Mud terrain tyres on the road and daily driver

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Mud terrain tyres on the road and daily driver

Post by chacka » 13 Sep 2016, 10:46 am

I'm after some mud terrain tyre advice from fellow four-wheelers here.

I've been running BFGoodrich all-terrain since getting the 4X4 and have been perfectly happy with them, probably about 10k left in them so the time is coming to replace and I'm thinking about giving M/T tyres a go.

I don't do anything extreme, but go 'proper' off-road 10-15 times a year so it does get used. Fire trails, bush access, some moderate 4WD tracks etc.

Thinking swapping the rubber could be an opportunity to take the off-road stuff up a notch, but it is the daily drive so performance on the road is important too.

Main concern is handling / grip in the wet.

Very distance second concern is noise. I don't know one tyre from the other but have driven along side other 4x4's which clearly had muddies and on some the tyre noise was marginally louder, on others "tyre roar" was definitely the right term. Droning and loud as hell.

What do we think?
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Re: Mud terrain tyres on the road and daily driver

Post by chacka » 13 Sep 2016, 10:50 am

Should have said more specifically, running BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/A KO2 which I've been real happy with.

Would likely stick to same family and go for their Mud-Terrain T/A KM2 if doing it.
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusTac » 13 Sep 2016, 11:42 am

I've have just wrapped my wrangler in a set of bfg all terrain k0'2, which are awesome for most stuff ran into a bit of trouble in some mud but this was some next level 4x4ing.

I think you'll find theres a big sacrifice on road/wet if you go mt's, especially noise related.

Brands id look at personally are bfg, general tyre, maxxis just to name a few

Perfectly happy with my at's they get me through some narlie stuff
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by yoshie » 13 Sep 2016, 12:04 pm

Ive got maxxis trepadors on my suziki, i don't dirve it much, its a 3rd vechicle ( i have a work van for too and from work and i drive it around mostly because its usually last one in and stuff swapping 3 cars around to get it out) I haven't noticed much differace in wet weather stopping distances, noise is defiantly up. The rubber compound is very pliable which is probably why they are good in the wet, ive done 20,000km on this set and i dont think I'll get another 10,000 out of them.
yoshie
Sergeant
Sergeant

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Norton » 13 Sep 2016, 12:14 pm

Unless your constantly slogging it through the mud I'd say no.

They're equal or worse that an A/T in every other setting so you really need to be wallowing around to justify them.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by happyhunter » 13 Sep 2016, 12:49 pm

If you are happy to put up with increased noise and increased fuel consumption then go for it. Otherwise stick to the A/Ts. or set a second set of wheels fitted with M/Ts for when you head off road.
happyhunter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Other

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 4:32 pm

I'm not sure where you get increased fuel consumption from. I've run muddies on all my fourbies and have only noticed an increase in fuel consumption when I've increased overall diameter.
I've run several different sorts and honestly can't remember the different types but one that stood out was the Goodyear wrangler MT. It was quiet,handled very well on the road,worked great in muddy conditions,worked pretty well on rocks and sand,and was reasonably priced. It just didn't last real long as what made it so good,the softer rubber compound,also let it wear out quicker.
Personally,if your able to afford it,I'd recommend buying a second set of rims and putting on a set of cheap aggressive mud tyres for when you want them. That's what I should have done back when I could afford to play with fourbies :-)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Harper » 13 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

The noise factor is tricky.

I reckon it would be great if a tyre chain did some kind of shoot-out between the 10 most popular muddies and A/T tyres and tested noise levels on them so you could know ahead of time.

In my daily travels I see a few of the same fourbies regularly as we share the same roads to work. A few have muddies which are noticeably louder driving beside them, but not crazy. Inside the cabin I would think the increase is minimal.

One guy has a patrol though, and I don't know what tyres he has on it but they are loud as #&^$!!! :lol:

It would do my head in driving on them daily.
Savage 14/114 American Classic 30-06 Springfield
Savage Axis 25-06 Remington
Harper
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Post by MalleeFarmer » 13 Sep 2016, 5:12 pm

The first 2 sets of tyres on my Hilux were Goodyear MT/R Kevlars fantastic tyres both sets did 50,000k and not a puncture or tyre failure the first set we did flinders twice and a trip through the centre from the mallee up to Darwin doing Oodnadatta track then up to Dalhalsie springs then headed across to Uluru and kings canyon. Then up to west Mac ranges through the Finke gorge track. We then went up north and did all of Kakadu and Lichfield. Not a single tyre issue. I think the big plus for proper Muddies is I have found is a much tougher Carcass (quality brand) and better traction on shaley stuff/rocks and Mud. Even on dirt roads I find them better. But in deep sand they just bury you and on road they do lose out a little for wear and noise. I have gone back to ATs now since having kids I cannot justify the extra $$ for good muddies nor the increased wear or noise. But I may be doing the cape in 2018 so I may invest in some MTs again for that.
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 5:19 pm

if youre getting off the asphalt 10-15 pa times then GO MT. if you dont then you're nuts.

it only takes one 'extended stay' in a mud filled bog to wish you had have gone MT instead of AT..... believe me....

Go a bit wider.. yes you'll have less grip in the wet on the black stuff but MT will get you out of trouble in the messy stuff
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 5:29 pm

Harper wrote:
I reckon it would be great if a tyre chain did some kind of shoot-out between the 10 most popular muddies and A/T tyres and tested noise levels on them so you could know ahead of time.

4x4 Australia magazine did just this a few years ago. BF Goodrich's came out on top. I got em put on my work ute and they were great everywhere but sand,where they were ******
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 13 Sep 2016, 5:37 pm

bigpete wrote:4x4 Australia magazine did just this a few years ago. BF Goodrich's came out on top. I got em put on my work ute and they were great everywhere but sand,where they were ******

in no part due to them being the biggest advertiser perhaps??
250 to 300 a corner is way too much.

I bought the cheapest Mud tyres about 10 yrs ago....they failed me only once - and were replaced no question when a side wall was pierced by something. Dont be sucked in.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by bigpete » 13 Sep 2016, 5:46 pm

Quite possibly. I was just pointing out that there has been comparisons done. I personally quite liked my simex centipedes off road
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by brett1868 » 14 Sep 2016, 12:18 am

I've recently bought a Ford Ranger XLT, the standard tyres in the wet are crap so I'm also considering something better along the Mud / All Terrain route. Is there an intermediate type tyre? Something between factory fitment and full on mud bashing like a "Moist Soil" tyre :D . I'm looking for better grip in the wet and good enough for soft sand with the occasional rain soaked dirt track.

Suggestions so far have been very helpful as I'm in a similar situation as chacka

My fuel economy has been awesome so far :clap:
IMG_2651.JPG
Mix of peak hour gridlock and commuting into Sydney CBD
IMG_2651.JPG (81.74 KiB) Viewed 15337 times
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 14 Sep 2016, 1:01 am

Brett, does it have the adaptive cruse control thing ( I mean that it maintains the safe distance without driver input ) ??? that stuff is awsome in my book... :drinks: ..

The best combination I've ever encountered is diff lockers with chains on all 4 wheels.... If that don't do the job then you should buy a TANK.... :D ...

Cheers

Jeff
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by petemacsydney » 14 Sep 2016, 9:49 am

brett1868 wrote:I've recently bought a Ford Ranger XLT, the standard tyres in the wet are crap so I'm also considering something better along the Mud / All Terrain route. Is there an intermediate type tyre? Something between factory fitment and full on mud bashing like a "Moist Soil" tyre :D . I'm looking for better grip in the wet and good enough for soft sand with the occasional rain soaked dirt track.

Suggestions so far have been very helpful as I'm in a similar situation as chacka

My fuel economy has been awesome so far :clap:
IMG_2651.JPG

have a look at the Bridgestone Dueler 697 A/T's. just put a set on my 4x4.
it is sooo much stickier in the rain on the tarmac - its absolutely chalk and cheese compared to the khumo a/t's that were on it when i bought it.
it also went really well on the beach the other day - i pushed them hard on some deep sandy traps and sandy hills. very happy indeed.
as for mud, i haven't had the chance yet.
i am very impressed :-)
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Supaduke » 14 Sep 2016, 10:03 am

Moist....... ;)

For some reason that word makes the missus freak out. Especially when you walk around the house saying it with a little added sleaziness 'Mooooiiiisst'.

Back on topic, it's a choice you have to make. MTs are a compromise about 90% of the time. But that 10% can be reeeeally important when you are nuts deep in mud.
Supaduke
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Sep 2016, 10:42 am

bigpete wrote:4x4 Australia magazine did just this a few years ago. BF Goodrich's came out on top. I got em put on my work ute and they were great everywhere but sand,where they were ******

Their M/T or A/T tyres came out on top?

Or both did for their type?
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Rakk » 20 Sep 2016, 11:40 am

A mate has Cooper Mud Terrains on his Patrol and to my ears they're not significantly different from inside the cabin.
Rakk
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by tractor88 » 22 Sep 2016, 11:52 am

Have used the BF Goodrich muddies on our Landcruiser now for 60,000k's many of which have been on bitumen and when off road in the Vic High Country where it gets very muddy and sticky. Cannot recommend these tyres enough. Excellent on wet bitumen, can't complain about being noisy on road as they aren't any worse than the BFG All Terrains we have used previously and when in the bush have been awesome when crossing rivers and sticky bog holes. Tyre technology has come a long way when it comes to mud tyres and I would now only run an aggressive quality tyre for the driving we do. I have even found the BFG muddy great on Fraser Island where we ran them at 16psi all day long and were passing those stuck to the axles in the soft stuff.
Seriously give them a go if your after an aggressive off road tyre and remember to adjust your pressures for the type of driving you are doing. In the bush 22psi has never failed me, and if required 14-16 psi for the real ugly stuff.
Cheers.
tractor88
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Sep 2016, 2:11 pm

I spent about half the cost of BFGs and installed mudstar cheapies....done 100k on then and I'll probably get the same again.... they work well on the hilux when in the deep sticky stuff....anywhere else....

If the name is more important then get the BFGs or the Coopers :unknown:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by tom604 » 22 Sep 2016, 2:38 pm

200 thousand ?? must be made out of steel :lol: wouldn't like the grip they must give on road, you would be sliding all over the place :o or at least i would, little bit of a lead foot :oops: (that's what the missus says anyway) :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by 99problems » 22 Sep 2016, 4:55 pm

Why not go for something in the middle of muddies and AT, like Coopers St Maxx or the Mickey Thompson equivalent. Been happy with my ST Maxx's.
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm

99problems wrote:Why not go for something in the middle of muddies and AT, like Coopers St Maxx or the Mickey Thompson equivalent. Been happy with my ST Maxx's.

Because when you're deep in the mud.... tyres that are a compromise will leave you late for dinner :o :)
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 22 Sep 2016, 6:36 pm

tom604 wrote:200 thousand ?? must be made out of steel :lol: wouldn't like the grip they must give on road, you would be sliding all over the place :o or at least i would, little bit of a lead foot :oops: (that's what the missus says anyway) :thumbsup:

200?....I said 100, but they kinda needed replacement about 20k ago :lol: been meaning to get around to it
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by 99problems » 22 Sep 2016, 6:55 pm

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
99problems wrote:Why not go for something in the middle of muddies and AT, like Coopers St Maxx or the Mickey Thompson equivalent. Been happy with my ST Maxx's.

Because when you're deep in the mud.... tyres that are a compromise will leave you late for dinner :o :)

What about the other 90% of driving that's not in the mud?

You must drive in a lot of deep mud to get 100k out of muddies :drinks:
99problems
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 23 Sep 2016, 8:27 am

oops my bad :oops: thought it read that you would get another 100k out of them not what you really wrote, that you would get "another set" of them :oops:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 23 Sep 2016, 8:32 am

99problems wrote:
<<Genesis93>> wrote:

What about the other 90% of driving that's not in the mud?

You must drive in a lot of deep mud to get 100k out of muddies :drinks:

When I first bought the Hilux it had the standard mt 'runners' on it.... slightly wet road = slalom skiing...
Changing to the decent size muddies provided much more rubber on the road...and a lot more grip. I'd prefer to drive carefully on the road anyway, if it means the tyres work in all/most conditions.
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by MalleeFarmer » 23 Sep 2016, 10:42 am

<<Genesis93>> wrote:
tom604 wrote:200 thousand ?? must be made out of steel :lol: wouldn't like the grip they must give on road, you would be sliding all over the place :o or at least i would, little bit of a lead foot :oops: (that's what the missus says anyway) :thumbsup:

200?....I said 100, but they kinda needed replacement about 20k ago :lol: been meaning to get around to it

The canvas is a 2000k wear marker :thumbsup:
"Agriculture is our wisest pursuit, because it will in the end contribute most to real wealth, good morals and happiness." Thomas Jefferson
MalleeFarmer
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by SckSqzBngBlo » 22 Sep 2019, 7:40 pm

When I had my dmax, I ran the standard Bridgestone 693 AT on the road or beach, and I then I had a 2nd set of factory alloys with larger Kumho MT. I can't really fault any of the Kumho I've had over the years in any area except wear rate, which is fine by me. I wouldn't want to be driving anywhere on 15 year old rubber (given they were only used for 4wd weekends).
Going between the two, I was always amazed at how much better the factory spec'd tyre performed on sealed roads. Quicker acceleration, better steering, better braking, less roll.
SckSqzBngBlo
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel