Can be a tough drive I'm told.

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Can be a tough drive I'm told.

Post by Die Judicii » 09 Sep 2016, 7:58 pm

Anyone here done the drive to Bamaga ??

I'd like to hear 1st hand from someone that's actually done it, and preferably within the last couple years.
Also what vehicle, mods, extras etc

:thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Can be a tough drive I'm told.

Post by on_one_wheel » 09 Sep 2016, 8:58 pm

I wish I could say that I've done it but for what it's worth, here's some second hand information.

I know a chick that did Cape York recently in a stock standard Tojo Troup Carrier.
She also has photographic proof of doing the "gunshot" in the same vehicle.

She told me the roads weren't all that challenging but it was crazy bussy ...gridlock in places at the time.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Mitch » 10 Sep 2016, 6:51 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
I know a chick that did Cape York recently in a stock standard Tojo Troup Carrier.
She also has photographic proof of doing the "gunshot" in the vehicle.

Doing gunshot chicken tracks or normal, cause I don't know anyone who has done proper gunshot without assistance to get either in or out of it?

My experience:
Did it 2 years ago.
Nissan Navara D22 single cab
2" lift
Bullbar
Side steps
Winch (never used it, wouldn't bother again)
AT tyres.

As far as driving to bamaga, I assume you will go via the Tele track?

We went September October school holidays (roughly) wasn't busy in the slightest.

The Tele track is fine, but a bit cautious. Later in year = less water.

Palm creek is where my sidesteps saved my sill being punched in. It's first up after bramwell junction.

Apart from that just walk the creeks, look for holes, and you'll be fine.

Nolans brook was fairly deep still, just walk it, and be ready to get pulled out if needed. The one before nolans was deeper (came up to my windscreen).

If you're talking the peninsula development road then it's a dirt road, that's all. Corrugated a aren't too bad, just drive properly.
Mitch
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 10 Sep 2016, 9:00 am

^^^^ iv'e done it ,about ten years ago now and what mitch says is pretty much right,if you use a bit of common sense you wont go wrong,,don't do gunshot unless you like damage to your car :thumbsdown: mind you it can be done,,take a video if you do :thumbsup: :twisted:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 11 Sep 2016, 3:34 pm

tom604 wrote:^^^^ iv'e done it ,about ten years ago now and what mitch says is pretty much right,if you use a bit of common sense you wont go wrong,,don't do gunshot unless you like damage to your car :thumbsdown: mind you it can be done,,take a video if you do :thumbsup: :twisted:

+ 1 on the gunshot, be stuffed If I'd risk serious damage that far from home.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Sep 2016, 9:49 pm

Thanks chaps,

Much appreciated feedback. :thumbsup:
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Baz460 » 12 Sep 2016, 11:30 am

Hi. I live in Cairns and have driven up there a few times, forget gunshot, just stick to the main road and you will have no problems. Depending on whether the road has just been graded or not you could have some corrugation to deal with. Apart from that, forget about what you hear and read, as most people that write and comment on the Cape road, are trying to make themselves look like 'Hard Core 4 Wheel Drivers, (up here we call them Cape Rapers,) common sense, drive to the conditions, no overloaded roof racks, and it is a walk in the park in any reliable 4x4.
Baz460
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 12 Sep 2016, 9:34 pm

Baz460 wrote:Hi. I live in Cairns and have driven up there a few times, forget gunshot, just stick to the main road and you will have no problems. Depending on whether the road has just been graded or not you could have some corrugation to deal with. Apart from that, forget about what you hear and read, as most people that write and comment on the Cape road, are trying to make themselves look like 'Hard Core 4 Wheel Drivers, (up here we call them Cape Rapers,) common sense, drive to the conditions, no overloaded roof racks, and it is a walk in the park in any reliable 4x4.

Thanks Baz,,,,,,,,,
The furthest north I've been up there so far is Kowanyama.
:drinks:
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by franc » 26 Sep 2016, 1:18 pm

Baz460 wrote:most people that write and comment on the Cape road, are trying to make themselves look like 'Hard Core 4 Wheel Drivers

I got through a rut thiiiiiiiiiis big :lol:
Remington 700. .308 Winchester.
franc
Private
Private

Tasmania

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel