Winching with two hand winches at once

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Winching with two hand winches at once

Post by Wes » 09 Sep 2016, 4:04 pm

Perhaps the fact I couldn't find an answer to this in Google speaks for itself but here goes.

As nice as a proper electric winch for the 4x4 would be the price tag makes it a hard sell as it's a bit of a 'just in case' toy.

Plan B... I see hand winches on ebay cheap as, that say they are rated to a few tonne.

I know a hand winch is a epic pain compared to a proper one, how about 2 at once? I'm assuming if you're on one and you've got a mate on a second one both pulling you make it twice as easy/fast. Could be a goer at $100 instead of $1500.

Anyone know / done it?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Winching with two hand winches at once

Post by pete1 » 09 Sep 2016, 4:22 pm

yeh anything is possible when you put your mind to it, you can put a piece of bar on the end of the handle giving you more leverage to make it easier for you.
I've heard the ALDI winches are good for the money, but never used one myself. if you going to do it by hand be careful cause if that cable breaks and you are in the path of where its going to hit, they can kill you.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2016, 5:06 pm

Wes wrote:Perhaps the fact I couldn't find an answer to this in Google speaks for itself but here goes.

As nice as a proper electric winch for the 4x4 would be the price tag makes it a hard sell as it's a bit of a 'just in case' toy.

Plan B... I see hand winches on ebay cheap as, that say they are rated to a few tonne.

I know a hand winch is a epic pain compared to a proper one, how about 2 at once? I'm assuming if you're on one and you've got a mate on a second one both pulling you make it twice as easy/fast. Could be a goer at $100 instead of $1500.

Anyone know / done it?

I use a pair of come-along ratchet winches, but get some rated _way_ above the dead weight of the vehicle you want to move. A one-tonne winch might well be able to lift a one-tonne vehicle off the ground, but to try to drag a tonne out of a bog you might need a five-tonne winch, or more. Using two winches in tandem ensures the load stays in place on one winch while you reset the other one. A couple of air bag jacks can greatly reduce the load on the winch if you can get the tyres up to ground level and fill in the holes under them.
And keep in mind that a winch is not much use if you don't have anything to winch against so carry some good wire rope or chain as well. I got bogged once on a cleared development and the nearest tree of any kind was hundreds of meters away - I ended up calling a bloke with a bobcat to come and drag me out :-)
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pete1 » 09 Sep 2016, 6:30 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Wes wrote:Perhaps the fact I couldn't find an answer to this in Google speaks for itself but here goes.

Anyone know / done it?

I use a pair of come-along ratchet winches, but get some rated _way_ above the dead weight of the vehicle you want to move. A one-tonne winch might well be able to lift a one-tonne vehicle off the ground, but to try to drag a tonne out of a bog you might need a five-tonne winch, or more. Using two winches in tandem ensures the load stays in place on one winch while you reset the other one. A couple of air bag jacks can greatly reduce the load on the winch if you can get the tyres up to ground level and fill in the holes under them.
And keep in mind that a winch is not much use if you don't have anything to winch against so carry some good wire rope or chain as well. I got bogged once on a cleared development and the nearest tree of any kind was hundreds of meters away - I ended up calling a bloke with a bobcat to come and drag me out :-)

Well there is the old trick of berrying your spare wheel and winching off that but do at your own risk.
22LR
12G
12G
12G
pete1
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by happyhunter » 09 Sep 2016, 6:36 pm

Just use a snatch block or two. Two winches is stupid, unless you are using one to side winch to keep the vehicle from tipping while winching from the front (or back).
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2016, 7:46 pm

Wes wrote:

Anyone know / done it?

Ha Ha,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I was just thinking,, would that mean that the pair of you are just a "couple of pullers" ?

:silent: :silent:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2016, 7:51 pm

bladeracer wrote: I got bogged once on a cleared development and the nearest tree of any kind was hundreds of meters away - I ended up calling a bloke with a bobcat to come and drag me out :-)

Ever heard of what's called a ground anchor ??????????

Very easily made on the spot with a 1/2 dozen steel pickets, and very successful.
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 09 Sep 2016, 7:56 pm

pete1 wrote:Well there is the old trick of berrying your spare wheel and winching off that but do at your own risk.

I was in the suburbs so it was quicker and easier to get a bobcat that I knew was working in the area :-)
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Sep 2016, 9:08 pm

A high lift jack can double as a winch if you're desperate, that's all I have.

I put more energy and effort into avoiding getting stuck in the first place but failing that, 95% of the time all I need is a shovel.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2016, 9:48 pm

Whats a s/h tirfer cost. They used to be popular.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 09 Sep 2016, 10:35 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 10 Sep 2016, 5:35 am

Back in my younger and sillier days I got bogged in Murray river flood plain clay more times than I can remember. I've used a ratchet come along with success but they're slow and hard work. Then I bought a 3/4 tonne Tirfor at a clearing sale for $160. These things can pull WAY above their rated weight. I've pulled out a mates 3 tonne tractor that had broken through the surface crust in a chopped up gateway and sank to the foot plates. Two snatch blocks was the key on that job. Have also used a Hilift jack to move my ute sideways 2 meters to get un stuck. I found that a winch on the front of a 4x4 is expensive ballast as every time I've been bogged forwards was the last direction I wanted to go. If I was fitting an electric winch I'd be mounting it on the back!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 10 Sep 2016, 8:16 am

I had one on the front of my last ute. Best thing ever for straining 200m of hinge-joint fencing. :thumbsup: Also used it pulling calves.
The first owner of the vehicle had installed it, at only 9000 lb rating, I don't think it would have ever pulled the 4 tonnes of F250 out if I had ever bogged it properly. :D
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by happyhunter » 10 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:A high lift jack can double as a winch if you're desperate, that's all I have.

I put more energy and effort into avoiding getting stuck in the first place but failing that, 95% of the time all I need is a shovel.

Sometimes between point A to point B there is an obstacle that can't be *avoided* and you have to get stuck then unstuck to get there. Hi-Lift can be used as a make shift winch but any serious recovery needs the right gear if you want to get through safely.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by pomemax » 10 Sep 2016, 12:50 pm

I saw this some time ago interesting way to help yourself
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFDGGht3CQU
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by Noisydad » 10 Sep 2016, 1:05 pm

Just when you think you have plenty of D shackles, extension cable, straps, hook up chains etc., double it and then get some more extension cable. Even in the redgum bush along the Murray where you'd think there's no shortage of anchor points there's NEVER a tree where you want it!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2016, 2:24 pm

Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2016, 5:31 pm

pomemax wrote:I saw this some time ago interesting way to help yourself

It never fails to amaze me how much the yanks talk.

I could explainn that in 2 minutes
:lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Sep 2016, 7:06 pm

100_3654.JPG
100_3654.JPG (460.81 KiB) Viewed 7223 times
Noisydad wrote:Back in my younger and sillier days I got bogged in Murray river flood plain clay more times than I can remember. I've used a ratchet come along with success but they're slow and hard work. Then I bought a 3/4 tonne Tirfor at a clearing sale for $160. These things can pull WAY above their rated weight. I've pulled out a mates 3 tonne tractor that had broken through the surface crust in a chopped up gateway and sank to the foot plates. Two snatch blocks was the key on that job. Have also used a Hilift jack to move my ute sideways 2 meters to get un stuck. I found that a winch on the front of a 4x4 is expensive ballast as every time I've been bogged forwards was the last direction I wanted to go. If I was fitting an electric winch I'd be mounting it on the back!

You mean like mine above ?

I bought this winch new, and this is the 4th vehicle I've mounted it on.
This is the first time I've fitted it on the R Send.
It is very successful, but you have to jump through quite a few hoops to make it successful.

An adequate power supply being the first hurdle, cos they draw a lot of current.
I have the heaviest welding cable available,, carrying juice from the front battery via two heavy duty solenoids, to a second battery mounted with the winch itself.

It's always easier to pull yourself out backwards.
If you are hell bent on getting thru to the other side, you can still do it albeit in reverse.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 10 Sep 2016, 7:15 pm

Yup! Just like that!
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by pomemax » 10 Sep 2016, 8:29 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
pomemax wrote:I saw this some time ago interesting way to help yourself

It never fails to amaze me how much the yanks talk.

I could explainn that in 2 minutes
:lol:

yep i watched about 30s of that and knew what i neded
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by albat » 10 Sep 2016, 9:17 pm

albat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Sep 2016, 10:58 pm

albat wrote:http://www.bushwinch.com.au/the-bush-winch-advantages/direction-versatility/ check out this one

I heard about this idea 40 yrs ago. But never seen one. I get the feeling bush mehanics would have made these in the past. They seem to have potential.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wanneroo » 11 Sep 2016, 7:23 am

People might be surprised how many get killed winching. It's something I think a lot of people don't think about or don't take seriously. To me when it comes to off road recovery, the winch to me is the last resort. It's risky and can take forever. I'd rather use a high lift jack or air bag jack to build up stuff under the vehicle or preferably get snatched out with a sturdy snatch strap by another vehicle.

A couple of things I can think of right now to take into consideration:

1. Tire mire. In general if you are bogged up to the edge of the wheels you will need two times the weight of your vehicle in pulling power to get out. If you up to your axles you will need 3 times the pulling power to get out. Depends on your terrain and conditions and how badly you think you might get stuck, but that needs to factor into what equipment you purchase.

2. Anchor points. Anchor points coming loose on vehicles kill people. I know of cases in Australia where ripped off anchor points have come through windshields and killed people. Whatever winching you plan on doing you better have solid anchor points on your vehicle. Also you've got to think about what you can anchor to, another vehicle, a tree, a Pull Pal(another $500 but they do work) and how sturdy is that anchor point. I'd also recommend a tree saver(looks like a short snatch strap), that helps displace some of the force if you use a tree or similar object to anchor to.

3. Cable. Lots of people use steel cable still. It works but if it breaks and you are in the way there are plenty that have ended up decapitated, sliced in half and all the rest. Synthetic cable is more expensive but safer. When winching I would cover the cable with jackets, towels, etc. or you can buy a weighted bag to set on the cable. Doing so will help keep the likelihood of cable failing around and injuring someone.
wanneroo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Gwion » 11 Sep 2016, 7:52 am

^^^
Good info for the less experienced!
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2016, 11:59 am

Gwion wrote:^^^
Good info for the less experienced!

Here's a bit more for those a little inexperienced.

> What our Yankee friend said plus,,,,

When winching from the front, always put your bonnet up to save the windscreen.
Never ever step over the cable or stand close by in case of breakage under tension.
Most winch remote controls have a long cable,,,, use that length to operate from way off to the side, or get into the vehicle.

Also, if using snatch straps, NEVER hook it onto a tow ball,,, always use the tow hooks that most 4WD's are supplied with.
If the tow ball snaps, it becomes a steel cannonball.

Several years ago, a local 4WD accessory shop made a TV commercial, that showed a snatch strap
being hooked onto a tow ball. :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :crazy: :crazy:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Sep 2016, 3:17 pm

There's lots of 12 000lb winches on the market, something to remember is that most steel bullbars are only rated to around
9 500lb.

I think winches are great, most people lug one around on the front of their bus for years, addind weight to your bullbar which in turn puts extra stress on tour chassis on rough roads and come time to use it .... when you're REALY stuck you realize that that lump of junk has sat there for 5 years in the elements without use or maintenance and is now frozen solid.
Keep em serviced folks.

glasshouse31-7080.jpg
glasshouse31-7080.jpg (189.06 KiB) Viewed 7210 times

There's 2 types of four wheel drivers, those who put every effort into completely avoiding trouble and heros looking for a challenge.
Look at that idiot in the picture. .. perfectly good road around the mud hole, no he'll just lob straight into it.
Last edited by on_one_wheel on 11 Sep 2016, 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2016, 4:36 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Look at that idiot in the picture. .. perfectly good road around the mud hole, no he'll just lob straight into it.

And further tearing the road up that other people will have to drive through someday.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Wes » 13 Sep 2016, 10:06 am

Oldbloke wrote:Whats a s/h tirfer cost. They used to be popular.

Seems about $300 - $500 depending on model and condition.
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 13 Sep 2016, 10:08 am

wanneroo wrote:2. Anchor points. Anchor points coming loose on vehicles kill people. I know of cases in Australia where ripped off anchor points have come through windshields and killed people. Whatever winching you plan on doing you better have solid anchor points on your vehicle

When you say 'anchor' point I assume you're talking about people using factory tie-down points or the tow-ball rather than a purpose built recovery point?
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel