plastic 20 liter drums that engine oil is bought in for camping water.
Have done so for many years, and haven't grown any extra legs or fingers.

Just rinse, and then steam clean the inside thoroughly before using for water.

The white ones you can buy for water are not UV stabilized and will eventually shatter,,
but the blue ones are as tough as a feral cat, and I've never had one fail me yet.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by heeple » 13 Apr 2016, 3:41 pm

Just had them spontaneously combust on the range for mysterious reasons :D
Remingtion 700 XCR in 7mm-08
Winchester 94 in 30-30
Ruger 77/22 in 22LR
heeple
Lance Corporal