Mud terrain tyres on the road and daily driver

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Mud terrain tyres on the road and daily driver

Post by DownunderDutchman » 25 Sep 2019, 6:04 pm

I own 2 XJ Cherokees both run muddies, but will go to all terrains next as the muddies wear to fast on the road, and as much as I go on 4x4 tracks all terrains will do me just fine and have a way better life span. Never had a problem with muddies on the road in the wet, but then again I take it easy when it does rain. For my use all terrains are the way to go, if I ever get stuck my winch will get me going again.
To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize. Voltaire
DownunderDutchman
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juano86 » 27 Sep 2019, 8:59 am

I used to run the KO2's and went the Kumho MT51's about 70k ago. Iv been really impressed with them, awesome grip and sidewall protection. i don't do a lot of 'hectic' rock-crawling or anything like that, but would be bush at least 20+ times a year in varying country and conditions. Mostly loose / sharp traprock country though. They have been a great tyre and ill be running them again when the time comes. Wear hasn't been terrible, keep up with the rotation like any MT/AT.
@juan_hunts
juano86
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Chappo » 27 Sep 2019, 6:58 pm

Hi Chacka
I’ve only read your post and nobody else’s yet but I would say give them a run. (Bfg mud)
By far the best tyres I’ve had.

I’ve gone the other way. I’ve had bfg muds for years and consistently had 80-100 thousand k’s from each set.
I’m now about 50 thousand k’s into my first set of bf all terrains and the wear seems on par with the muds.
Road noise and fuel consumption are no different.
95% of my use is on the tar.
I run 31/10.5/15 on a Hj45
Make sure they say made in USA on them and NOT made in Taiwan! There is a BIG difference to longevity but not price.
Cheers.....
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chappo » 27 Sep 2019, 7:05 pm

A quick story.....
I staked a brand new bfg mud with a piece of 12mm reo steel bar.
It went into the tread and out the sidewall.
I used a $10 puncture repair kit for both punctures that I keep in the glovebox.
I kept that tyre on the rear of the Ute from fear of the sidewall repair failing.
Around 90 thousand k’s and 4 years later with no issues from my amateur repair that tyre was worn out and replaced.
Chappo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Daz243 » 28 Sep 2019, 10:13 am

Last set of bfg KO2 AT's lasted 75000km on the patrol. 95% on the road the rest in snow and dirt. Good for what I need.
I actually put a new set on yesterday. $300 per tyre...priced good enough for me..
Daz243
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel