How is this likely welded? (roof racks)

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

How is this likely welded? (roof racks)

Post by Wes » 19 Apr 2016, 10:35 am

Hi guys,

Got a roof rack that needs the side rails chopped to keep the overall height down for city stuff.

Hopefully can make out what I'm talking about from these pics off the net.

ARBFordRangerIncBoat0212_136_Photoshop.jpg
ARBFordRangerIncBoat0212_136_Photoshop.jpg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

arbroofrack.jpg
arbroofrack.jpg (35.04 KiB) Viewed 5671 times

What I'd like to do is chop the side rails and grind them down to make smooth tubes around.

The question is, how are they likely joined? What I'm hoping is the bottom tube that is the base of the rack is solid, and the top bars have a scallop taken out and sit on the tube.

Hoping it's not the case that the bottom tube of the rack has holes in it, and the side rails drop into those holes and are welded.

Basically so if we cut the side off we don't create holes in the base of the rack.

Hard to word this, hopefully you guys follow..... How do you think it's likely made?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: How is this likely welded? (roof racks)

Post by pomemax » 19 Apr 2016, 11:47 am

Cut a corner of the top rack after the support and about 20 mm up from base and have a look it looks to me like its a solid tube on the base use a thin grinder wheel something like this
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/50-x-5-125MM ... SwnOJWEyYw
watch where your sparks are going and cover anypaint work carboard will do DONT try to cut through the weld Grind down to it
Last edited by pomemax on 19 Apr 2016, 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 19 Apr 2016, 11:48 am

At a guess id say the top rail is notched to match the profile of the bottom rail, rarely is the bottom tube drilled, it weakens it too much.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 19 Apr 2016, 11:52 am

I'm voting on the top being notched, it's the way most tubes are joined because it's faster and probably stronger.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by GLS_1956 » 19 Apr 2016, 12:48 pm

Chronos wrote:At a guess id say the top rail is notched to match the profile of the bottom rail, rarely is the bottom tube drilled, it weakens it too much.

I agree, that is how we'd have done it when I worked in a shop as a welder. A lot less labor involved.
I've been asked: "How many guns do you need to have?" My answer remains the same: "One more."
GLS_1956
Sergeant
Sergeant

United States of America

Post by Monty » 19 Apr 2016, 2:18 pm

If you haven't seen them the Rhino Rack platforms sound to be what you want straight out of the box.

http://www.rhinorack.com.au/products/ro ... -platforms

Mounts aren't overly tall and there is an option with no sides.
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Wes » 19 Apr 2016, 3:39 pm

Yeah I know there are other racks that would be ideal but this is what we've got.

Had a look at selling the current one and buying a suitable one second hand but none going in a drivable radius for pickup. To sell this and buy new will still cost $400 - $500 by the time we get the mounts and other bits.

Rather spend an hour with the grinder taking the sides off and cleaning it up for nothing. Don't care about resale of the rack or anything like that.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 20 Apr 2016, 10:48 am

If you do chop it don't forget to seal the cuts against rust as you'll obviously be opening up new spots which aren't powder coated.
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Apr 2016, 1:13 pm

Being a Boilermaker/Pressure Vessel/Maintenance welder (qualified) in all these fields for 40 + years I would 99.999% guarantee that the upright sides are simply scalloped, and fitted up in a jig and mig welded (probably) by automated mig gun/s.

I have dealt with this brand many times in the field and in a maintenance sense,, and again can guarantee that they mass produce in the simplest possible way, and the most cost effective way so as to maximize their profits at the end of each and every day.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 20 Apr 2016, 2:52 pm

Wes wrote:Yeah I know there are other racks that would be ideal but this is what we've got.

Had a look at selling the current one and buying a suitable one second hand but none going in a drivable radius for pickup. To sell this and buy new will still cost $400 - $500 by the time we get the mounts and other bits.

Rather spend an hour with the grinder taking the sides off and cleaning it up for nothing. Don't care about resale of the rack or anything like that.

I honestly think your rack is going to be cactus when you have finished with it. No offence meant; it would definitely be cactus by the time i finished with it!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 20 Apr 2016, 3:15 pm

Gwion wrote:
Wes wrote:Yeah I know there are other racks that would be ideal but this is what we've got.

I honestly think your rack is going to be cactus when you have finished with it. No offence meant; it would definitely be cactus by the time i finished with it!

Have to agree with Gwion on this it will be stuffed if you cut it.

The 2 risers and top bar give that rack a heap of strength cutting them off will weaken it significantly, the second moment of area calculation is base times height cubed over 12, since height is cubed any change here will make a great change to stiffness and taking it away will significantly reduce its carrying capacity.

Might be better to work out a quick release system to remove it when not in use.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 20 Apr 2016, 8:16 pm

By quick release you mean just take the rack off until you need to use it???
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Apr 2016, 9:28 pm

Have to agree with Gwion on this it will be stuffed if you cut it.

The 2 risers and top bar give that rack a heap of strength cutting them off will weaken it significantly, the second moment of area calculation is base times height cubed over 12, since height is cubed any change here will make a great change to stiffness and taking it away will significantly reduce its carrying capacity.

Might be better to work out a quick release system to remove it when not in use.

I also concur with the above mentioned.

At the very least,, take the R/side upper rail off and put it on the L/side, underneath at approx 60 / 80 degrees (just winged enough to clear opening doors) and put the L/side onto the R/side.
You won't end up with the same strength/carry capacity, but it will still be functional.

Care needs to be taken, eg bracing the whole thing while cutting and rewelding,,, to prevent distortion etc.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Apr 2016, 9:37 pm

Probably a lot easier to sell the god dammed roof rack,,,, and buy a trailer.

:thumbsup:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 20 Apr 2016, 10:10 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Probably a lot easier to sell the god dammed roof rack,,,, and buy a trailer.

Or buy a compressor and let the tyres down when he wants to go to the shops Hahahaha

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Gwion » 21 Apr 2016, 8:44 am

Chronos wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:Probably a lot easier to sell the god dammed roof rack,,,, and buy a trailer.

Or buy a compressor and let the tyres down when he wants to go to the shops Hahahaha

Chronos

Haha to both comments there!

Not uncommon for something to seem like a good simple idea but in the end be more hassle and trouble than it was worth and then you screw up a perfectly good item for the sake of saving a few buck, when in the end you have to scrap it an buy a new one anyway; without the benefit of being able to sell the perfectly good original.

My suggestion, strangely simple though it may be, is to take the bloody thing off and only put it on when you are going on a trip. Only takes, what, 10mins max! If you use it more regularly, get a 6x4 trailer, as suggested above.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Homer » 23 Apr 2016, 9:58 am

G'Day Fella's,

From what I've seen of these roof racks, the base section is assembled and then the sides are notched to mate with the base section and welded to the base!
They are then sand blasted and Powder Coated!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer
Homer
Corporal
Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by south » 26 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:Have to agree with Gwion on this it will be stuffed if you cut it.

It must still be strong across the body between the mounts though?

Fair enough strength of the overhanging areas would go down but if you don't put anything heavy on their and only on the central area it must still be pretty strong?
south
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel