Country speed limits.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Country speed limits.

Post by Noisydad » 16 May 2016, 6:07 pm

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/sto ... s/?cs=3372
Here we go. Yet another attack on rural Australia! Here's what will happen...They will drop the speed limit under the guise of motoring safety and within weeks announce that they are quadrupling the number of mobile speed cameras - also under the guise of motoring safety. Then watch as speeding fine revenues go through the roof! Would anyone like to bet on a different outcome?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Re: Country speed limits.

Post by happyhunter » 16 May 2016, 7:33 pm

I never obey the speed limit anyway. They also want to drop the BAC to 0.02% but I don't drink either, so all bases are covered :)
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by AusTac » 16 May 2016, 7:54 pm

The'll drop it to like 80 om rural roads then bang on about how much safer it'll be and how it will lower to road tol and as you said announce a few speed safety blitz's.

Then when everyone complains the'll play the safety card over and over.

The roads around central Vic are fine the way they are.. it's not the roads fault

Who knows you might even get some cameras for good measure :roll:
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Gibbo » 17 May 2016, 8:57 am

On the bright side going slower may help us avoid the roos that we aren't allowed to shoot.... On a serious note, mobile phone use on roads is worrying and needs to be stamped out.
Gibbo
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by adam » 17 May 2016, 9:06 am

I doubt there will be much in camera's on rural roads. Rural roads = less traffic, thus more cost than revenue to make. (That is if they're back roads, and not highways). And since camera's are all about revenue... I strongly doubt there will be a camera blitz.

Edit: Then again this is the labour government, and they do like running in the red - so I could be wrong. ;)

I'm going to go out on a limb and have a different theory. No - this isn't for revenue raising this time....

But it's also not for safety....

.... it's for redirecting money from maintaining our rural roads to other areas.

There are already a number of rural roads that have been left unmaintained and degrading. The government doesn't see it can buy votes in certain rural areas - so wants to redirect it's cash away from maintaining roads in those rural areas to other locations.

They have been dropping speed limits on sections of these roads. I think this was a trial, and now they want to go wide spread with it all. It's about redirecting finance elsewhere, and leaving certain country seats to degrade.

I'm sure others who travel in rural areas have seen speed restrictions in the middle of no where simply because the road surface has degraded and the government won't fix them.

Whether we obey the speed limit or not it won't matter - the roads are going to degrade more... and with the worse surface you won't want to drive on them at 100kph.

This is just the opportunity the government is using to excuse themselves from not maintaining our roads and to buy votes elsewhere so people can't complain about the road surface not being suitable for the speed zone.
adam
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 17 May 2016, 12:47 pm

It was no so long ago once you were out of a town there was no speed limit in nsw.then the Nanny state started .

If you think its not for revenue.raising the cams are not owned by the Goverment they are privately owned and maintained the govement only takes a cut so it leaves it up to the contractor to say where they will get more $. now days they are all wifi so they dont even have to maintain on site

Have you seen the new type of cams GooGle :guard rail speed camera

A few months ago i downloaded an app on my Android phone called Samcam .
it said it would notify if you were aproching a speed cammera .
Ok i wil try it out just south of coffs there is a speed trap a fixed radar then 2oom to the next fixed cam and it picked them up no problem then its saying mobile camera ahead I thinking this is stuck in a loop then round the bend was a hand held radar was in coffs when downloaded it on the way to sydney it picked up all fixed radars and handheld and it broke into a phone call ( hands free ) It even warns where a cop is sitting at side of road or road works got me puzzled how it knows .
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 17 May 2016, 12:53 pm

Lack of maintenance by the local councils leads to accidents happening. Instead of blaming poor maintenance and doing something to improve the roads they blame excess speed and demand the limit be decreased. Poor bloody farmers gets screwed twice now...poor roads and risk of being fined.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 17 May 2016, 2:04 pm

Gibbo wrote:On the bright side going slower may help us avoid the roos that we aren't allowed to shoot.... On a serious note, mobile phone use on roads is worrying and needs to be stamped out.

Lol, Lady noisy was getting very cranky at having Roos hit her long suffering X Trail on average once a week so she would idle along in 1st gear and soon had a roo smash into the rear door!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 May 2016, 3:47 pm

Further proof that we don't live in a democratic country.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by sandgroperbill » 17 May 2016, 4:19 pm

Noisydad wrote:
Gibbo wrote:On the bright side going slower may help us avoid the roos that we aren't allowed to shoot.... On a serious note, mobile phone use on roads is worrying and needs to be stamped out.

Lol, Lady noisy was getting very cranky at having Roos hit her long suffering X Trail on average once a week so she would idle along in 1st gear and soon had a roo smash into the rear door!

Yup. Brother and i were driving back after a day of 4wding, saw a roo ahead, then another so decided to stop completely in case it was a mob. Next thing we hear a thud, a bloody roo has come out of the bush, across the road and jumoed straight into the side of the completely stationary hilux.

Yup. They're dumb buggers alright.
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by happyhunter » 18 May 2016, 8:53 am

I don't know how many of the posters actually live rural but it's rare to see a local not exceeding the speed limits. The unwritten rule seems to be whatever the number on the sign, add 20km.

On the bright side going slower may help us avoid the roos that we aren't allowed to shoot....

That's why we have bullbars.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Gwion » 18 May 2016, 11:52 am

happyhunter wrote:I don't know how many of the posters actually live rural but it's rare to see a local not exceeding the speed limits. The unwritten rule seems to be whatever the number on the sign, add 20km.

On the bright side going slower may help us avoid the roos that we aren't allowed to shoot....

Not in Tas. It's the speed limit minus 20km, minimum, preferably 30kph if you can. Then speed up to 10km over the speed limit on overtaking lanes because it's safer and you can make up some time! :crazy: :evil: :problem: :thumbsdown: :wtf:
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by on_one_wheel » 18 May 2016, 4:24 pm

happyhunter wrote:I don't know how many of the posters actually live rural but it's rare to see a local not exceeding the speed limits. The unwritten rule seems to be whatever the number on the sign, add 20km.

That's why I don't speed when roos are most active. I even avoid driving during those times if I can. Roos can still do plenty of damage even with a bullbar fitted, tails through radiators, roos into or through the windscreen, A pillars, headlights, spotlights, grill, sides of vehicle. ... it's just not worth the risk.

Not many people speed out my way, certainly not 20 over,
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by happyhunter » 19 May 2016, 12:38 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:

That's why I don't speed when roos are most active. I even avoid driving during those times if I can. Roos can still do plenty of damage even with a bullbar fitted, tails through radiators, roos into or through the windscreen, A pillars, headlights, spotlights, grill, sides of vehicle. ... it's just not worth the risk.

Not many people speed out my way, certainly not 20 over,

Hit many at highway speed on forest roads and never had vehicle damage. The troopy's bullbar just smacks them down and out the way just like a properly designed roobar should. I used to work dawn to dusk so avoiding peak skippy times would mean unemployment.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Yelp » 24 May 2016, 11:02 am

happyhunter wrote:Hit many at highway speed on forest roads and never had vehicle damage. The troopy's bullbar just smacks them down and out the way just like a properly designed roobar should. I used to work dawn to dusk so avoiding peak skippy times would mean unemployment.

You've got the height of the troopy working there for you too though.

Not the same for those with a sedan / non-4wd.

You've probably seen pics as well of skippy going over the bonnet through the windscreen instead, ouch!
Yelp
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel