Advice on a 4x4

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Advice on a 4x4

Post by Elmer » 16 May 2016, 3:17 pm

A question for you gentlemen....after many years of service the VW will shortly enjoy retirement, therefore I will need another vehicle.
My question is (with budget of $10000-$15000) what 4x4 would you guys recommend?....Iam not after a big bloody tank that will sink when it hits the first sand patch but more a medium size vehicle (preferably diesel) that will be comfy in the stoney paddocks where I drive and can take the punishment of rough tracks.
I don't go mountain climbing and would like to use the bonnet as a shooting platform...Iam thinking along the lines of a Toyota....any suggestions?
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Re: Advice on a 4x4

Post by Gibbo » 16 May 2016, 3:25 pm

I am looking for the same and similar price range... if you want 2010 or newer then the ST Navara seems to be in that price range. If you don't mind an older model then that widens the choice a bit.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by sandgroperbill » 16 May 2016, 3:33 pm

Perhaps a suzuki may fit the bill? Although its petrol and looks only slightly larger than a dinky, don't be fooled, they're serious little off roaders, excellent on sand and cheap to run
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 May 2016, 4:25 pm

not a lot of $ to play with... do you need to carry the family, kids?
Comfy in the paddock is kind of a contradiction... comfy is a plush sedan - but it wont get over the rocks...

A lightweight ute, Hilux or similar, live rear... :thumbsup:
if you go a wagon, would be a bit long in the tooth for that money
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by AusTac » 16 May 2016, 5:42 pm

tj wrangler? i've got a jk its pretty much point and drive
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 5:44 pm

Toyota,,, Toyota,,,, Toyota,,,, Toyota,,,, (Cruiser) either ute or wagon.

After many years of running cruisers,, I changed last year and went Nissan Patrol. :thumbsdown:

Worst fr*ggin move I've ever made.

This little black duck is gonna re register my old 75 Series, and sell the Patrol flat out like a lizard drinkin.
Even tho the Patrol is VERY low mileage, and in extremely good condition, I've never felt comfy driving it.

I'm gonna save like mad and go for a late model Cruiser again.
:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 5:50 pm

AusTac wrote:tj wrangler? i've got a jk its pretty much point and drive

When my partner was looking for another car 2 years ago, she was thinking about Jeep.
Till two car salesmen came out with almost identical stories.

In essence,, they said if they see anyone pull up out front in a jeep, and look like they may be gonna want to use it as a trade in,,,, they go hide.

Makes you wonder ,,,,,,,,, :unknown:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by scotty87 » 16 May 2016, 6:31 pm

you should be able to get a turbo diesel 80 series wagon with all the fruit in that budget, they have dropped a hell of alot over the last few years. The 1HD-fte engine is the pick of the bunch, though a non turbo 1HZ will leave alot more room in the budget for kitting it out for shooting/camping/touring.

If you want something more modern PK rangers are getting about at that price, 3.0L turbo diesel king cab would be my pick.

also if I were you i'd widen my search to include vehicles from VIC, always good deals on 4x4's in VIC.
scotty87
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by AusTac » 16 May 2016, 7:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

When my partner was looking for another car 2 years ago, she was thinking about Jeep.
Till two car salesmen came out with almost identical stories.

In essence,, they said if they see anyone pull up out front in a jeep, and look like they may be gonna want to use it as a trade in,,,, they go hide.

Naah mines gone fine so far, there is a few common things i've had to take car of in terms of wear and tear items but apart from that its been great and if it breaks i'll fix it ( professional mechanic ) :P
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 16 May 2016, 7:12 pm

Die Judicii wrote:

Till two car salesmen came out with almost identical stores.

Stay away from jeep. They have heaps of quality related issues. And the odd fire too. :allegedly:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2016, 7:27 pm

My 75 series landcruiser never let me down. If you are happy to go without little luxuries then the industrial series toyota is a good unit... or Maybe an 80 series or 105 series might suit your requirement, but they are relatively large vehicles. Something not highly modified (and therefore not hammered off road) that's seen mostly road miles would be a good score.

I've also owned a couple current shape Suzuki Jimny Sierras and they are a tough little truck that excell in the mud, sand and rocks although fitting rifles in the back plus all your gear is a pain, plus they need to be driven with common sense to not roll the little beasts. I learned this the hard way.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 16 May 2016, 7:28 pm

The Jeep hate is alive and well, that said i wouldn't get anything other than a wrangler, how about a older bt/50/ranger? Yotas seem to hold there value and people want crazy amounts of money for them, if you can deal with the size a suzuki jimnny would be ok, small efficient light and proper 4x4.

I went through this in December so its still fresh, does it need to cart kids? ( safety/4door ) or is a tray/style side duel cab/single cab/extra freestyle cab more you flavour?

80 series landcruiser? Landrover defender?
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by YoungBuck » 16 May 2016, 8:29 pm

Wouldn't call it a 4x4 but but its certainly in the right area. I will be taking possession of a new Subaru XV in about 2 weeks time. AWD SUVs something to consider? Maybe not for 10-15k though.
It'll shoot the fleas off a dog's back at five hundred yards, Tannen, and it's pointed straight at your head!
YoungBuck
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Elmer » 16 May 2016, 9:00 pm

Thank you Gentlemen for all your replies, much to think about. I have heard about the Jeep related issues, even my own mechanic warned me not to get one, parts are incredibly expensive and frequent break downs the norm. As I dont have kids to worry about, (just my beloved sakos :thumbsup: ) I would give serious consideration to a suzi jimny, have heard very good reports about them. But I still like the Toyotas, their reputation is hard to beat and when you see most of the farmers driving them well you know they must be tough.
Elmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 16 May 2016, 9:52 pm

Yeah, in my previous reply I meant to mention that the jeep spare parts prices will keep you poor forever.

Also, it's an amazing sight to drive the full length of the town of Cloncurry.

98% of the 4wd,s parked down the middle are Cruisers.

I've never seen a jeep amongst em.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 16 May 2016, 9:57 pm

YoungBuck wrote:Wouldn't call it a 4x4 but but its certainly in the right area. I will be taking possession of a new Subaru XV in about 2 weeks time. AWD SUVs something to consider? Maybe not for 10-15k though.

Course its a forby... :) i had a scoobydoo for a work car several yrs ago and it went hard on and off road...across the paddocks, forest trail, nothing got in its way....

But i would buy a wrangler myself... not the td, foot down wait 5sec for the turbo... no thanks. Id take the roof off front screen down and apply a full body zebra decal :D
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 16 May 2016, 10:39 pm

1. 4.2 ltr diesel Nissan Patrol
2. 4 .2ltr diesel Toyota landcruiser

In that order for me, I wouldn't settle for anything else.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by WayneO » 17 May 2016, 6:48 pm

For me the only 4x4 that makes sense for Hunting, shooting, fishing, camping, diving and mountain climbing is a D/Cab. Plus its great for the dogs, firewood, collecting stuff from the hardware and for everyday use to work and back. Station wagons are nice, but nothing beats the versatility of a D/Cab.
My wife has the Jimny and its an amazing little car. We fitted a snorkel, roof rack, suspension, B.F.G tyres and a battery system, removed the rear seats and fitted a wooden floor and put is some decent speakers. It gives us 8L/100 and goes wherever you point it.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel