Build your ultimate 4WD

Four wheel driving. Vehicle modifications. Off road driving and recovery techniques. Towing and miscellaneous vehicle topics.

Re: Build your ultimate 4WD

Post by <<Genesis93>> » 17 Sep 2016, 8:23 am

5x5 = 25 ratios.... like a lucky dip choosing the ratio :lol:
<<Genesis93>>
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

-

Post by Gamerancher » 17 Sep 2016, 9:19 am

Mack trucks built that gearbox years ago, it's called a QUADBOX. I learnt to drive in one. Two gearsticks, 5 speed on main and 4 speed on compound =20 speed. Take some driving, I doubt there would be any modern "truckies" out there would have any idea how to drive one. You wind up skipping gears as a few of the ratio's overlap, From memory about 200 rpm between gears means a very close-ratio gearbox.
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 17 Sep 2016, 11:00 pm

Gamerancher wrote:Mack trucks built that gearbox years ago, it's called a QUADBOX. I learnt to drive in one. Two gearsticks, 5 speed on main and 4 speed on compound =20 speed. Take some driving, I doubt there would be any modern "truckies" out there would have any idea how to drive one. You wind up skipping gears as a few of the ratio's overlap, From memory about 200 rpm between gears means a very close-ratio gearbox.

Dead right there Mate,,,
It's just a matter of making your choice, after coming out of rocks,,,, and wanting it to climb trees.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Lorgar » 19 Sep 2016, 2:46 pm

huccl wrote:I get these feeling none of this is even remotely what he was asking about :lol:

I'll pitch a more realistic one.

As a dedicated tourer / off-roader, if someone else was footing the bill (fuel bill too?) I'd go a LandCruiser 200 in the top trim level. VX or Sahara, whichever one it is.

4.5L V8 Twin Turbo-diesel. Add a snorkel.

Put some 35" tires on.

Have someone build me a manual gearbox for the thing because they only do the 200 in automatic for some reason, which I loathe, and re-do gear ratios to suit wheel diameter increase.

Front and rear lockers (if not standard, can't remember for the 200).

2" lift.

I do like a lot of the ARB stuff, price has a bit of a premium on it but since someone else is paying the bill I'd just give em the car and basically say one of everything....

Deluxe bull bar with winch, and front recovery points. Brush bars and steel side steps. A pair of the AR32 Intensity lights, one spot beam, one flood beam.

Under vehicle protection. Either the 180L long range tank or 122L/55L fuel/water combination tank.

Replacement steel rear-bar with spare carrier and jerry-can holders. Flood light(s) on the back. Recovery hitch, winch cradle and second winch for the rear (or custom build to install one in the rear bar if possible).

Full length touring rack with a Simpson III roof top tent. Brackets/mounts around the rack to hold all the usual jacks, maxtrax etc. And an awning.

High-output on-board compressor with tank. Auxiliary battery. Solar panels, except I CBF setting them up all the time so have someone build me a clever tray that pulls out from under the roof rack or something then slides away, no setup or lugging them around.

I like my boot space so wouldn't want to part with more than a 3rd of it, but have a partition of some sort custom made to take up a side third. Get a draw system in their, chunky fridge, 3000w inverter is the biggest I think they do now... throw one of those in just in case :lol:

Portable hot water if it can be fit in there?

I never tow anything but while they're in there throw in whatever the latest brake controller is.

Uuum. I think that will do, ha.

Realistically I have absolutely no need for that much grunt, it just makes the kid in me drool, lol. The 200 has a hell of a fat ass too, wouldn't want one as the daily driver for the burbs or city but if Santa is bringing me a dedicated tourer I'll live with it :mrgreen:
Last edited by Lorgar on 06 Oct 2016, 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 19 Sep 2016, 3:04 pm

If you want to add all that to a 200 you'd better replace the chassis. Have a look at their GVM, can't carry s**t!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by WayneO » 19 Sep 2016, 3:04 pm

In my humble opinion, the best 4x4 you could ever ask for is a Cruiser 100 VX 4.5 Automatic petrol with a suspension upgrade, 31 BFG MT Tyres, Harrop e-lockers front and rear. Replacemnt front and back bar with twin wheel carriers on the back. 12000lb winch, full protection plates, storage system in rear and 2 x 105Amp batteries of a CTEC dc to dc battery system, rear seat removed and 4 x 50l fridges.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wobble » 19 Sep 2016, 4:24 pm

200L of refrigeration :lol:

You doing all the catering our bush, Wayne? :D
Weatherby Vanguards in .300 Weatherby Magnum and .243 Winchester
Wobble
Corporal
Corporal

Western Australia

Post by brett1868 » 19 Sep 2016, 10:32 pm

The Ultimate 4x4 eh....No Challenge - Budget rent Land Cruisers from around $140 a day. We all know Rental Cars are magic and capable of feats no ordinary car can achieve :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by darwindingo » 19 Sep 2016, 11:29 pm

True ! Rentals are Bulletproof.. :twisted: :lol: Don't think I'd buy an ex rental though ! :lol:
“Accidental Discharges” DO NOT OCCUR !!

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

I love my country, but fear my government.
darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by jeebo » 29 Sep 2016, 3:24 pm

brett1868 wrote:The Ultimate 4x4 eh....No Challenge - Budget rent Land Cruisers from around $140 a day. We all know Rental Cars are magic and capable of feats no ordinary car can achieve :)

You mean like crossing terrain no one who has to pay the repair bills for would dare? :lol:
Winchester Model 1894 30-30
Zastava M85 Standard .222 Rem
Bang bang!
jeebo
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by WayneO » 29 Sep 2016, 3:59 pm

Wobble wrote:200L of refrigeration :lol:

I like to have cold beer, ice and lots and lots of meat when I travel. I also end up doing most of the cooking because I just love cooking.
"The darkest places in hell are reserved for those who maintain their neutrality in times of moral crisis" Dante's Inferno
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 29 Sep 2016, 10:43 pm

WayneO wrote:
Wobble wrote:200L of refrigeration :lol:

I like to have cold beer, ice and lots and lots of meat when I travel. I also end up doing most of the cooking because I just love cooking.

So how the hell do you store the meat mate ? I mean we are only talking a 200L space for ice and beer... Well that's got a long weekend sorted for the ice and beer, but what about the meat ? salted I'm guessing ? :lol:

:drinks:

Jeff

An "Unintended Discharge" is nothing more than the lack of appropriate safety procedures or the failure to follow them..!

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by WayneO » 03 Oct 2016, 4:03 pm

National Luna Fridges. You can a few make cases of beer very cold, very quickly.
WayneO
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by darwindingo » 03 Oct 2016, 4:07 pm

Sounds like my kind of fridge, I'll have to check them out mate.

:drinks:

darwindingo
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Carter » 07 Oct 2016, 2:21 pm

Gamerancher wrote:If you want to add all that to a 200 you'd better replace the chassis. Have a look at their GVM, can't carry s**t!

For the cost, size and grunt they've they don't seem to be able to carry a lot for it. :unknown:
Carter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Next

Return to Four wheel driving and off road travel