Tell me about trailers and towing

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Tell me about trailers and towing

Post by Mitch » 15 Jul 2016, 10:48 am

Avoid the Treg hitch. Better ones out there
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 15 Jul 2016, 5:09 pm

Mitch wrote:Avoid the Treg hitch. Better ones out there

Have you seen the Treg hitch fail ?
Witch hitch do you prefer?
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 15 Jul 2016, 7:05 pm

Chronos wrote:

If you're welding it all up stay away from high tensile materials, they ain't high tensile where they're welded.

Chronos

Shouldn't be a problem if done with the correct grade wire (although I generally prefer stick electrodes for the greater heat input) or stick electrodes.
If done in conjunction with correct and accurate pre heat and post heat in a draft free workshop.
By correct and accurate I mean careful use of the proper crayons.

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Mitch » 15 Jul 2016, 8:15 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:
Mitch wrote:Avoid the Treg hitch. Better ones out there

Have you seen the Treg hitch fail ?
Witch hitch do you prefer?

Had a Treg. Now use McHitch. Never going back to Treg. Have also converted the old boy as well.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 25 Jul 2016, 11:57 am

Sorry for the late reply guys.

As for the points mentioned.

Primary reason for looking at dual axles is safety. Basically more rubber on the road to reduce sway, and a bit of redudancy in the event of a tire blow out. I imagine having a tyre blow out on a 2-wheel roller can be pretty dramatic and I'd be lieing if I said it didn't worry me a bit.

Perhaps I'm giving that more worry that it deserves?

As much as I'd love to have a quality/custom job built, due the nature of what I want the trailer for it's firmly placed in the 'fun' column of the household books, held by SWMBO, so cost is a factor. I'm don't want to go cheap ass, but an affordable off the shelf option is going to have to be the way at this point.

It has proven to be a bit tougher than I thought to find a recommended brand for trailers, as there seem to be lots of makers plying their trade in local areas which limits how much feedback is out there.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 09 Aug 2016, 11:32 am

Is anyone familiar with Carac trailers in Melbourne and the quality of their stuff?

Or the Galvanized Trailer Co. They seem to do pretty good stuff, galvanised obviously, $1200 for a 7x4 box with spare wheel in med duty.

And what they call heavy duty is $1500.

$195 extra on either for a 800mm cage.

Cheers.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel