Winching with two hand winches at once

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Winching with two hand winches at once

Post by chacka » 13 Sep 2016, 11:23 am

Wes wrote:Could be a goer at $100 instead of $1500.

You can certainly get a lot of gear for what you would pay for a winch, a lot of which you will (probably) use more often.

Like On One Wheel said, you need to service the things too, so that's more of an expense.

Compare $1,500 for a winch fitted like you've said. You could get that, or...

Hi-Lift Jack $180
Wheel-mate $80
Recovery kit (snatch strap, a few bow shackles, gloves, bridle, damper blanket) $200?
Pair of maxtrax $300
Tow hitch recovery point $50
Front recovery point $400?
12v air compressor and gadgets $200?

More stuff, depending on what you've already got or think will be useful to you.

Portable cooler to have a beer while you're stuck? :lol:

If your not doing really boggy stuff where you definitely need a winch that'll get you out of 99% of jams. This like the Hi-lift jack you can put to multiple uses, on-board air compressor to be able to drop tyre pressures for off road and sand driving will help avoid getting stuck before it happens too.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Sep 2016, 5:43 pm

Bourt wrote:
wanneroo wrote:2. Anchor points. Anchor points coming loose on vehicles kill people. I know of cases in Australia where ripped off anchor points have come through windshields and killed people. Whatever winching you plan on doing you better have solid anchor points on your vehicle

When you say 'anchor' point I assume you're talking about people using factory tie-down points or the tow-ball rather than a purpose built recovery point?

READ MY LAST POST ABOVE.

DEFINATELY NOT THE TOW BALL (if you value life or limb)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Sep 2016, 9:43 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:A high lift jack can double as a winch if you're desperate, that's all I have.

I put more energy and effort into avoiding getting stuck in the first place but failing that, 95% of the time all I need is a shovel.

I think if you just want a winch for that rare ocassion you get stuck one wheel is on the right track. High lift jack plus some basic kit will get you out of strife.
Just some chain, bow shackes and chain hooks and your in business.

Winches are expensive and if you are smart rarely used. And have thought about economocal options. I bought my 4x4 to keep me out of trouble, but I think Ill keep my eye open for a jack at the right price myself now.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 14 Sep 2016, 9:24 am

Die Judicii wrote:DEFINATELY NOT THE TOW BALL (if you value life or limb)

I know this.

I'm clarifying what he means by "anchor point", at that would not be clear in most people's terminology whether he means a rated "recovery point" or a factory "tie-down" point.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 14 Sep 2016, 10:37 am

Oldbloke wrote:I think if you just want a winch for that rare ocassion you get stuck one wheel is on the right track. High lift jack plus some basic kit will get you out of strife.

Just some chain, bow shackes and chain hooks and your in business.

Winches are expensive and if you are smart rarely used. And have thought about economocal options.

+1 for this and what Chacka said.

For about $800 you can get a Hi-Lift jack, Lift-Mate, 4x Maxtrax and a shovel, which will let you get yourself out any trouble short of being bogged to the axles (which doesn't like a possibility with the driving you're doing?)

For an extra $150 you can get a tow-hitch recovery point, snatch strap and shackles required for that one in a thousand time you can't get yourself out with the above bits, so that someone else can snatch you out.

For $250-$400 (depending on brand) you can get an on-board air compressor, lines, fittings, gauges etc. to be able to drop/increase tire pressures in the field to help avoid getting stuck in the first place.

Once off cost for all of it, no installation or servicing required, nothing that can really fail if not used for a few years, all lasts basically forever, and you can leave it in the shed instead of carrying it around when not in use. :thumbsup:

Two cents.
Last edited by Lorgar on 19 Sep 2016, 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 14 Sep 2016, 11:17 am

Lorgar wrote:Two cents.

To be honest, it really comes down to an individuals affordability and choice.
When I first started 4x4 ing, and going bush I didn't have a winch.

And even trying my hardest NOT to get stuck, one day I did.
If I had a snatch strap it wouldn't have helped in the least bit, cos I was on my own.
As it turned out, I walked 12 klms,,, and not a single vehicle came along.
The nearest residence and a helpful owner drove me back, and retrieved my vehicle.

Before the week was over I bought the winch, and have never regretted it.
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Gamerancher » 14 Sep 2016, 11:40 am

My younger brother does a lot of beach fishing in south-west W.A. Doesn't own any recovery gear, reckons everyone else carries heaps of it and can't wait to get it out and use it. :allegedly: Spends the money he saves on beer! :drinks:
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by wanneroo » 17 Sep 2016, 2:11 am

Bourt wrote:
wanneroo wrote:2. Anchor points. Anchor points coming loose on vehicles kill people. I know of cases in Australia where ripped off anchor points have come through windshields and killed people. Whatever winching you plan on doing you better have solid anchor points on your vehicle

When you say 'anchor' point I assume you're talking about people using factory tie-down points or the tow-ball rather than a purpose built recovery point?

There are lots of different vehicles out there and lots of different set ups. Whatever you use for an anchor point on your vehicle should be rated to be able to take the strain of whatever it is you are doing. I found a few cases in Australia of people hooking up to bull bars or some sort of anchor point on the vehicle that turned out to be rusty and when strain was put on it, it shattered and the metal went flying. You can have a purpose built anchor point that could fail too. Tow balls, no.

I think some people don't understand the concept of tire mire. In general if you get mud or snow up to your axles you are looking at needing 3 times the weight of the vehicle to get out and the equipment that can take that strain. If you don't, things will break completely or get damaged.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Sep 2016, 9:38 am

Gamerancher wrote:My younger brother does a lot of beach fishing in south-west W.A. Doesn't own any recovery gear, reckons everyone else carries heaps of it and can't wait to get it out and use it. :allegedly: Spends the money he saves on beer! :drinks:

I've seen that first hand.

While digging my wagon out of the sand on the beach, blokes with recovery gear hanging around like annoying salesman, "want a snatch? ... maxtrax ? I could winch ya out .."

I declined, if someone breaks their gear getting me out I'd feel obliged to pay for it .... what if they damaged their vehicle? $$$$

Here's something I'm yet to see anyone else do,
Dig like your digging the first trench on the front line and use your esky to cart in dry sand or dirt to build a "launch pad"
Once you've got a dry patch under the vehicle start slowly wheel rolling it to compact it while slowly making it longer and more compact.

Another one from left field I've successfully done is carrying water up from the beach and wetting the sand under and in front of the vehicle, not just a little water, countless bucket loads to wet it down deep.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Sep 2016, 10:09 am

My worst experience with an "expert" happened years ago, mid '80's, while on Fraser Island with my then girlfriend, (now wife). Got off the barge having been given an hour long lecture by said "expert" about the do's and don'ts on the sand and being shown his "home-made" super-dooper rear towbar that could "pull a D-9 out"! Off the barge and up the beach we go, soon enough we come across a SWB landcruiser bogged to the axles in a creek. "Stand back everyone" says the expert, "I'll handle this!" Gets out his snatch strap, has numerous attempts at snatching the bogged vehicle out with his almighty hi-lux, which, it is plain to see for everyone watching, hasn't got a hope in hell. So he backs right up to the 'cruiser, drops the clutch one more time and gives it buggery. The towbar lets go, comes flying back through the air and collects one of the blokes from the cruiser mid-thigh, almost severing his leg. I spent the next three hours sitting in foot deep cold water holding a towel and keeping pressure on this blokes leg to stop the bleeding from the compound fracture while we waited for the paramedics to come from Hervey Bay.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by on_one_wheel » 17 Sep 2016, 11:36 am

:shock: holy s**t !
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 17 Sep 2016, 2:43 pm

There is one of those in every workplace. :(
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 19 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

Die Judicii wrote:To be honest, it really comes down to an individuals affordability and choice.
When I first started 4x4 ing, and going bush I didn't have a winch.

And even trying my hardest NOT to get stuck, one day I did.
If I had a snatch strap it wouldn't have helped in the least bit, cos I was on my own.
As it turned out, I walked 12 klms,,, and not a single vehicle came along.
The nearest residence and a helpful owner drove me back, and retrieved my vehicle.

Before the week was over I bought the winch, and have never regretted it.

"To be honest, it really comes down to an individuals affordability and choice."

It does :thumbsup:

Don't get me wrong... I'm not knocking winches or trying to talk anyone out of one here. They're a great bit of gear and depending on what you're doing can be indispensable.

However, they're also the most expensive bit to buy, have ongoing maintenance costs, and for many people are the tool they're least likely to use (and where it is used they could have been gotten out easily enough without it).

I won't drivel on with how I use my 4X4, but in short, the likelihood of me needing a winch currently is as close to zero as it gets. I'm either in places I just won't get stuck, will only get into very minor trouble, and/or will have help about to be snatched out, and never out of anything too deep.

(And I'm fortunate enough to roll with a few mates who aren't idiots that I have to worry about turning into cowboys and doing a 15m run off for a snatch and breaking something/someone.)

I opted for what I outlined above, and spent the money on on-board air, recovery boards, straps/shackles, hi-lift etc. Cheaper, once off buys that I will use.

If you need a winch, if money is no object and you want to fit one just because, if you can justify buying one just for the peace of mine... whatever, if you want one, get one.

Just saying be smart with your cash. I'm don't think you'd dispute that a lot of people essentially pay $2k to add 50kg of weight to their bull bar.

If/when I do a trip through Cape York or the Kimberley's I'll definitely be getting one. But there is no real point for me before then.

2c / IMHO.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel